Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2019-06-14, 01:20   Link #1
AnimeFan188

Persian Gulf

U.S. Says Video Shows Iranian Forces Removing Dud Mine From
Damaged Tanker:

"After Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of launching the attacks on two
tankers transiting the area, U.S. Central Command has now released impressive video
and photographic evidence that appears to show an Iranian Navy or Islamic
Revolutionary Guards Corps fast boat going back to remove a dud limpet mine from
the Kokuka Courageous's damaged hull. That move alone is incredibly brazen
considering the amount of attention and subsequent surveillance on the stricken vessels
the attacks prompted.

In addition, USS Bainbridge, a U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke class destroyer on the scene,
snapped this photo showing one of the mines undetonated and still attached to the hull:

According to the Navy, the go-fast boat pulled up to the ship and detached the dud
mine some nine hours after the first distress call from the tanker came in.

This appears to be a bizarrely brazen move by the Iranians. The small boat, which also
packed a ZU-23 23mm autocannon, was likely tracked back to its place of origin after
removing the mine. According to our sources, American helicopters, drones, and a P-8
Poseidon was overhead the area throughout the day, and that's not to mention surface
and subsurface assets and those of U.S. allies in the vicinity.

Also, the speed boat was relatively packed with people. This is so odd for such a risky
mission. Maybe their commander told them they are better off risking grabbing their
mistake than leaving it in place and suffering the internal consequences."

See:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...damaged-tanker

Looks like they tried a bit too hard to cover their tracks ............
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 07:38   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I remain unpersuaded by the Trump Administration's version of events. Any number of actors could have undertaken these attacks including the Saudis, their Gulf partners, and most militia groups. The US claim that only the Iranians possess the technology to carry out this action is patently absurd.

Nor has the US provided any explanation for how it would benefit Iran to blow up two ships with ties to Japan while Abe Shinzo is visiting Tehran?

I've seen this scenario before -- once in Iraq and once before that in Southeast Asia. Bolton and Pompeo, and their buddies in Riyadh and elsewhere, are itching to construct a scenario where Iran will act "provocatively" and trigger a US military reaction. The potential for escalation is great.

I recommend these:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff...port-attacked/

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tanker-attacks

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...erica-and-iran
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-15, 00:51   Link #3
AnimeFan188

Iran Tried To Shoot Down U.S. Reaper Drone Near Tankers
Hours Before Attacks: Report:

"Iranian boats reportedly tried and failed to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone
flying, which was monitoring their movement in the Gulf of Oman just hours before
attacks on a pair of oil tankers in the same general area two days ago. This comes
amid separate reports that Iran has been interfering with the ongoing efforts to recover
one of the two tankers, the Front Altair, which had suffered a serious fire in the incident.

CNN was first to report the new details, citing an unnamed U.S. government official, on
June 14, 2019. The source described the weapon the Iranian's employed as a "missile,"
but did not specify what type. They added that it had missed the drone and fallen into
the ocean. They did not say whether or not the unmanned aircraft had subsequently
observed the Iranians conducting any actual attacks on the Front Altair or a second
tanker, the Kokuka Courageous.

Given the generally small size of Iran's various armed speed boats, it seems very likely
that the weapon in question was a short-range, heat-seeking, man-portable, shoulder-
fired, surface-to-air missile, commonly known as MANPADS, which stands for Man
Portable Air Defense System. Iran's military and quasi-military Islamic Revolutionary
Guard Corps (IRGC) both have various types of these weapons in service, including
locally produced clones and derivatives of Chinese models."

See:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...attacks-report
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote