AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2019-07-27, 08:59   Link #181
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
...but the studio would have to adopt a much more traditional production model than they've used so far.

I agree, creatively I don't consider this a positive for the most part. Working in a more traditional manner with an infusion of "outsider" sensibility would be good for them artistically I think. But is that something Hatta is going to want to do at this point?
Just to confirm the summary of your thoughts;

For Kyoani to rebuild itself, they can't rely 100% on their insular, self-sufficient business model. They'll have to reuse the traditional model of contracting outside animators/directors/designers to work on their projects to make up for lost talent.
In addition, bringing in outside talent will help diversify Kyoani's creative aesthetic, which you and others feel is too boxed in and reliant on the same inhouse character designs.
(IMO I always thought it was their intentional move to develop their own constant inhouse aesthetic to claim as their calling card, unlike the more jack-of-all-trades image of other studios.)

Speaking of traditional manner, would/should that also extend to Kyoani opening themselves up more to accepting commissions from external production committees to adapt LNs/manga/etc. whose IPs don't belong to them? My understanding was that it was meant to make Kyoani more independent in calling the shots, rather than be at the mercy of (insert outside publisher name here) or (insert mangaka name here).

Last edited by zztop; 2019-07-27 at 09:39.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-27, 09:38   Link #182
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I still have huge trouble with people claiming they "always keep the same aesthetics" when direction and character designs are really different, and that was already the case back during Chuunibyou era.
Recent projects involved the following character designers: Takase (VEG), Kadowaki (Tsurune, Maid dragon, Amaburi), Nishiya (Free, Hyouka, Nichijou), Ikeda Shoko (Euphonium, Haruhi) and Ikeda Kazumi (Phantom, Chuubibyou). I mean, if you were to compare the designs with each other, I fail to see how they are remotely the same.
If we are to discuss about the directors, the same observations can be made. For instance, Ishihara and Takemoto (RIP) comedies have different joke deliveries and theme emphasis, regardless of the difference between the source materials.
Yes, KyoAni is known for their emphasis on body language and a certain color pallet at times (VEG being possibly an exception to the latter rule), but in term of aesthetics, they are clear cut different. This is especially true for Kadowaki's. The only case things were "too similar" was series with Horiguchi's design, and that hardly was something that lasted.

On the flip side, yes, their choice of adaptation commonly gravitates around slice of life to a certain degree, but I think that's pretty much how the other big animation studio operate, such as Bones and Madhouse, mostly hired for shounen/action series. If that's their "specialization" that is also caused by their work environment and tenets (direct involvement in the production committee), then I believe they won't change things any time soon. If anything, if they make those changes in such times, I don't believe it will have a positive effect on them. Quite the contrary.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2019-07-27 at 10:01.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-27, 12:08   Link #183
topboy
poor man

35th Victim of Kyoto Animation Fire Passes Away
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-away/.149423
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201...011271000.html

The death toll of the blaze caused by suspected arson now stands at 35 people. 33 more people were seriously injured, and 10 of them are still hospitalized as of Saturday.

I don't get this. If 33 seriously injured why only 10 still in hospital what about 23 ?
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-27, 12:39   Link #184
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
35th Victim of Kyoto Animation Fire Passes Away
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-away/.149423
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201...011271000.html

The death toll of the blaze caused by suspected arson now stands at 35 people. 33 more people were seriously injured, and 10 of them are still hospitalized as of Saturday.

I don't get this. If 33 seriously injured why only 10 still in hospital what about 23 ?
35 peolpe total got injuries of differents severity initially. 2 of them died, 10 are still in hospital and 23 most probably got their treatment and are fine enough to continue it home already.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2019-07-27 at 14:48.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-27, 13:06   Link #185
topboy
poor man

Thank u for explained. At first I think all of 33 still seriously injured right now.
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-27, 14:55   Link #186
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Burns are horrible injuries, that take a long time to get over. I got a 3rd degree acid burn in my high school chemistry class, just a couple of spots on my arm but it took months before it was really healed.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 01:30   Link #187
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
This one's old news. But South Korea's MOFA informed the public that one of the Kyo Ani staff members is a South Korean working in Kyoto.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 06:58   Link #188
dragon1412

at this point though, i think reaching out to other studio is unavoidable for at least 1 year. Whether this is making a good or bad effect is a question for the future, but for now, at the very least, i think reaching out to other studios might do wonder for their mentality to overcame this tragedy. It help a lot when someone outside chime in to help.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 10:11   Link #189
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If I recall, KyoAni has their own school for training new people. They can teach their own newcomers. What they will need is to promote some new directors and new senior position animators. Everyone else they can get from their students.
Old 2019-07-28, 10:32   Link #190
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If I recall, KyoAni has their own school for training new people. They can teach their own newcomers. What they will need is to promote some new directors and new senior position animators. Everyone else they can get from their students.
That school is the burned one....

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-28, 15:34   Link #191
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Was it? I thought that was the semi-seperate studio they split off not long ago.
Old 2019-07-28, 22:20   Link #192
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
at this point though, i think reaching out to other studio is unavoidable for at least 1 year. Whether this is making a good or bad effect is a question for the future, but for now, at the very least, i think reaching out to other studios might do wonder for their mentality to overcame this tragedy. It help a lot when someone outside chime in to help.
IMO that would have worked ten years ago, but nowadays anime studios have their schedule packed for two years, so unless they get some directors and other key positions out of the retirement pool, I doubt they can fill the missing positions to deliver on announced projects.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 05:34   Link #193
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga stated that the Japanese government is considering support measures for Kyoto Animation after the arson but first wants to assess the situation with the relevant government agencies before discussing measures such as compensation to those who died or were injured, or rebuilding management.
Old 2019-07-29, 07:39   Link #194
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga stated that the Japanese government is considering support measures for Kyoto Animation after the arson but first wants to assess the situation with the relevant government agencies before discussing measures such as compensation to those who died or were injured, or rebuilding management.
Not collecting taxes on private donations would be a good place to start.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 08:18   Link #195
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

KyoAni blog post to "everyone in the world" (July 29, 2019)
Quote:
An unprecedented atrocity has robbed many of our friends and colleagues of their bright futures and has left many deeply injured.

News from all over the world tells us that amazingly many number of people has sent us their hearts and prayers, which are like candles in the darkness, for those of us trapped in the darkness of deepest grief.

There are many friends and colleagues who are hospitalised and suffering, fighting for their lives.

Please give us some time.

We promise that Kyoto Animation will continue to create animation that help people have dreams, hope and impress them.

Kyoto Animation will continue to make its employees and staff lead happy lives, and contribute to society and local community.

I assure you that Kyoto Animation will not give up, we will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight!

Kyoto Animation Co. CEO, Hideaki Hatta
Yes. Don't give up, and never give in to those who seek senseless destruction.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 09:29   Link #196
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

that is a great positive statement from the president

and the donation that they got is actually fantastic.. The only problem is just the lost talent and trauma-healing (actually these are the main issue and the longer one)
The rebuilding should not take too long
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 09:34   Link #197
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Other than mourning the dead, recovering from the physical and mental injuries and overcome the trauma, they mostly need to rebuild the lost talent pool, and find directors as good as those who are gone. That's some big shoes to fill for someone like Naoko Yamada. Wish the best for her and the others.

They managed to salvage data from the server
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 11:50   Link #198
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
KyoAni blog post to "everyone in the world" (July 29, 2019)
Quote:
I assure you that Kyoto Animation will not give up, we will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight!
Wait.....that sounds familiar.....where have I heard it before?.......Oh yeah, Independence Day!:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Haha, what a President-thing to say .
Old 2019-07-29, 13:41   Link #199
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
According to other sources I've seen online, the bit that comes from Independence Day isn't part of the original Japanese message. Apparently, it was put there to convey the feeling of the message instead.

Of course, it also shows my own personal views as well on translations- apparently the best translators know how to convey the feelings of the original message, whereas myself (at my extremely low level) prefer translations that are as close to the original message as possible. And I've seen/heard of more than one incident where an official translation completely screwed up a series, but that's another story(and on a side note, why I generally prefer fan translations)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-29, 17:47   Link #200
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Some good news: apparently the materials from the Studio 1 servers have been recovered.

https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/16849668/
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote