Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-10-20, 05:33   Link #201
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Modern day lynching is so efficient.

Also I think people are over thinking it. These stupid laws see the light of day all over the world because government officials feel they have to put a stamp on something daily and with everything sane covered it's only natural you get all this garbage now. Stick enough garbage into the filters and something has to pass eventually... heck the fact it's a popular political agenda these days just increases the chances.

Also why isn't something like this against constitutional rights? I'm sure there's something about it that stinks, even at that basic level.
Old 2011-10-20, 10:45   Link #202
Odd

I don't think a bill as broad as this could ever be passed in the UK, it would ruin the entertainment industry over here and cripple more than a few companies.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-20, 11:29   Link #203
Puddingman

Quote:
These stupid laws see the light of day all over the world because government officials feel they have to put a stamp on something daily and with everything sane covered it's only natural you get all this garbage now.
Hey that's a good point. Piracy is illegal but how many torrent and megaupload sites are out there? And how many people using them? In a lot of ways I've found the "real world" to be like highschool; raise your hand before speaking, don't go to the bathroom during class, but how many times to teachers make exceptions, or times where you plain just don't get caught because it isn't a big deal?
Old 2011-10-20, 14:03   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
I don't think a bill as broad as this could ever be passed in the UK, it would ruin the entertainment industry over here and cripple more than a few companies.
Terrible laws like this aren't really meant to be enforced universally... they're only used selectively on targets "we don't like". It makes everyone guilty (like the criminalization of Fair Use principles) but they target those unable to fight back effectively (or those who aren't proper 'contributors' like, say, members of the MPAA).
Old 2011-10-21, 01:25   Link #205
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Piracy... WTF?!? Let me remind you a basic fact that everyone conveniently ignores... all these anime and TV torrents are for shows broadcasted for free in a country, and by law we are occasionally forced to pay for them... yet not the creators, but some managers, advertisers, etc. who also decide what we should watch... now tell me if this makes any sense, outside that people without any productive must get money.

Copyright, patents, and the like do not protect the creators, but those with the money to buy them.

This bill, from the little I heard and read, just wants to put vague distinctions so that any interest group with a capital can manipulate it at its whim.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:15   Link #206
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Piracy... WTF?!? Let me remind you a basic fact that everyone conveniently ignores... all these anime and TV torrents are for shows broadcasted for free in a country, and by law we are occasionally forced to pay for them... yet not the creators, but some managers, advertisers, etc. who also decide what we should watch... now tell me if this makes any sense, outside that people without any productive must get money.

Copyright, patents, and the like do not protect the creators, but those with the money to buy them.

This bill, from the little I heard and read, just wants to put vague distinctions so that any interest group with a capital can manipulate it at its whim.
Uh... They're broadcasted for free so their viewers will look at the advertisement for products sold at their local stores. We're not doing any of that, are we? And while we may argue till the cows come home about the relationship between "creators" and "advertisers" and everyone in between, the fact is that if there was no money in it, the most anime we'd get would be a few flash animations done by a handful of dedicated hobbyists.

That's not to say I support any and all anti-piracy law. But let's have a bit of perspective - by and large, pirates aren't on the side of the angels either.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 11:48   Link #207
Puddingman

Yeaa, I didn't really mean to get deep into that. My main point was that even though there are things that're illegal people do them anyways and get away with it. So supporting what Vexx and Odd said, if anime becomes illegal in UK it probably won't affect the common person.
Old 2011-10-23, 17:57   Link #208
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Uh... They're broadcasted for free so their viewers will look at the advertisement for products sold at their local stores.
No, the majority late night anime do not generate revenue from the TV broadcast, it is used to promoted the DVD/BD sales, manga and novels, and occasionally merchandise. The money the companies right-holders make by licensing them to the rest of the world is insignificant, compared to the domestic.

Quote:
We're not doing any of that, are we? And while we may argue till the cows come home about the relationship between "creators" and "advertisers" and everyone in between, the fact is that if there was no money in it, the most anime we'd get would be a few flash animations done by a handful of dedicated hobbyists.
And that's how you get rough, yet innovative shows, music, films, paintings, photographs, applications, operating systems, games, novels, etc, not by mass production.

Quote:
That's not to say I support any and all anti-piracy law. But let's have a bit of perspective - by and large, pirates aren't on the side of the angels either.
I do not disagree, as long as:
  • You don't throw all pirates in the same bag
  • As well as recognize that most companies that license products, do absolutely nothing else, but than leech creators and consumers.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 18:32   Link #209
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
No, the majority late night anime do not generate revenue from the TV broadcast, it is used to promoted the DVD/BD sales, manga and novels, and occasionally merchandise. The money the companies right-holders make by licensing them to the rest of the world is insignificant, compared to the domestic.
Source?

Quote:
And that's how you get rough, yet innovative shows, music, films, paintings, photographs, applications, operating systems, games, novels, etc, not by mass production.
Sometimes. But both big-budget productions and independent ones can be either great or terrible. Yes, there is a lot of schlock produced for mass-market consumption, but there are also certain things that exist only because there was money in it, whether great or small. To suggest that creativity would flourish more in a world where nobody could make a living doing it is laughable in the extreme.
Old 2011-10-24, 01:44   Link #210
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Even if true, same difference. Those free broadcast aren't intended for us.

Quote:
But mass production is how we get more than an hour's worth of entertainment per year. Big budget (it doesn't even have to be big for a professional - it's still going to be huge compared to a hobbyist's) is how we get the shiny stuff we like so much.

Heck, it's also how you create new hobbyists.

Quote:
I do not disagree, as long as:
  • You don't throw all pirates in the same bag
  • As well as recognize that most companies that license products, do absolutely nothing else, but than leech creators and consumers.
Leech? They give money to right holders (who finance the creators, if they aren't the creators themselves) - that's the principle of licensing. And they give products to consumers in exchange for the money they get from them. That's the principle of commerce.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 07:37   Link #211
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Source?

Sometimes. But both big-budget productions and independent ones can be either great or terrible. Yes, there is a lot of schlock produced for mass-market consumption, but there are also certain things that exist only because there was money in it, whether great or small. To suggest that creativity would flourish more in a world where nobody could make a living doing it is laughable in the extreme.
Anime studios pay to get their stuff aired...

I suggest that creativity would flourish more when there aren't middlemen leeching. How much of the 99c for a song goes to people making it rather than the middlemen leeching from it?

Quote:
Leech? They give money to right holders (who finance the creators, if they aren't the creators themselves) - that's the principle of licensing. And they give products to consumers in exchange for the money they get from them. That's the principle of commerce.
Then they take a very large portion of the money off the top before giving it to the creators. That's leeching. There was once a time when they were needed to help the creators, but now, they aren't needed and their useless leeches struggling to maintain a 20th century business model in a 21st century world. Cutting the middleman is good for everyone.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:40   Link #212
subwaygyal

the uk is getting shittier by the day
subwaygyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
united kingdom