AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-06-16, 16:41   Link #281
Kazu-kun

If Aoi can't finish the tournament I'm gonna be really pissed. This already happened to Amuro and if there's one thing I hate is history repeating itself. That and the fact they baited us with the promise of a proper showdown between Aoi and Eve and I don't like being blue-balled.
Old 2023-06-16, 16:41   Link #282
azarhal

Boss is cool. Karen is annoying.

Mizuho and Kaede give off an even bigger old married couple vibe now.

But Aoi, why are you trying to kill yourself...but going by the preview, she's going to play the last day anyhow.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-16, 18:16   Link #283
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It only dawned on me how similar Sunrise's two currently running shows are. There's yuri in both of course, but also

Spoiler for Witch of Mercury spoilers:

I'm hoping for a happy ending in one of them at least. I'd say Birdie Wing is more likely, but it's not like the show has shyed away from killing characters.

Aoi's situation also reminds me of Ashita no Joe.
Old 2023-06-16, 19:31   Link #284
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It only dawned on me how similar Sunrise's two currently running shows are.
Birdie Wings is an honorary Gundam show since the beginning.
Old 2023-06-17, 22:08   Link #285
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:

Aoi's situation also reminds me of Ashita no Joe.
I was saying this elsewhere; she's on the path of white ash, though I suppose it's more likely she'll be as disabled as her father rather than straight up dead. The disease specifically mentioned isn't quite as bad as the stats they mentioned in a previous ep though.

I am curious how they're going to end this tournament and show.
Old 2023-06-23, 13:20   Link #286
Kazu-kun

What a disappointing ending. 24 episodes of buildup to their showdown, and they throw it all away just for some shitty drama that no one asked for. No proper paid-off whatsoever.
Old 2023-06-23, 14:22   Link #287
azarhal

"Even I couldn't predict this".

Yeah, that went sideway and inconclusive.
Old 2023-06-23, 14:56   Link #288
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

The sad thing about Eve being penalized for being an underground golfer is that the underground golfing was the most interesting part of the show. Ultimately the whole 'going pro' arc sort of lost me, so this is maybe a 6/10 in the end.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-23, 18:40   Link #289
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The ending couldn't have been more disappointing. The drama amounted to nothing since a cure was miraculously found for Aoi, Eve and Aoi's showdown was never shown, and the series ended with their relationship not progressing one bit since the first season. Cool rivalry and all but where's my yuri?!

One thing I did like about the last episode was the opposite reactions of Eve and Aoi's respective grandfathers to Eve using Athena's clubs. Eve's grandfather was portrayed as such a chill character I'm not sure why Eleanor ran away. Meanwhile Seira was treated as nothing more than tool by her father and she would have probably ended up aborting Aoi if Kazuhiko hadn't intervened. I would have loved to see that old asshole get some comeuppance.
Old 2023-06-23, 18:48   Link #290
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I personally was fine with an ending. Yeah, they went the safe route, but it was predictable considering int BN Pictures production and not Sunrise proper.

I wished we got more but S2 in general was more consistent than S1.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-23, 20:11   Link #291
Alchemist007
*Author

The finalé was pretty hype, with Eve's past catching up, Eve only barely caring about it for a moment. Even though Eve beat Juha and got it revoked because of her past, she wanted to beat Aoi the whole time which wasn't possible in that tournament anymore, so that probably wasn't much of a blow to her. I liked the timeskip ending where it did, didn't really need to see them face off, just getting to know that they DID after all their trials and tribulations was all I wanted.

I'm also glad they addressed Aoi getting treatment for her disease, and that it was quite possible, just like reality. For drama purposes they sort of hammed it up almost like it was cancer. Overall the show improved in various ways over S1. I rarely rewatch things anymore but I might with this one day in the future on physical media.

9/10
Old 2023-06-23, 20:16   Link #292
Kazu-kun

Probably one of the worst endings this year.
Old 2023-06-23, 21:07   Link #293
azarhal

Quote:
One thing I did like about the last episode was the opposite reactions of Eve and Aoi's respective grandfathers to Eve using Athena's clubs. Eve's grandfather was portrayed as such a chill character I'm not sure why Eleanor ran away. Meanwhile Seira was treated as nothing more than tool by her father and she would have probably ended up aborting Aoi if Kazuhiko hadn't intervened. I would have loved to see that old asshole get some comeuppance.
I liked that part too.
Old 2023-06-24, 05:22   Link #294
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I did like Aoi with short hair.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-25, 12:43   Link #295
Dextro
He Without a Title

Honestly it kind of feels like we missed an entire season during the timeskip prior to the British Open. Then it looked like the show just had to throw one wrench too many into the works (Juha) just to add more drama when we already had plenty with Aoi and Eve's respective limits (disease and physical pain respectively).

It's a shame really. The final couple of episodes do let the show down but, like others have mentioned, it was really the Mafia Golfing bits that were great, the rest was just ok mostly.
Old 2023-06-25, 20:49   Link #296
scififan

The only downside of the show is not playing the insert song more often. "Take a Chance" outlines the friendship and sportsmanship between two would be super stars.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-26, 12:21   Link #297
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

The last few episodes were not for me. They had this build up of Aoi vs Eve, but had to introduce not only the world's best player, but also bring back one of Eve's defeated opponents just to expose her. I didn't like the manufactured drama so late in the game/season.

Obviously, as Aoi and Eve are just teenagers, naturally in their world there are pros that are better than them, so it would have made more sense for them to finish in consecutive or tied rankings behind the more experienced pro(s).

From the illness Aoi suffered to the mafia exposure, it was too much to cram into a few episodes.

I will give the overall story of both seasons an 8/10, but the final 2-3 episodes were 6/10 for the above reasons.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
golf, sports