AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-08-11, 21:31   Link #2001
B214

Actually Blade Dance did quite well and much better than School Days.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-11, 21:36   Link #2002
Chichiryuushintei

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Actually Blade Dance did quite well and much better than School Days.
IIRC it sold like, 2 or 3k per BD volume. That's definitely not a success. It probably paid for itself, but didn't give much profit. Depending if it boosted the LN sales it could be different though, since increasing the source material's sales is more important for the company putting money into it. Like Noragami, sold about 3k per BD but the manga's sales multiplied by 5.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-11, 23:42   Link #2003
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichiryuushintei View Post
IIRC it sold like, 2 or 3k per BD volume. That's definitely not a success. It probably paid for itself, but didn't give much profit. Depending if it boosted the LN sales it could be different though, since increasing the source material's sales is more important for the company putting money into it. Like Noragami, sold about 3k per BD but the manga's sales multiplied by 5.
The budget used on Blade Dance isn't even half of the budget used on 1 season of DxD, so it's actually making profit for TNK.
Old 2015-08-12, 02:30   Link #2004
MV5

Quote:
The budget used on Blade Dance isn't even half of the budget used on 1 season of DxD, so it's actually making profit for TNK.
Not really. 3-4k is usually the break even point. Then I saw the sales for all the Blade Dance volumes where they all were shy of breaking 2k. Then you gotta remember they did Kenzen Robo which also had sales similar to Blade Dance.
MV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 04:43   Link #2005
B214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV5 View Post
Not really. 3-4k is usually the break even point. Then I saw the sales for all the Blade Dance volumes where they all were shy of breaking 2k. Then you gotta remember they did Kenzen Robo which also had sales similar to Blade Dance.
Like i said the cost used is very little. Blade Dance is a low cost project, it didn't even worth half of the cost use to produce 1 season of DxD, so even if the sales is low, TNK still profited there. On the other hand, with each season ongoing, the cost for DxD increases but if the sales doesn't at least cover up the cost, then it'd be viewed as a failed project. Of course i don't think they'll abandon DxD, but TNK clearly needs a few good strong anime. You can see the quality drop in Season 3.
Old 2015-08-12, 10:30   Link #2006
DragonOsman
Dragon King

So the quality dropped because they weren't making enough a profit with DxD to be able to have a strong budget?
Old 2015-08-12, 21:16   Link #2007
MV5

Quote:
Like i said the cost used is very little. Blade Dance is a low cost project, it didn't even worth half of the cost use to produce 1 season of DxD, so even if the sales is low, TNK still profited there.
Got any numbers to back up that claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
So the quality dropped because they weren't making enough a profit with DxD to be able to have a strong budget?
Compare DxD to New. Hardly any noticeable quality moments. Now compare New to BorN, and you see a vast dip in quality. TNK produced two shows prior to BorN, Blade Dance and Kenzen Robo, both which were duds. Usually when a studio does more than one show a year, you see the effects it has on the anime. If I recall, Silver Link is doing three shows in Fall season 2015. Imagine how bad that could get.
Old 2015-08-12, 21:37   Link #2008
B214

Quote:

Compare DxD to New. Hardly any noticeable quality moments. Now compare New to BorN, and you see a vast dip in quality. TNK produced two shows prior to BorN, Blade Dance and Kenzen Robo, both which were duds. Usually when a studio does more than one show a year, you see the effects it has on the anime. If I recall, Silver Link is doing three shows in Fall season 2015. Imagine how bad that could get.
I got that from their annual report, just go to Japan become their shareholder like my sister-in-law's brother and you'll get your numbers. Also just so people know the average cost for DxD BorN was around 1.5 million yen. Blade Dance and Daimidaler combined was only about 1.3 million yen.
Old 2015-08-12, 22:04   Link #2009
MV5

Quote:
Also just so people know the average cost for DxD BorN was around 1.5 million yen. Blade Dance and Daimidaler combined was only about 1.3 million yen.
Was that the same amount for the first and second season of DxD or was it higher?
Old 2015-08-12, 22:11   Link #2010
B214

Quote:
Was that the same amount for the first and second season of DxD or was it higher?
New > BorN > Season 1.

