AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series > F/SN UBW TV Spoiler Threads (for Franchise Veterans)

Notices

View Poll Results: F/SN UBW TV - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 35 63.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 3.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-05-26, 11:12   Link #181
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It's my belief that when he was summoned his memory indeed was shot, because it was, in fact, a failed summoning. He just got his memories back rather quickly and conveniently forgot to mention this.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 11:28   Link #182
Lorhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Got quote? Because I've been tought that while he can trace neither Excalibur nor Ea, the reasons for these are completely different.

Excalibur just requires more mana than Archer has to burn. Whereas Ea cannot be traced simply because it cannot be analyzed.
There you go, Complete Material 3 Q&A:

Quote:
Q: What is the limit of replication in UBW? The highest level of NP (sword types) is probably Ea, but while it might be impossible for Shirou, could Archer make it? Also, under the meaning of weapons, to what extent can he make modern weapons? Must it be only blade types or can he make guns and mobile weapons?

A: Divine constructs like Ea and Excalibur are non-replicable. There might be some degraded NPs with similar performance in stock though. Also, since sword is becoming his origin, the weapons that he has stored are fundamentally limited to close combat.
As for Archer's memories, the fuzzy memory excuse due to an imperfect summoning is partially true. Not the summoning part. He figured out his circumstances and concluded that his opportunity had finally come, after Rin went to sleep. He didn't recognize Rin at first, but that's really because of his own bad memory. It came back to him, when Rin introduced herself.
Lorhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 11:31   Link #183
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Got quote? Because I've been tought that while he can trace neither Excalibur nor Ea, the reasons for these are completely different.

Excalibur just requires more mana than Archer has to burn. Whereas Ea cannot be traced simply because it cannot be analyzed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate/complete material III: World material - FAQ with Nasu: Noble Phantasms, p.134

Q: What is the limit of replication in UBW? The highest level of NP (sword types) is probably Ea, but while it might be impossible for Shirou, could Archer make it? Also, under the meaning of weapons, to what extent can he make modern weapons? Must it be only blade types or can he make guns and mobile weapons?

A: Divine constructs like Ea and Excalibur are non-replicable. There might be some degraded NPs with similar performance in stock though. Also, since sword is becoming his origin, the weapons that he has stored are fundamentally limited to close combat.
Which I find to be retconned bullshit. Avalon is of a similar nature in physical construction, having divine origins, but Shirou can Trace that just fine. Again, the HF inconsistency at work.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd.
Old 2015-05-26, 11:42   Link #184
Lorhand

Avalon is a neat exception though, since Shirou had it inside him for ten years, so he can perfectly recreate it, while Saber is around.
Old 2015-05-26, 11:45   Link #185
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Which still shows that is indeed possible for him to replicate artifacts of Divine nature. Ergo, retcon bullshit!
Old 2015-05-26, 11:50   Link #186
Lorhand

Not really. The general rule says he can't replicate divine constructs. Looking at the process of how Shirou reproduces weapons, it makes sense. He didn't have to think of the process when he reproduced Avalon. It's not a retcon, if the explanation for an exception like Avalon had already been given in the novel. It's something different if you wish to discuss Excalibur at the end of HF Normal.
Old 2015-05-26, 13:27   Link #187
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't hold the same reverence for "side" material tidbits as you guys do. If I read the VN and nothing more, I would just use my working knowledge of the story word of God be damned. No, Archer cannot replicate Excalibur perfectly. He only said he could get close enough to wipe the rest of them away inside UBW. That's not "replicating" it, but near replication.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 16:11   Link #188
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Shirou also "replicated" a sword that

Spoiler for HF:
Old 2015-05-26, 17:10   Link #189
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Which still shows that is indeed possible for him to replicate artifacts of Divine nature. Ergo, retcon bullshit!
You do realize Nasu only makes rules so he can break them, right?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-26, 17:15   Link #190
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

So I'm noticing. The man shot himself in the foot with this particular retcon (sure, Ea makes sense--that thing was built with effectively alien natures and existed before the concept of "Sword" did, so I'd expect a natural incompatibility there, given his aligned Origin and Element) and I can't help but feel Takeuchi was behind it, given his Saber waifu crap.
Old 2015-05-27, 01:45   Link #191
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
and I can't help but feel Takeuchi was behind it, given his Saber waifu crap.
Who is this Takeuchi, he sounds like me...
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 02:55   Link #192
Lorhand

Takeuchi Takashi is co-founder and CEO of Notes, and also the lead artist of Tsukihime, FSN, FZ, Kara no Kyoukai, Notes, etc.
Old 2015-05-27, 21:43   Link #193
G147

Quote:
Which I find to be retconned bullshit. Avalon is of a similar nature in physical construction, having divine origins, but Shirou can Trace that just fine. Again, the HF inconsistency at work.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd.
Quote:
First, remember that Avalon is a relic, Kiritsugu was given the Avalon by the Einzbern as a catalyst to summon Saber, so it's a Noble Phantasms to Saber not others. Kiritsugu was even able to implant and extract it out of Irisviel and himself.

Second, regarding the UBW, yes Archer and Shirou can't replicate the Divine Construct of Ea and Excalibur because the materials use to make them can't be found on Earth but they can create a sword similar to it using materials they can find on Earth, albeit it doesn't have the same powers as the actual one.

Third, Shirou was able to replicate the Avalon because he knows the materials and he can obtain that material used to create, it was inside his body after all.
G147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 22:46   Link #194
steam fish

how actually strong is unlimited blade works? i know everyone makes a big deal of it because it is a reality marble and lets shiro/archer use already projected swords but how effective is it
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 23:28   Link #195
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Define what you mean by effective.
Old 2015-05-28, 00:27   Link #196
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
According to Fate/Side Material,

Quote:
Against a normal opponent this is little more than a mildly annoying ability, but it is the natural enemy of a certain King of Heroes.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-28, 01:18   Link #197
steam fish

by effective i mean how much more of an advantage would it give during a battle like how much of a difference there is when he fights using it and not using it
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-28, 19:52   Link #198
Raviel

Well, for one thing I'm relatively sure he can project more easily inside UBW and on top of that Archer can sword spam the same way Gil shoots things with the GoB when inside UBW.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-28, 20:40   Link #199
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ultimately it depends on who and what he's fighting against, but nevertheless Unlimited Blade Works provides Shirou/Archer was a number of advantages. Among them, he has countless swords he can choose from and IIRC he can control them at will, performing feats not unlike the projectile spam of Gate of Babylon, as was mentioned. Also as a Reality Marble, he effectively changes the battlefield to his own turf. Any field advantages his opponent may have had--Bounded Fields, laid traps, etc--are all nullified, because they're no longer where they were at; they are now trapped within his hill of swords.
Old 2015-05-29, 12:18   Link #200
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

There's also the fact that the weapons conjured by UBW are completely expendable, which allows him to do some things no one who has the real deal would even THINK of doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorhand View Post
There you go, Complete Material 3 Q&A:
Anyway, thanks for the quote. I quite understand where you people are coming from. I hope you don't mind if I take even "the official side material" with a grain of salt. I accept its existence, but I can't always buy into it the same way most people do.

You can call it "headcanon", it matters not to me how many derogatory statements people fling at me.

I mean, before "Ea is a divine construct", the VN already had established that Ea cannot be traced because it cannot be analyzed.

Also wasn't Excalibur forged by faeries, not a god?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote