AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 08:52   Link #201
Cpuroast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoujin View Post
Which would be those issues? Are you still experiencing errors with rev10-test2 that were mentioned before?
No issues in particular, and not related to the crashes mentioned before.

I was just talking about the few issues that are listed in the TRAC. Like, video and sound stops while menu are opened or menus appear underneath floating window, etc.

And features to implement like, chapter control button on full screen controls or On-top when playing only, etc,
Old 2009-04-17, 13:39   Link #202
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
Oh, and another update, rev10-test2!

I dare you to try the improved scrubbing bar in this one! Amazing what a few changes can yield in usability. Scrubbing was dead-impossible with the old one (the player always had to do annoying catch-up after some dragging and the position update was dead slow) and now it's easily on par with QT (mind you, MPlayer still does keyframe-precise seeking and sucks at keeping pause).

Also, there are two performance improvements: Language codes are now loaded from a binary plist (3-5x faster) and I switched to RegexKitLite for output parsing. That means smaller size (the ICU regex library is already included with OSX, while the PCRE from RegexKit had to be included with the application) and regex line-splitting is 10-20x faster than the old approach using NSScanner.
Wow, pans are noticeably smoother now. In general, everything seems considerably faster than it was before. I freaking love this player now.

Thanks for the great update!

EDIT: My god, not only are the pans silky smooth, but nearly everything seems smoother--especially the cpu-intensive areas of certain HD videos. The playback has improved considerably for me, and it's gorgeous. This is the best player for OSX, by far.

Last edited by Proudleaf; 2009-04-17 at 14:46. Reason: further details
Old 2009-04-17, 18:17   Link #203
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
And bam, rev10 is out!

Additionaly to rev10-test2, rev10 final also fixes the skipping buttons on the player window and the fullscreen controls. They didn't properly skip chapters and didn't properly close a file when reaching its end. Chapter position parsing has been fixed and updated to be more accurate and when the end of the file is reached it's actually stopped instead of restarted (an oddity in MPlayer itself).

Also, I've opened the MPlayer OSX Extended Forums for discussion of development and to report issues for people who are not confident with using Trac.
Old 2009-04-17, 21:14   Link #204
sk3

I've been thinking... after all these great updates to functionality wouldn't it be great for a interface revamp ? i mean, this GUI is very old, not that it's bad but i guess it could be made better using more "recent mac style GUI"s

I can only think of dark GUI based on HUD or something like that for GUI, i think that would definitely rock on OS X and would be a major killer for all the other players on the mac side (die VLC )

EDIT: And btw, tkx for the update anime_layer
Old 2009-04-19, 11:18   Link #205
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

I don't know if anyone else as experienced this, but whenever I play a file that can be played with AC3 or DTS pass-through, I lose audio for other programs like Safari, and have to restart my MBP to get audio back. This does not happen for files with regular audio types. Sometimes, audio even stops working for MPlayer after closing a digital audio-capable file and trying to play another file. FYI I'm using a mini-optical cable to hook up my MBP to digital speakers
Old 2009-04-19, 14:45   Link #206
sk3

I don't even know what those options are made for

Anyone care to explain?
Old 2009-04-19, 14:58   Link #207
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Well if you have digital capable speakers and have AC3 and DTS checked under the audio tab in preferences, MPlayer will output in 5.1 Digital Surround. My problem is whenever I close a file that has digital audio, it messes with my MPB's audio somehow in other programs (i.e. no sound for a YouTube video in Safari). It may not be an MPlayer problem even and a Mac problem instead.

Last edited by exs120; 2009-04-19 at 15:09.
Old 2009-04-19, 20:12   Link #208
sk3

Hm i got it, so by default mplayer will make all audio 2.0 ? maybe that's the reason i have low volume on some files that have 5.1 audio.

But your problem sounds like it's more a system problem i guess. Have you tried using QT + Perian and changing option on perian to switch from surround to stereo and see if that happens also?
Old 2009-04-19, 21:47   Link #209
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Well I played a 5.1 file w/ MPlayer earlier today and never restarted my MBP yet, but when I just tried to play a normal .mkv file, MPlayer just froze up and now has playback errors. If a file does open, it won't start and just stay motionless. Now my audio is really messed up in other programs, as well. For example, in iTunes I can select and play a song, but it will not start. This is not the first time it has happened, either. It always gets back to normal w/ a restart, but I wish I didn't have to. Once again, not sure if MPlayer is to blame, but it is disconcerting that if I do play a 5.1 video file, audio afterwards is severely limited. Could anyone else reproduce on their system what has happened to me? I have a 1st gen MBP CoreDuo hooked up to Logitech Z5500 digital speakers. Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help.

EDIT: Also when I tried to play a 5.1 file (Sky Crawlers 720p mkv) in QT w/ Perian, it does not output in digital audio from what I could see. I'd rather use MPlayer anyways.

Last edited by exs120; 2009-04-19 at 22:36.
Old 2009-04-20, 12:38   Link #210
sk3

And i suppose you're using OS X 10.5 Leopard also, right?

Could you post your Mplayer Extended log during the digital playback and after?

Maybe we can find something along those lines
Old 2009-04-20, 13:10   Link #211
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Yes, I am running Leopard. Alright,

Before w/ Sky Crawlers 720P DTS audio mkv:
Spoiler for "Mon Apr 20 13:57:50 lappie.res.utk.edu MPlayer OSX Extended[259:

After w/ Fullmetal Alchemist 720P Normal Audio mkv:
Spoiler for "Mon Apr 20 14:02:33 lappie.res.utk.edu MPlayer OSX Extended[259:

I don't know what can be seen from these logs, but sound does play in Mplayer after the Sky Crawlers file for FMA, but once again, I have lost sound in Safari (using YouTube video as test). This is quite puzzling, and if I don't play a file w/ digital audio, sound in Safari is fine until I do, and then I have to restart my computer to get audio back in Safari. It seems the audio problem is constrained to only a few programs, but this seems more and more like a system problem that is in someway triggered by MPlayer switching the computer's audio to digital.