New was higher than both S1 and BorN. Season 1's average cost was around 1.14 million yen. Forgot what was exact amount for New's average cost but it's higher than BorN.
Old 2015-08-12, 22:14   Link #2011
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:

To be honest, I dont see any difference in the three adaptions so far. Quality and weirdly done nipples for 36 chapters. I even felt that Blade Dance was better in terms of animation for some parts.
Old 2015-08-12, 22:56   Link #2012
jopjopjop

Three newest members of the Vali Team.

From the short story titled "Go West!"; included in the September 2015 issue of Dragon Magazine

Sa Gojou (Sha Wujing)
  • descendant and succeeded the name of Sa Gojou.
  • Has the appearance of a girl in junior high and has fluffy, vermilion hair.
  • Apparently, she's an active junior high student.?
  • Is easily angered when she is referred to as a kappa.
  • At the end of the mission given to them by Xuanzang, she became an ''associate'' member of the Vali Team and was tasked to take care of Bikou.

Cho Hakkai (Zhu Bajie)
  • descendent and succeeded the name of Cho Hakkai.
  • Has the body of a human but the head of a pig.
  • He is a super M and takes great joy from being called a pig/swine by beautiful women.
  • At the end of the mission given to them by Xuanzang, he became an ''associate'' member of the Vali Team and was tasked to take care of Bikou.

Char Siu
  • A pig brought by Cho Hakkai that was prepared as a substitute.
  • Kept by the Vali Team in the end.

Others:
Just like the First Gen Sun Wukong, the first gen Sa Gojou and Cho Hakkai are complete monsters.
Old 2015-08-13, 01:52   Link #2013
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopjopjop View Post

From the short story titled "Go West!"; included in the September 2015 issue of Dragon Magazine

Sa Gojou (Sha Wujing)
  • At the end of the mission given to them by Xuanzang, she became an ''associate'' member of the Vali Team and was tasked to take care of Bikou.

Cho Hakkai (Zhu Bajie)
  • He is a super M and takes great joy from being called a pig/swine by beautiful women.
  • At the end of the mission given to them by Xuanzang, he became an ''associate'' member of the Vali Team and was tasked to take care of Bikou.

Char Siu

Others:
Just like the First Gen Sun Wukong, the first gen Sa Gojou and Cho Hakkai are complete monsters.
"Complete monsters" as in extremely strong? IIRC, in Journey to the West, those two are not very comparable to Sun Wukong, and pretty much only the Monkey King does all the badass beating
Old 2015-08-13, 02:02   Link #2014
B214

Fun fact, the pig brought by Zhu Bajie is named roasted pork.

For more details see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_siu

Hopefully the pig survives the fate given to his fallen brethren.
Old 2015-08-13, 02:40   Link #2015
MV5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
To be honest, I dont see any difference in the three adaptions so far.
For real? BorN had so many more quality moments then it did in the previous seasons in my perspective. Episode 3, 4, 6, 7 and 11 come to mind. Don't recall much from season 1 and 2. May have to re-watch them again.
Old 2015-08-13, 18:49   Link #2016
Always86

I am waiting for the Blus but, in my opinion, the TV air had worse animation and more artistic quality issues than DxD and New combined. I. Hopefully some of my issues will be corrected in the Blus.
Always86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 08:25   Link #2017
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopjopjop View Post

Sa Gojou (Sha Wujing)

Cho Hakkai (Zhu Bajie)

Char Siu

Others:
Where is Sanzou?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 09:44   Link #2018
jopjopjop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Where is Sanzou?
Genjou Sanzou (Xuanzang Sanzang). Volume 15 Wolf's Emblem
Old 2015-08-14, 10:57   Link #2019
amtro
Distro

Was that DX shortstory, Abduction Ero summarized? I don't see it posted anywhere.
Old 2015-08-14, 11:17   Link #2020
jopjopjop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
Was that DX shortstory, Abduction Ero summarized? I don't see it posted anywhere.
Nope. Abduction ERO has Chinese translations and so, zxzxzx has expressed interest in translating that.