AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-09-18, 12:21   Link #2021
IceHism

Maybe its the data fortification or the barriers that magicians can create?
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 12:23   Link #2022
Rava

Unless he uses something similar to Deceleration Zone.
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 12:52   Link #2023
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
The rocks were not blocked, Ichijou used Move-Type Magic individually on them to send them back. Something that can't be done on super small bullets at a large number.
More like, send them away.

I'm not sure why he can't, should size really matter? It's called 'armor' because it surrounds him, and he was practically playing around in the 9SC, while the bullets are faster than the rocks, he might still be able to handle it.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 12:56   Link #2024
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post

I'm not sure why he can't, should size really matter? It's called 'armor' because it surrounds him, and he was practically playing around in the 9SC, while the bullets are faster than the rocks, he might still be able to handle it.
Interference Armor is meant to stop spells not solid objects from what I understand.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 13:25   Link #2025
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism
Maybe its the data fortification or the barriers that magicians can create?
A magician's natural data fortification prevents spells to be casted upon him that's it, not physical objects from affecting him. As for magic barriers, not all of them are meant to block physical objects and unless you have a very high affinity in that area like Katsuto then you can't cast one power enough to block them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky

Armor of Interference doesn't work on physical objects. What he did in the 9SC was possible because only a few large rocks were thrown at him, so casting move-type magic to change their direction and aiming at them was easy, but trying to aim at countless small bullets coming at you at high speed, good luck casting move type magic on them individually to stop them, that is if your affinity with move type is even high enough to force such a force into a different direction.
Old 2014-09-18, 13:29   Link #2026
Echizen777

It's a simple barrier magic, while there are magicians specialized in fighting with barriers like Juumonji and Sakura series, barriers can be casted by normal magicians as well, Miyuki made one in volume 13,Mayumi in volume 4 etc. This looks different so I doubt its Interference Armor but Interference Armor also reflects vectors. It's similar to Katsuto's Reflector, which is not Phalanx. Tatsuya said himself that it was supposed to be Juumonji's clan specialty.

Quote:
However, Masaki easily nullified their full frontal combined assault.
The scattered fragments were flung away by a sphere of reverse
vectors centered around Masaki, while the electric discharge was
suppressed before it even started.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 14:04   Link #2027
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Interference Armor is meant to stop spells not solid objects from what I understand.
I think it's more like an AoE magic around the user that interfering objects which infused with Move-Type magic by a stronger Move-Type magic. Not really sure though. But if he can't stop solid objects, how was the rocks in the anime stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
Armor of Interference doesn't work on physical objects. What he did in the 9SC was possible because only a few large rocks were thrown at him, so casting move-type magic to change their direction and aiming at them was easy, but trying to aim at countless small bullets coming at you at high speed, good luck casting move type magic on them individually to stop them, that is if your affinity with move type is even high enough to force such a force into a different direction.
Why does he has to aim the bullets individually? The magic is surrounding him, it's AoE magic, he just need to target his surrounding and it's done.
Old 2014-09-19, 15:12   Link #2028
Pegasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I was anticipating the anime conversion with bated breath, which may have been part of the problem. However, I soon felt deeply disappointed about the conversion.

1) Primarily, the direction is heavy-handed and uninspired. Points which are blatantly obvious in the LN in the first place (Tatsuya's skills with the resulting worship) get overemphasized to a level which is borderline ridiculous.

2) To "pay" for the time wasted on that, critical key characters like Miyuki and Mayumi are literally getting butchered. Their important backstories are cut, and their personalities twisted. Miyuki is degenerated into a petty "oniisama" worship puppet to a degree that most neutral viewers are feeling annoyed by her (even me, who is a diehard Miyuki fan especially after LN 8, couldn't help but rolling my eyes 80% of the time she appeared on screen). Mayumi was turned from a capricious lighthearted teasy-flirty minx into a slow, methodical-plodding oneesama (compare her lively eyes and facial expressions from LN and manga to her dead/tired look from the anime).

3) Even though lots of important parts are cut, the storytelling feels sluggish and wordy. Facial expressions of characters are wooden and unchanging, and the (sparse) humor from the LN is often killed by poor execution.

Brutally put, if I had to describe my impression of the anime: Uninspired "going-through-the-motions" work of a n00b with only a limited grasp of the original material, and with next-to-no knowledge of the _appeal_ of the story.

I really love the LNs, but I find the travesty of the anime hard to forgive. Sorry

Pretty much how I feel although...I thought they did a pretty accurate job with Miyuki lol - how she acts in the anime is well in line with how she acts in the LN. It's just that with her backstory, how she acts becomes a bit more understanding to the audience.

Completely agreed with Mayumi...I'm not a Tatsuya x Mayumi fan by any means, but I still felt that Tatsuya's and Mayumi's relationships was one of the most interesting ones in the entire story. In the LN, I felt that underneath the teasing and bantering, there was a subtle war between them with Mayumi constantly trying to figure out more about Tatsuya and Tatsuya trying to push attention away from himself. None of this was shown in the anime.

Aside from Mayumi, I think the character they butchered the most was Ono Haruka. I don't know why this annoyed me so much since she's not a major character, but I felt that she went from a public safety officer using common but ineffective tricks on Tatsuya to a complete airhead. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I know how you feel.

