AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-10-26, 15:39   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Fantasy with a hero who's anything but

Looking for stories with an odd setup. The main character isn't the "hero". A different man is the "hero", by destiny or nature the one who'll defeat the Big Bad, but he's full of himself, greedy, cruel, sees others as tools at best and won't hesitate to hurt anyone who doesn't understand his greatness. Preferably other characters would, at least by the end, realize just what an unheroic jerk he is. Big bonus of somehow someone else (like the MC) ends up somehow able to take that "hero" title.

I recently started reading a manga based on a light novel called "Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou Sareta Beast Tamer, Saikyou Shu Nekomimi Shoujo to Deau", in which things are somewhat like this. The main character was in a party with the "hero", who for some reason was the only one able to wield the various weapons and armors necessary to slay the Demon King. He and his party, however, kick him out without hesitation because he's "useless". On top of that, the hero himself is arrogant to no end, has no respect for anyone, and only comes back to the MC to try and use him when they realize they need his skills (and is unwilling to show any real contrition after the MC crushes him in a duel). He's that kind of guy that makes me sincerely hope that the story has some way for someone else (namely the MC) to gain the title of "hero" or that it'll turn out he's not the real hero after all.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-27, 04:02   Link #2
Lex79

Uhm. In both Arifureta and Seirei Gensuki the protagonist isn't the hero, and the actual hero (or at least one of the heroes) has negative traits and
Spoiler for something that happens:

The premise of The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat is that the protagonist job is to kill the hero after he defeat the Demon Lord to prevent him to also destroy the world. I'm currently only watching the anime so I don't know how the story will develop.
Technically, the first villain in Dai no daiboken is a fake hero, too.