Once again, thanks for the help.

EDIT: I found something interesting. After playing digital audio, I lose sound for YouTube video, but not QuickTime video in Safari (watching something on apple.com). Could this problem only target flash-based content?

Last edited by exs120; 2009-04-20 at 14:39.
Old 2009-04-20, 15:58   Link #212
sk3

I know this sound silly but, have you tried in firefox?

And after mplayer have you seen some strange logs on the console ? Try checking the all logs to check for kernel messages.

I suppose that even if the audio from Quicktime wasn't 5.1 digital as you said, you would hear it as 5.1 right?

EDIT: We might be seeing something related to OS X since it's overall system problem. You could also try VLC if it supports digital audio output just to check if the audio problem persists (even if video sucks )
Old 2009-04-20, 18:13   Link #213
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Ok now I feel silly...I updated Flash and now everything seems all right. You still have to switch the Mac back to normal 2-channel audio after playing a 5.1 file (by playing iTunes or opening a normal video file), but audio is back an working. Thank you for your help sk3.
Old 2009-04-20, 19:00   Link #214
sk3

Well i didn't do much but good to know that your problem is fixed.

Still, i would judge this by a OS bug of some kind. it would be good to know if someone else use digital output
Old 2009-04-28, 18:26   Link #215
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
I'd been using VLC for a while even after I switched to a Mac computer, but the way subtitles sometimes bunched up at the bottom of the screen finally got really annoying. Now I'm using this player and the subs work fine so far.

When I'm playing music and I have multiple tracks in a row, rather than play through them continuously, it'll stop playing after two or three songs. I have to manually move to the next track and let it play on until the program does it again. It's a small but annoying thing, and I don't know why the program does that. Any ideas why it's doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2009-04-28, 19:35   Link #216
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi-chan View Post
I'd been using VLC for a while even after I switched to a Mac computer, but the way subtitles sometimes bunched up at the bottom of the screen finally got really annoying. Now I'm using this player and the subs work fine so far.

When I'm playing music and I have multiple tracks in a row, rather than play through them continuously, it'll stop playing after two or three songs. I have to manually move to the next track and let it play on until the program does it again. It's a small but annoying thing, and I don't know why the program does that. Any ideas why it's doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Hm, i don't think much people here use mplayer OS X for music but still might be a bug to report.

I'll try to reproduce the problem when i get to my laptop
Old 2009-05-20, 19:43   Link #217
ichobi

Hey I have some questions.

Do I need to install ffmpeg binary to use this program to its full potential? What's the different between running the program fresh from downloaded vs runs it with codec binary installed?

Does it support multi core? I love to think that my macbook white 2.16ghz is pretty capable of running 1080p video but it never works. Always stutter!
Old 2009-05-20, 23:54   Link #218
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Hey I have some questions.

Do I need to install ffmpeg binary to use this program to its full potential? What's the different between running the program fresh from downloaded vs runs it with codec binary installed?

Does it support multi core? I love to think that my macbook white 2.16ghz is pretty capable of running 1080p video but it never works. Always stutter!
Hello there,

You don't need to install anything besides Mplayer OS X Extended. it already brings built-in codecs so you won't need to install anything separately.

Support for multi-core is there, through FFMpeg-MT but it's still experimental, but the version bundled with rev10 is awesomely stable, even if you experience errors, there's still the "older" FFMpeg bundled so, if you have issues with multi-core, you can fallback to the "no-multi-thread" version.

Any Core 2 Duo CPU should be capable of 1080p, i'm not sure about Core Duo's, but they should be about the same with multi-core rendering.

Try Mplayer OS X Extended rev10 and you won't regret
Old 2009-05-21, 08:31   Link #219
ichobi

Thanks for the reply I'm already running the Rev 10 for quite a long time and it's the best player on OS X no contest! I notice that it does multithreading too. If it passes the experimental status it probably will use less cpu which is awesome .

After some testing my machine seems to works fine for say 1080p from Thora's sub. But one problem I notice is the stuttering, which is not coming from the lack of machine horse power. It's the heat that cause the stutters.

The stuttering runs wildly when I do anything that push my cpu at 100% and the cpu tempt hit 80c. Then the sound will be swooshy, stutter, so does the video or any applications that's running. The machine lag out and hang but will come back when I quit that cpu intensive programs e.g. 1080p video or games.

When the temp goes down it works fine. I suspect that this is heat problem. I do however run macbook in a cool room (approx 15c ambient temp) with good airflow and the machine is off the ground with laptop "coolfeet" to efficiently dissipate heat. But it's not enough. Does anyone experience the same overheating problem? I don't understand why it stutters when the CPU is getting hot, the system doesn't shut down cpu core to reduce heat now does it? I know Macbook Air does that but this is Macbook white. I know it's a little off topic but this problem has been bugging me so much I wanna just sell this thing and get a Pro.
Old 2009-05-21, 09:58   Link #220
sk3

Well i can assure you, since i have a macbook pro, that these things run hot but not as much as yours. *EDIT: by the fact that i don't run the fans and default speed.

My advice is to download smc fan control 2, and configure the fans from your mac. mine's are set at 2000rpm during battery and 4000rpm during power cable, and that give's me about 30-45º temperature watching 720p for a long time and usually no more than 60º during 1080p playback. you can also create your own profiles and speed up the fans as you need. I found out that i cannot run my laptop without this program

Tags
wiki candidate