However, the biggest offender, IMO, is how they distribute the screentime. I actually don't mind the content cutting, but it infuriates me when they omit some important details, yet overly illustrate other meaningless scenes.

For example, most of the brocon-blushing Miyuki scenes have been over the top and unnecessary, even in the latest episode, they just "HAD to" make her blush when she undo seal, those few seconds could have been dedicated to some lines like: "although this may go against Oba-sama's order, I will do it, for Onii-sama". See, here with this we can have a bit more insight about their situation, and even show Miyuki's love for her Onii-sama, no compromise here.

Also in this ep, when Azusa uses her magic, do we need those fancy visual? Why not use those seconds to explain what she's trying to do?

Danmit, I shouldn't dwell on this matter for too long, or I'm gonna explode
Although there were some crucial parts that were cut out, like how Mikihiki started using a modern CAD with Tatsuya-adjusted activation sequences (a crucial part of how Mikihiko started regaining his confidence/power), overall, I don't think the distribution was that much of a problem.

They simply failed to explain the scenes. Like with Azusayumi...the visuals weren't the problem in the least had they added a narration (either via Mayumi or Azusa) to explain how it works or the consequences of such magic while the visuals were going on.

With the bullets, none of the people watching the anime know what Tatsuya did. Yes, the anime mentioned Decomposition once before in the 9SC, but it would have been nice if they showed Tatsuya's monologue about how he tried to disguise his magic by making a show of catching the bullets and "chopping" people.
Pegasai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 07:15   Link #2029
Echizen777

Episode 25 pictures

It will end with Tatsuya using Regrowth on the boyfriends.
Old 2014-09-20, 07:19   Link #2030
BalorView

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasai View Post

Completely agreed with Mayumi...I'm not a Tatsuya x Mayumi fan by any means, but I still felt that Tatsuya's and Mayumi's relationships was one of the most interesting ones in the entire story

Of course
BalorView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 07:21   Link #2031
kusabireika
Seiso Academy Student
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to kusabireika
Ice Queen Miyuki and Azusa
Old 2014-09-20, 11:26   Link #2032
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Episode 25 pictures

It will end with Tatsuya using Regrowth on the boyfriends.
It did. While Rupture did look awesome, Cocytus was very disappointing

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 11:50   Link #2033
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
It did. While Rupture did look awesome, Cocytus was very disappointing
Yeah, Cocytus looks disappointing, and it was supposed to be an epic moment. I's like a regular ice technique without the other's reactions.
Old 2014-09-20, 11:54   Link #2034
Valky
Radioactive

Well, it targets the soul after all .. Rupture is more flashy by the novel explanation too ..
Old 2014-09-20, 11:56   Link #2035
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Well, it targets the soul after all .. Rupture is more flashy by the novel explanation too ..
I know, I was prepared to this, but what made this scene powerful for me was the reaction of the others after this.
Old 2014-09-20, 12:11   Link #2036
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
I know, I was prepared to this, but what made this scene powerful for me was the reaction of the others after this.
I really thought it would be important enough for them to show. Without those reactions, how are people supposed to know what's "normal" and what isn't in Mahoukaverse?

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 12:11   Link #2037
SoulEat3r

They really rush to the point that it killed alot of character development/trait.
Most flashy attack is probably Rupture; Leo UsabaKagerou is just a white flash then moment we know everything is cut in half same as Erika Yamatsunami except with a big yellow flash; I dont even understand whats the difference with Nifielheim and Cocytus either way both are frozen to death. Phonon Maser=Laser.

Does Erika use personal accelleration magic when using Yamatsunami cuz they didnt show it in the anime and how does that thing pertains to a 10 ton gillutine? "Lost Zero" portrayed it more better than this.
They didnt show Suzune's magic I was looking forward to that.

EDIT: I almost forgot Yanagi's Thousand Tatami; it would be cool seeing some trash flip like tables.

Spoiler for Oh yeah....That rocks:

Last edited by SoulEat3r; 2014-09-20 at 12:38.
SoulEat3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 12:28   Link #2038
rladls2121

Junmonji sounded the same as the way I imagined in the novel, when he told his comrades to not to be defensive and strike against those "invaders".

Invaders he says, invaders.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 13:54   Link #2039
IceHism

My imagination beats the visual, sound,and tension aspects of this show by a long mile. I felt like the action scenes were too fast without any reactions or dialogue to really sink in what they are doing. Also, the amount of things they cut...
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-20, 14:28   Link #2040
Baffo

Agreed, they cut a lot of the reactions that gave gravitas to the events in the LN.
Personally I was very disappointed by:
- How they portrayed the Polyhedrion handle in the collapse of the tunnel and the subsequent Tomitsuka's rescue of Chiaki (basically threw that character development/relationship out the window).
- How Leo's secret sword tecnique just looks like a transparent broadsword; it should be more like an ultra thin 10m Berserk inspired blade...
- They totally skipped the 'guerrillas assault when the choppers arrived' and the reveal of Ichihara speciality/background.
- How Regrowth on 'the boyfriends' was basically censored by not even showing what was going on and the lackluster reactions it received by the ones witnessing it...

I am hoping that at least they'll go all out with Tatsuya's fights in the last episode, but seeing how halfheartedly this episode was executed, I can't say I'm all that optimistic...
Baffo is offline   Reply With Quote