AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-08-08, 22:22   Link #1
go_pens_go

.AVI subtitle enabling for WMP or VLC

I downloaded everything in a torrent batch (including .AVI eps, Vobsub, Morgan streamer and FFDShow) and the .info document told me to play WMP after installing all this and enable subs by right clicking....i installed it all and nothing showed up after enabling subs in WMP. VLC player doesn't show a 'Subtitle Track' option at all. I'm sure there's a simple solution but I couldn't get it to work after messing around with Vobsub. Please help me enable subtitles! - (for VLC if possible plz)
Old 2006-08-09, 01:00   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

1) AVI files can't contain subtitles, so I presume the subtitles are in seperate .SRT or .SSA (or .ASS) files?

2) Vobsub & Morgan streamer sound like names that should belong in a museum. I suggest
you kick that ancient crap of your PC again and install the CCCP, which has similar functionality
but is WAY more up to date.

3) VLC has trouble with soft-subtitles of any kind, so I don't recommend using it.
BUT, if you really want to:
- First check if VLC hasn't already detected the subtitle file, but has simply deactivated it
(because the VLC authors don't think anyone ever needs subtitles, they're disabled by default)
Video -> Subtitles -> [Select a track other than "Disabled"]
(Edit: Oops, you already figured that out, sorry)
- If that doesn't work, manually select the subtitle file here:
Settings -> Preferences -> Video -> Subtitles/OSD -> Load subtitles from file

4) Don't use WMP... use MPC (Media Player Classic) -- included with CCCP.
Old 2006-08-09, 02:08   Link #3
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
1) AVI files can't contain subtitles, so I presume the subtitles are in seperate .SRT or .SSA (or .ASS) files?

2) Vobsub & Morgan streamer sound like names that should belong in a museum. I suggest
you kick that ancient crap of your PC again and install the CCCP, which has similar functionality
but is WAY more up to date.

3) VLC has trouble with soft-subtitles of any kind, so I don't recommend using it.
BUT, if you really want to:
- First check if VLC hasn't already detected the subtitle file, but has simply deactivated it
(because the VLC authors don't think anyone ever needs subtitles, they're disabled by default)
Video -> Subtitles -> [Select a track other than "Disabled"]
(Edit: Oops, you already figured that out, sorry)
- If that doesn't work, manually select the subtitle file here:
Settings -> Preferences -> Video -> Subtitles/OSD -> Load subtitles from file

4) Don't use WMP... use MPC (Media Player Classic) -- included with CCCP.
1. Incorrect. You can embed softsub scripts into avi files if you want, but as you need a properly configured vsfilter to play it, you might as well go with mkv if you're going to require that much.

2. Many parts of VSFilter are still named vobsub (for instance, it displays as DirectVobSub when you're playing something), for all we know he has the most recent version of VSFilter. As for morgan, it works just fine for what it does (actually, are there even alternatives?), but ok, who releases dual-audio avi files these days? As for CCCP having similar functionality, I'd say that's pretty obvious as it's just a repackaged ffdshow/VSFilter/a couple of other things.

3. VLC doesn't have trouble with srts, or very simple SSAs, but I'll agree that it is a much worse subtitle renderer than vsfilter is. Then again, all text renderers on linux have sucked so far, so videolan is no different there.
Old 2006-08-09, 04:19   Link #4
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
As for morgan, it works just fine for what it does (actually, are there even alternatives?), but ok, who releases dual-audio avi files these days? As for CCCP having similar functionality, I'd say that's pretty obvious as it's just a repackaged ffdshow/VSFilter/a couple of other things.

3. VLC doesn't have trouble with srts, or very simple SSAs, but I'll agree that it is a much worse subtitle renderer than vsfilter is. Then again, all text renderers on linux have sucked so far, so videolan is no different there.
For your morgan trolling and CCCP bashing I suggest you run really far away before nicholi or thefluff sees - morgan is evul and unstable and CCCP is the manna that gives us life.
As for question 3, have you heard of mplayer?

As to the original question, you need to rename the sub file to the same name as the avi file, and then add ".srt" as the extension. Then the CCCP and its players will open it 100% fine. If you installed any of the other stuff you will need to uninstall it AND reinstall the CCCP to be sure there are no other problems.
Old 2006-08-09, 04:34   Link #5
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers
For your morgan trolling and CCCP bashing I suggest you run really far away before nicholi or thefluff sees - morgan is evul and unstable and CCCP is the manna that gives us life.
As for question 3, have you heard of mplayer?
"Bashing"? Telling the truth is bashing these days?

And yes, I've heard of mplayer. It was included in those sucky renderers. I guess vf_ass (or whatever the decoding component was named) is good "enough" not to be called sucky, but VSFilter is still quite a bit better.
Old 2006-08-09, 05:46   Link #6
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
1. Incorrect. You can embed softsub scripts into avi files if you want, but as you need a properly configured vsfilter to play it, you might as well go with mkv if you're going to require that much.
Yes, you can do it, but it's very pointless. Might as well keep the softsubs in a separate file, since you can't attach fonts or vobsubs anyway. It doesn't seem to work with any other AVI splitter than Microsoft's, either, and even then it's quite flaky (SSA seems to be translated into SRT for some reason...)

Quote:
2. Many parts of VSFilter are still named vobsub (for instance, it displays as DirectVobSub when you're playing something), for all we know he has the most recent version of VSFilter.
Highly unlikely, when someone talks about VobSub they generally mean the name of the installer, and that means 2.23. And it doesn't call itself only "VobSub" anywhere that I know of, it's either DirectVobSub, TextSub or VSFilter.

Quote:
As for morgan, it works just fine for what it does (actually, are there even alternatives?)
It never "worked fine" that I'm aware of, but that's another story... The alternative is having a proper splitter that doesn't expose all the audio streams as pins. (or using a proper player with builtin audio splitting)

Quote:
MPlayer's old one at least works properly and lets you read the subs, even if it doesn't render any fancy effects. vf_ass is a whole lot better, but I'll let it be unsaid if VSFilter actually is "better" or not. It DOES render more effects, yes, but at the same time it's a bug-ridden, evil, slow, and unreadable mess. Some parts of it seem done for the very purpose of preventing people from replicating the rendering results...

As for the bashing, I didn't see any, but I didn't see much truth either... >_>
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2006-08-09 at 06:37.
Old 2006-08-09, 06:04   Link #7
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Not entirely correct. While you can embed softsubs in AVI, what you need to display it is Microsoft's AVI splitter (and any DirectShow sub renderer), because it probably doesn't work with any other splitters (Gabest's possibly excluded). You can't attach fonts or Vobsubs either so the only meaningful format to attach would be SRT.
Or SSA, shrug. Both microsoft's and gabest's splitters work atleast. Videolan does seem to recognize that the file has a subtitle track, but fails at rendering anything for some mystical reason. Can't be bothered to boot up a linux PC just to see how it works there, but I guess it's reasonable to guess it's "windows only".
Old 2006-08-09, 06:44   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

It seems to work in MPlayer at least, but I can only get it working about half of the times in MPC/Zoom with VSFilter and MS/Gabest's splitters. When it DOES work, SSA seems to get transformed to SRT for some weird reason... Most common problem is that vsfilter loads and detects the sub stream, but fails to display it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-08-09, 19:27   Link #9
go_pens_go

You guys were extremely helpful and I really appreciate the quick and abundant responses! Hah, I even learned a thing or two here since I'm a beginner. You guys own!