Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2022-10-19, 18:27   Link #1
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Silent Hill franchise discussion

Seems like Konami finally got bored of gacha?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konami
SILENT HILL f – will be a completely new story set in 1960's Japan featuring a beautiful, yet horrifying world. Written by Ryūkishi07, famed for Japanese visual novels dealing with murder mysteries, psychological and supernatural horror.
Seems like Ryukishi07 isn't going to be finishing Ciconia anytime soon but I'm optimistic for this new Silent Hill project even though they seemed to have abandoned Centralia as the setting. Some other stuff announced as well including a remake of SH2 which looks promising but after P.T. fell apart its nice to see something new.

Last edited by stray; 2022-10-19 at 18:38.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-20, 03:10   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Ryukishi sure love Showa era Japan.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-20, 05:49   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't get exactly why this is in Japan. Even the games in the SH series that were not entirely located in the town itself still had a tangential but close relationship with the town. Showa era Japan just doesn't feel related, like at all.

I'm personally more excited for the SH2 remake. SH2 for all it's jankiness is still one of the greatest horror games ever made.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-20, 07:42   Link #4
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't get exactly why this is in Japan. Even the games in the SH series that were not entirely located in the town itself still had a tangential but close relationship with the town. Showa era Japan just doesn't feel related, like at all.
My guess is to ensure Silent Hill is its own unique existence, not ended up known as "Resident Evil without explosions and rocket launcher".
Otherwise they would just announced it as Silent Hill V alongside remake like how VIIIage followed after RE remake, but they played it safe with "f" seems aware it would be unwise to not test the water and expand the setting while they can.
Old 2022-10-21, 00:46   Link #5
sa547
*Author

I like the new traditional riff on the old theme.

Also,

Spoiler for speculation with the trailer and the girl in it:
Old 2022-10-21, 01:52   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Those flower appear to be Spider Lilies, which are typically associated with death.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 10:19   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Should make this thread into a Silent Hill general thread.

I'm a lot more interested in the SH2 remake as well, as it is one of my favorite game of all time. They're using Unreal Engine 5, too, and it looks stunning. I hope they add a grain filter option though, because it looks too "clean". The music sounded subpar in the trailer too, I hope they'll keep most the tracks of the original intact. Going to play The Medium to see what this team is capable of.

Ryuukishi being the writer of F means it's a hard pass for me.
Old 2022-10-21, 16:00   Link #8
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Should make this thread into a Silent Hill general thread.
I wouldn't really mind but only a mod can change the topic now. They also announced an episodic puzzle game or adventure game or something from Annapurina:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-10-21, 18:38   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I wouldn't really mind but only a mod can change the topic now.
You should just PM a mod if you see one online.

Don't know what to make of Townfall, it's super vague. I'm just glad Konami is actually trying again. Too bad we'll never get Silent Hills.

Now if they could revive MGS. A remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 rewritten to fit better into MGS would be great.
Old 2022-10-22, 07:28   Link #10
Golden Lily

Not sure how I feel about this. Ryukishi can be such a hit and miss for me (although I think he does horror stuff well) and setting being unrelated (for now) to a titular town feels like a weird choice.

What being said, I'm SUPER excited about SH2 Remake.
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-22, 08:03   Link #11
kiak666

Speaking of SH2 Remake, looks like there are fans who hated that it was developed by Bloober Team, due to how they handled the story of The Medium...
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-22, 09:31   Link #12
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Now if they could revive MGS. A remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 rewritten to fit better into MGS would be great.
Ehhh... I dunno about all that; Metal Gear without Kojima has a really rough history and that Metal Gear Survive thing they did with zombies was pretty abysmal.

They're remaking/remastering Suikoden too but I'm probably more interested in Eiyuden Chronicle as far as new goes.
Old 2022-10-23, 08:45   Link #13
kiak666

As for how f is related to the entire series, what if the flowers we see in the trailer are related to the White Claudia mentioned in SH1?
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-24, 17:11   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Ehhh... I dunno about all that; Metal Gear without Kojima has a really rough history and that Metal Gear Survive thing they did with zombies was pretty abysmal.
Doing a remake is easier than creating a game from the ground up.

Or they could release another HD compilation also including MGS4 that would solve the problem with the controls (pressure buttons not being on newer controllers). The games have been removed for months other copyright issues with the archived footage and they don't really seem to be working on bringing them back.

Tags
horror, psychological thriller