ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maqi View Post
Dysgraphia is it in you?

Slightly, I am ashamed to say...
Click the link and welcome to oz :P
but me on meds and I am like a hyper ozzy..altho I still can't spell for sht :P

Anyway either plan out a series and do it right or don't do it Viz cant even do naruto right and we have the voice talent to do it right so you know what I'll take fan subs because even if their are errors its better than the americanized crap they use to entrap idiots with!

*head explaodes*
0 - o

boom!
Old 2007-09-25, 22:39   Link #202
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
Can someone tell me what Viz is?
Old 2007-09-25, 22:50   Link #203
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Can someone tell me what Viz is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_Media

Ranma 1/2 is probably one of the best dubs ever done from voice work to music dubbing it is awesome, inuyasha aint half bad but it shows that the industry has lost interest in anime fans and it shows with its work on Naruto and other shows....watering down the content to get idiot US buyers to gobble it up who care nothing for translation or voice work they only care for tits and cussing.
Old 2007-09-25, 22:54   Link #204
MAQI
Varcolac cu trei capete

Location: Where the morale of the people is as black as the sea.
Thanks. I got it. I'll stick to reading manga and watching ep's on the net.
Old 2007-09-25, 23:16   Link #205
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Thanks. I got it. I'll stick to reading manga and watching ep's on the net.
they still "translate it" you should see what they did to naruto "doppelganger" instead of shadow clone *dies alil inside remembering it*
Old 2007-09-26, 00:06   Link #206
Jays

I don't know how any one could possibly defend this dub, the only good VA are Chad and Ichigo, and Ikkaku the rest are horrible.

The dialouge is soo off beat from what the original that it's sad to hear it.

They killed Renji giving him an evil sounding voice, the same guy who did Greed in FMA, but he fit Greed pretty well. They killed Urahara's voice as well, making him sound like a complete stoner.

You can't expect perfection, but you can make an honest attempt at it, and it's clear Viz didn't think of that.
Old 2007-09-26, 00:11   Link #207
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
I don't know how any one could possibly defend this dub, the only good VA are Chad and Ichigo, and Ikkaku the rest are horrible.

They killed Renji giving him an evil sounding voice, the same guy who did Greed in FMA, but he fit Greed pretty well. They killed Urahara's voice as well, making him sound like a complete stoner.

You can't expect perfection, but you can make an honest attempt at it, and it's clear Viz didn't think of that.
Saiyuki is worse constant non stop cussing....they wraped poor haaki to death he rarely cusses with full intent the dialog is so so but the malisuos cussing for cussing sake is fcked up >>

Naruto is so so once you get past the weak dub the dialog is...so so.... LOL
Old 2007-09-26, 10:24   Link #208
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
I was just wondering about peoples opinions of the DVDs before i decide to order the box set,
Go ahead and buy it. If you hate the dub that much just switch languages. DVDs can do that, as many here seem to have forgotten

Quote:
I'd say Hinamori's voice actor became the break out performance of the SS arc.

Quote:
How so? Release commands and first/last name I'll give you but not much else

Quote:
They killed Renji giving him an evil sounding voice, the same guy who did Greed in FMA, but he fit Greed pretty well.
No it's not. Wally Wingert voices Renji. Chris Patton voices Greed.

Quote:
They killed Urahara's voice as well, making him sound like a complete stoner.
People seem half and half about this. I'm with the camp that says it makes all the less supicious for the genious he is, once you get used to it

Quote:
If what the voice actors are posting at fan forums is any indication, they are doing their best. From the sounds of things, you simply never gave them a fair chance.

Quote:
Ranma 1/2 is probably one of the best dubs ever done from voice work to music dubbing it is awesome, inuyasha aint half bad but it shows that the industry has lost interest in anime fans and it shows with its work on Naruto and other shows
If the Ranma 1/2 of all things is seriously the best you've heard since then, I'd say you've either not been watching enough or have formed a complete bias against english voice actors. I'd rank Ranma's dub in the 30s as far as best dubs are concerned.

Quote:
watering down the content to get idiot US buyers to gobble it up who care nothing for translation or voice work they only care for tits and cussing
Funny, I find it's the fansub fans that are demanding more cussing, violence, and tits. Not the other way around.

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2007-09-26 at 10:43.
Old 2007-09-26, 14:33   Link #209
WONDERMIKE
kanpai!

Send a message via ICQ to WONDERMIKE
i really really really like the japanese language, and when it comes to english i prefer british english, so i'm biased from the start but the dub doesn't sound that bad to me,... it's way better than 99% of the german dubbed anime which i can see at my local tv naruto is the worst, they fitted it for kindergarten audience
Old 2007-09-26, 16:34   Link #210
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Royal_Devil;1166693]Go ahead and buy it. If you hate the dub that much just switch languages. DVDs can do that, as many here seem to have forgotten
Your still left begin over charged for the dub if you dont want it, you still get wonky subbing you still get non translated songs...ummm.... no thanks.

Quote:
I'd say Hinamori's voice actor became the break out performance of the SS arc.
Oh joy 1 decent voice out a 12 bad ones....

Quote:
If what the voice actors are posting at fan forums is any indication, they are doing their best. From the sounds of things, you simply never gave them a fair chance.
Its called acting, people get paid to troll the forums and do alil PR manurvering.

Altho I'll give the VA'ers credit for doing a hard job its a shame we still have a long way to go before it will be worth 20 a DVD for most shows.

Quote:
If the Ranma 1/2 of all things is seriously the best you've heard since then, I'd say you've either not been watching enough or have formed a complete bias against english voice actors. I'd rank Ranma's dub in the 30s as far as best dubs are concerned.
Right...the dialog is a near match, the accents and even vocals are nearly a prefect match ya sure its bad sure whatever I guess it must be far inferior to todays stuff since their so good *pukes*

Quote:
Funny, I find it's the fansub fans that are demanding more cussing, violence, and tits. Not the other way around.
right..... japanase have at best 2 levels of cussing while the US has 2 or 4 having f bombs every minute to look cool has quite the opposite effect, one has to do a bit more than translate the "dialog" to do it justice, just because a show is a bit gritty dose not mean they should be fckign the fcking F word every fcking minute :P.

You must be a dub fan if you love the crappy dubs so much, sure you can explain away it being bad but you still liek ti anyone like hollywood movie fans and its that "so it sucks i liked it and I will go see it 5 times" or "they have to trash it to make it sale" mentality that is destroying tact,class and overall quality in films and anime....

Keep on shelling out all that money for poo if it makes you happy, I prefer to spend my money on the stuff that really deserves it and not the raped limpy stuff they try and sale for top dollar.
Old 2007-09-26, 16:36   Link #211
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONDERMIKE View Post
i really really really like the japanese language, and when it comes to english i prefer british english, so i'm biased from the start but the dub doesn't sound that bad to me,... it's way better than 99% of the german dubbed anime which i can see at my local tv naruto is the worst, they fitted it for kindergarten audience
and thats how they sale dubs either to kids to buy the toys/crap or to teens who could care less if its done with any respect to the show.
Old 2007-09-26, 16:51   Link #212
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
How so? Release commands and first/last name I'll give you but not much else.
Really? So am I the only one who watched the Ichigo vs. Kenpachi fight?

I could have sworn the completely changed the dialogue.

They did change it.
Old 2007-09-26, 17:02   Link #213
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Really? So am I the only one who watched the Ichigo vs. Kenpachi fight?

I could have sworn the completely changed the dialogue.

They did change it.
Be more specific. Also, how do you know the version you watched was anymore correct unless you understand Japanese? I can usually tell by how many cuss words they insert into the subtitles.

Quote:
Oh joy 1 decent voice out a 12 bad ones....
The only ones I didn't like were Soi Fong's, Hitsugaya's, Kaien's, and Gin's. I simply called Hinamori one of the best.

Quote:
Its called acting, people get paid to troll the forums and do alil PR manurvering.

Altho I'll give the VA'ers credit for doing a hard job its a shame we still have a long way to go before it will be worth 20 a DVD for most shows.
They basically come on to ask what we thought of theirs and the other actors' performances, sometimes announce how we could meet them in person. It's mostly small talk. Hell, Liam (Gaara, Ukitake, and Sora) was giving dating advice in his thread. The only marketing I've seen from one of them was for the "Adventures in Voice Acting" DVD.

And we're there. Especially for Black Lagoon, Heat Guy J, FMP, Hellsing, GunXSword, and Desert Punk. Ironic how much praise these same actors get for their parts in some of those.

and Bleach DVDs are $16 where I shop

Quote:
Right...the dialog is a near match, the accents and even vocals are nearly a prefect match ya sure its bad sure whatever I guess it must be far inferior to todays stuff since their so good *pukes*
Which dub are you talking about anyway? The one with Richard Cox or the other one.

FLCL's more accurate as far as matching the Japanese version since the Japanese director helped in that. Hellsing handles local accents better with actual British actors. Desert Punk beats it at coming up with a superior script to the original. Ergo Proxy's dub is also in another league above Ranma's. Hell there's plenty of superior dubs out there. You either just haven't seen them or haven't watched the series.

Quote:
right..... japanase have at best 2 levels of cussing while the US has 2 or 4 having f bombs every minute to look cool has quite the opposite effect, one has to do a bit more than translate the "dialog" to do it justice, just because a show is a bit gritty dose not mean they should be fckign the fcking F word every fcking minute :P.
It's anime fans, people who watched it before it was ever dubbed, that demand the cussing they read in fansubs. This has been a constant. The first complaints to a dub announcment are less blood and less cussing. Of course, it's was baseless in Bleach's case. In fact, I can't think of one person who's never seen the Japanese version for any of these shows tell me they want more cuss words. You're actually the first dub hater I've come accross who wants less cussing in translations.

You'd be hard pressed to find cussing in any dub unless it's appropriate. Now please point out all the moments the Bleach dub added foul language. In fact, how about any dub? The Ghost Stories dub doesn't count as (A) the show already sucks and (B) they decided to dub it as a parody on purpose, which actually helped.

