AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-09-14, 16:03   Link #2001
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
No, they all saw it. Mayumi is the only one that had any thoughts about the scene later on though, in her side story.
What scene is that one?
Old 2014-09-14, 16:18   Link #2002
Clutchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
The same here. But, I do not know why, but Madhouse is shining Miyuki x Tatsuya more than any other thing......
Well, judging from the light novel character popularity polls, none of the other female characters in Mahouka are really that popular (Miyuki was 9th overall, and no other female character in the top 30) so it might be as simple as that --> Merchandising.
While cutting all of the relevant character interaction between other characters is annoying, what really irks me is how they've "cutesified" all of the Tatsuya/Miyuki interactions, making large parts of the anime a bit of a drag to watch through.

I really wonder if Ono Manabu was the right director choice for Mahouka, he hasn't done anything really worth mentioning (for me at least). What do you guys think?
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 17:14   Link #2003
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchdog View Post

I really wonder if Ono Manabu was the right director choice for Mahouka, he hasn't done anything really worth mentioning (for me at least). What do you guys think?
I thought he did an okay-but-still-terrible adaption for horizon which is probably 100x harder to adapt properly than Mahouka so i thought there was some potential that the anime could have been good.

Though it might not even be a problem of his. There's just something about the anime lacking inspiration in not just its directing.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 17:56   Link #2004
Clutchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I thought he did an okay-but-still-terrible adaption for horizon which is probably 100x harder to adapt properly than Mahouka so i thought there was some potential that the anime could have been good.

Though it might not even be a problem of his. There's just something about the anime lacking inspiration in not just its directing.
Yeah a lack of inspiration is a proper way to put it. I mean Mahouka isn't the easiest novel to adapt, but the end result feels like no effort was put into figuring out the optimal way to do it. We're rushing through the story while omitting most of the character building interaction that makes it feel like entering into random events due to no background knowledge for the common viewer. And because the action isn't well done, there literally isn't anything in the anime that makes it easy to like (if you haven't read the novels/manga). I almost think the anime should have been separated in the same way the manga series are and have a bit more thought put into the adaptation, right now it just feels like we have a lackluster anime due to lack of forethought and talent.
Clutchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 18:07   Link #2005
Mentar
Banned

I was anticipating the anime conversion with bated breath, which may have been part of the problem. However, I soon felt deeply disappointed about the conversion.

1) Primarily, the direction is heavy-handed and uninspired. Points which are blatantly obvious in the LN in the first place (Tatsuya's skills with the resulting worship) get overemphasized to a level which is borderline ridiculous.

2) To "pay" for the time wasted on that, critical key characters like Miyuki and Mayumi are literally getting butchered. Their important backstories are cut, and their personalities twisted. Miyuki is degenerated into a petty "oniisama" worship puppet to a degree that most neutral viewers are feeling annoyed by her (even me, who is a diehard Miyuki fan especially after LN 8, couldn't help but rolling my eyes 80% of the time she appeared on screen). Mayumi was turned from a capricious lighthearted teasy-flirty minx into a slow, methodical-plodding oneesama (compare her lively eyes and facial expressions from LN and manga to her dead/tired look from the anime).

3) Even though lots of important parts are cut, the storytelling feels sluggish and wordy. Facial expressions of characters are wooden and unchanging, and the (sparse) humor from the LN is often killed by poor execution.

Brutally put, if I had to describe my impression of the anime: Uninspired "going-through-the-motions" work of a n00b with only a limited grasp of the original material, and with next-to-no knowledge of the _appeal_ of the story.

I really love the LNs, but I find the travesty of the anime hard to forgive. Sorry
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 22:37   Link #2006
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
It is 10,312 (BD + DVD). The sales estimation was ranging from 3,000 to 30,000.
Of course, people who predicted 3,000 unit sales, were anti-fans. And, hard core fans estimated 30,000 units. But, the reality was around 10,312.

Kadokawa was pushing Mahouka to be another success similar to SAO.
So, the current sales record may be disappointing the Kadokawa.
But, if they wanted to boost sales, they should put a lot of extra fan services
I was expecting around 15-20k, I guess. Well, it can't be helped with the way the animation goes, many would be disappointed.

Hmm, maybe that's one of the reason? Kadokawa trying to make Mahouka comparable to SAO, which is a mistake, since SAO is more geared toward Shounen-type .. with a lot of actions and not that difficult story, kinda straightforward. Mahouka on the other hand is more complex.

Extra fan service .. Summer Break comes to mind.

Quote:
I only know his works with Saki series. He did pretty good with Saki series, pretty faithful. Then again, Saki was airing at the same time as the manga, so he might not have time to make "adjustment", while he did have time with Mahouka.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-14, 22:38   Link #2007
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I was anticipating the anime conversion with bated breath, which may have been part of the problem. However, I soon felt deeply disappointed about the conversion.

1) Primarily, the direction is heavy-handed and uninspired. Points which are blatantly obvious in the LN in the first place (Tatsuya's skills with the resulting worship) get overemphasized to a level which is borderline ridiculous.

2) To "pay" for the time wasted on that, critical key characters like Miyuki and Mayumi are literally getting butchered. Their important backstories are cut, and their personalities twisted. Miyuki is degenerated into a petty "oniisama" worship puppet to a degree that most neutral viewers are feeling annoyed by her (even me, who is a diehard Miyuki fan especially after LN 8, couldn't help but rolling my eyes 80% of the time she appeared on screen). Mayumi was turned from a capricious lighthearted teasy-flirty minx into a slow, methodical-plodding oneesama (compare her lively eyes and facial expressions from LN and manga to her dead/tired look from the anime).

3) Even though lots of important parts are cut, the storytelling feels sluggish and wordy. Facial expressions of characters are wooden and unchanging, and the (sparse) humor from the LN is often killed by poor execution.

Brutally put, if I had to describe my impression of the anime: Uninspired "going-through-the-motions" work of a n00b with only a limited grasp of the original material, and with next-to-no knowledge of the _appeal_ of the story.

I really love the LNs, but I find the travesty of the anime hard to forgive. Sorry

I know how you feel.

However, the biggest offender, IMO, is how they distribute the screentime. I actually don't mind the content cutting, but it infuriates me when they omit some important details, yet overly illustrate other meaningless scenes.

For example, most of the brocon-blushing Miyuki scenes have been over the top and unnecessary, even in the latest episode, they just "HAD to" make her blush when she undo seal, those few seconds could have been dedicated to some lines like: "although this may go against Oba-sama's order, I will do it, for Onii-sama". See, here with this we can have a bit more insight about their situation, and even show Miyuki's love for her Onii-sama, no compromise here.

Also in this ep, when Azusa uses her magic, do we need those fancy visual? Why not use those seconds to explain what she's trying to do?

Danmit, I shouldn't dwell on this matter for too long, or I'm gonna explode
Old 2014-09-15, 20:41   Link #2008
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post

I only know his works with Saki series. He did pretty good with Saki series, pretty faithful. Then again, Saki was airing at the same time as the manga, so he might not have time to make "adjustment", while he did have time with Mahouka.
Manga can't really be comparable to LN's.With manga you already have the basis for the storyboard and is more visual in storytelling while LN's are more wordy and is longer in explaining details and most of the time has internal monologues than spoken dialogue to convey characterization and character development.
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-15, 22:04   Link #2009
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
This is the relevant part that was translated. As you can see...not exactly the same dialogue.
The LN is mistranslated, that or the Chinese version is mistranslated. It's the "current head", not "heir" (page 130).

Quote:
Well, judging from the light novel character popularity polls, none of the other female characters in Mahouka are really that popular (Miyuki was 9th overall, and no other female character in the top 30) so it might be as simple as that --> Merchandising.
While cutting all of the relevant character interaction between other characters is annoying, what really irks me is how they've "cutesified" all of the Tatsuya/Miyuki interactions, making large parts of the anime a bit of a drag to watch through.

Ono Manabu did Kyousen, another setting-heavy story. I honestly think few will have the guts to handle Mahouka. Can anyone honestly say they (or someone else) can do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post

Kyousen and Mahouka can't be measured in the same way. Mahouka is a lot more micro at the nuts and bolts level while Kyousen is more macro at worldview level.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 10:55   Link #2010
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
The LN is mistranslated, that or the Chinese version is mistranslated. It's the "current head", not "heir" (page 130).
Awesome! Thanks larethian!
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 18:00   Link #2011
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
So, the hidden situation Katsuto mentioned is the fact that he is the "current head" but disguised as the "heir" at the moment? Hmm, Interesting.
Old 2014-09-17, 02:49   Link #2012
pampz21
ShipCore

Wow I just realized this....
"Azusayumi" is literraly Azusa and a bow.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 16:24   Link #2013
AceTrigger

Light Novels and Anime/Manga related books:
*1. 127,221 127,599 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.14

AceTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 07:29   Link #2014
millie10468

Next Episode preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxWrkDFbv0

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-18, 09:07   Link #2015
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Whoa, thanks.

I'm having a mixed feelings about it, excited yet sad at the same time ..
Old 2014-09-18, 10:26   Link #2016
Jirachier

I don't understand, when did Ichijou get a barrier to block bullets and physical objects...
Old 2014-09-18, 10:53   Link #2017
Ultragunner

that's the same thing he used in the 9SC (ep 15 of the anime), the "Armor of Interference"
Old 2014-09-18, 10:54   Link #2018
Jirachier

but shouldn't the armor of interference only block magical attacks ?
Old 2014-09-18, 11:04   Link #2019
Valky
Radioactive

Rocks were blocked too in the 9SC.
Old 2014-09-18, 11:05   Link #2020
Jirachier

The rocks were not blocked, Ichijou used Move-Type Magic individually on them to send them back. Something that can't be done on super small bullets at a large number.