The most F-bombs I've heard in a serious, carefully done dub were in Black Lagoon and from Jan Valentine in Hellsing. And anyone who says they aren't appropriate there obviously doesn't want the translation to be accurate.

Quote:
You must be a dub fan if you love the crappy dubs so much, sure you can explain away it being bad but you still liek ti anyone like hollywood movie fans and its that "so it sucks i liked it and I will go see it 5 times" or "they have to trash it to make it sale" mentality that is destroying tact,class and overall quality in films and anime....
No I'm just unbiased. I can watch subs then switch to dubs and back no problem. I go with the Miyazaki mentality that all animation is dubbed and that a well-done one can add much to the experience. I barely understand a lick of Japanese so why should I care if it's poorly acted or well done? Like I can tell the difference. Can you?

There are plenty of crappy dubs out there that I wouldn't tolerate. But there's plenty of good ones. Bleach is in the "watch with little real problems" category.

Bleach is far from trashed. One Piece is an example of trashed. Bleach is as close to that as Pluto is to the Sun

Quote:
Keep on shelling out all that money for poo if it makes you happy, I prefer to spend my money on the stuff that really deserves it and not the raped limpy stuff they try and sale for top dollar.
BTW, I don't actually buy Bleach as I don't buy series longer than 30 episodes (Death Note will be the first exception) but I see no reason to stop someone else since if I don't like a dub, I just watch the Japanese version on the DVD. You're one of those who seem to want the dub to add value to the DVD, which is also rare among the fandom I come across.

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2007-09-26 at 23:04.
Old 2007-09-26, 19:15   Link #214
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
who care nothing for translation or voice work they only care for tits and cussing.
That sounds more like the people who bash dubs than the ones who actually watch them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
QFT... now go tell fansubbers this. They do it far more often...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Old 2007-09-26, 22:16   Link #215
Jays

Quote:
Be more specific. Also, how do you know the version you watched was anymore correct unless you understand Japanese? I can usually tell by how many cuss words they insert into the subtitles.
I'm not talking about cuss words, I'm talking about the content.

For example when Ichigo calls Kenpachi crazy after cutting him to ribbons, Kenpachi tells him that HE is crazy, how could he not enjoy fighting? That death and pain where only the cost of having fun. This is in the Japanese version.

In the English version, Kenpachi goes on to call Ichigo weak, and a pansy for being soo afraid of fighting.

Another example is when Ichigo says that he is fighting along side Zangestu, and Kenpachi gives one of his best lines, "Fighting with your zanpkato huh? That's a line only a sickly loser bitch uses, that ain't a line for you and me Ichigo!".

In the English he does the same as he did before, he taunts Ichigo, calling him a weakling, and they will never be alike, because Ichigo is such a pussy.

I wonder what they are going to do when they get far enough into the anime, and Kenpachi becomes Ichigo's instincts and starts saying "people like you and me Ichigo, we are destined to fight, because we love it".

The Kenpachi of the Jap version is one who eventually develops sort of a warriors bond with Ichigo, he views him as his equal, someone who is strong enough, who has the same desire, Kenpachi himself wants to get stronger so he can fight Ichigo, and repay him back. In essence that are like two guys who understand each other out on the combat field, even if Ichigo doesn't see this.

The Kenpachi of the English version is the complete opposite of that.

I'm pretty sure if I looked around I could find more examples.
Old 2008-07-17, 20:36   Link #216
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Okay I bumped this so that the pairing thread can stop being off topic.
Old 2008-07-17, 20:55   Link #217
yuuk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Okay I bumped this so that the pairing thread can stop being off topic.
lol, thanks for that, but I think everybody there's already logged off.
Old 2008-07-18, 00:12   Link #218
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
I'm not talking about cuss words, I'm talking about the content.

For example when Ichigo calls Kenpachi crazy after cutting him to ribbons, Kenpachi tells him that HE is crazy, how could he not enjoy fighting? That death and pain where only the cost of having fun. This is in the Japanese version.

In the English version, Kenpachi goes on to call Ichigo weak, and a pansy for being soo afraid of fighting.

Another example is when Ichigo says that he is fighting along side Zangestu, and Kenpachi gives one of his best lines, "Fighting with your zanpkato huh? That's a line only a sickly loser bitch uses, that ain't a line for you and me Ichigo!".

In the English he does the same as he did before, he taunts Ichigo, calling him a weakling, and they will never be alike, because Ichigo is such a pussy.

I wonder what they are going to do when they get far enough into the anime, and Kenpachi becomes Ichigo's instincts and starts saying "people like you and me Ichigo, we are destined to fight, because we love it".

The Kenpachi of the Jap version is one who eventually develops sort of a warriors bond with Ichigo, he views him as his equal, someone who is strong enough, who has the same desire, Kenpachi himself wants to get stronger so he can fight Ichigo, and repay him back. In essence that are like two guys who understand each other out on the combat field, even if Ichigo doesn't see this.

The Kenpachi of the English version is the complete opposite of that.

I'm pretty sure if I looked around I could find more examples.
question...is this what you saw on tv or a dvd? (no I'm not saying you have it, maybe you saw it from one of your friends)
Closed Thread