Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2019-02-07, 20:33   Link #1361
Sakamaki Izayoi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
yea it's translated up to ch 50 i think
Nice, I was really in need of a VRMMO/MMO series since I caught up with Dendrogram and waiting for translations of Ecstas Online, I think I saw some users saying that OSO is more like a SOL series right? That will be an interesting changing of pace for me, thanks.
Old 2019-02-07, 20:39   Link #1362
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakamaki Izayoi View Post
Nice, I was really in need of a VRMMO/MMO series since I caught up with Dendrogram and waiting for translations of Ecstas Online, I think I saw some users saying that OSO is more like a SOL series right? That will be an interesting changing of pace for me, thanks.
One that i quite like that a lot like OSO, right down to some character names and roles, is "VRMMO Summoner Hajimemashita." It starts out similar to OSO but the character takes a completely different path from there. I almost dropped on the first chapter cause it seemed like a carbon copy but the mc is much more combat related and actively seeks monsters.Plus it has a lot of fun slice of life.

Just in case you want something similar but different.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 20:42   Link #1363
Sakamaki Izayoi

Quote:
One that i quite like that a lot like OSO, right down to some character names and roles, is "VRMMO Summoner Hajimemashita." It starts out similar to OSO but the character takes a completely different path from there. I almost dropped on the first chapter cause it seemed like a carbon copy but the mc is much more combat related and actively seeks monsters.Plus it has a lot of fun slice of life.

I appreciate the suggestion, I love VRMMO series so I'll read that one too, thanks!
Old 2019-02-07, 20:52   Link #1364
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckersister View Post
I don't understand why can't this be an anime.
I can't understand how this could be. It's mostly pages of crafting and the lack of stakes don't help.
Old 2019-02-07, 21:00   Link #1365
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I can't understand how this could be. It's mostly pages of crafting and the lack of stakes don't help.
There is that point too. I mean anime like slow start are good because there's relationship building and cgdct content, Only sense would have to get by with Yun doing crafting experiments alone with a unicorn and a fox. Then every 4 episodes go do something. I read it cause i don't mind that kind of stuff but something tells me the anime crowd wouldn't be able to get invested in it.

Old 2019-02-07, 22:09   Link #1366
Twi

Quote:
Log Horizon got an anime. And Atelier Logy and Escha. And whatever other crafting anime they can milk.

It doesn't need heavy SAO Stakes, which is good because that's gotten played out in VRMMORPGs. I like the crafting elements more than anything and if it gets an anime I'd be on top of the world.
Old 2019-02-07, 23:38   Link #1367
Keila

It'd be perfectly fine to have an anime, if you treated it as slice of live/narrative driven, rather than being action/combat.
Old 2019-02-08, 00:15   Link #1368
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
It'd be perfectly fine to have an anime, if you treated it as slice of live/narrative driven, rather than being action/combat.
The problem is that in SoL you have character interaction to drive the story. While there is character interaction with Yun, he mostly avoids it when he can. A lot of times there's a few chapters without a single other character appearing.

I'm not saying these are bad points because that's just the kind of story it is, but it would attract a niche audience and most companies aren't willing to take the risk.

Old 2019-02-08, 02:20   Link #1369
Keila

Quote:
The problem is that in SoL you have character interaction to drive the story. While there is character interaction with Yun, he mostly avoids it when he can. A lot of times there's a few chapters without a single other character appearing.

I'm not saying these are bad points because that's just the kind of story it is, but it would attract a niche audience and most companies aren't willing to take the risk.
He doesn't really avoid it (and he inevitably does meet/party up with others when the situation demands it), it's just that he's quite intent to do things at his own pace.

Things like Spice and Wolf got an anime but is a much more relaxed/narrative driven piece (admittedly it has at least 2 characters which can banter with one another).

The Martian (movie version) is fundamentally about a guy stuck on Mars and the 'actors' on Earth in their discovery and subsequent attempt to save him, with much of the highlights being effectively internal monologues/journal entries covering his plans, hopes, dreams and desires. You could achieve the same effect for OSO by chucking in a narrator and including a bunch of the internal monologues/discovery of Yun trying out the various new senses.

○ Cut between the sisters/friend as they 'live' through the world, discover future events/plot points inter-spaced with Yun not giving a damn and going at their own pace
○ Power through more of the solo stuff by using a flashback sequence/still frames (admittedly people hate still frames, but it allows you to time skip as long as it's been explained what the hell is actually going on). These would have to be 'action stills' focusing on the key-points of whatever events have taken place, either serious or humorous in nature.
○ Keep more of the monologues/thoughts when they actually party up and focus on these for extended animation to take up time of necessary

The fact that (these days) 'twitch streamers' is a legitimate job would suggest that people are quite happy to watch people do things, the only question is how entertaining that experience is. Fundamentally you'd think anything on twitch (and other mediums) would be niche as hell yet they exist. Obviously turning something into an anime is expensive (comparatively) but it's not that they couldn't, it's just simply finding the right angle for it to obtain a meaningful return on investment.
Old 2019-02-08, 10:29   Link #1370
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Log Horizon got an anime. And Atelier Logy and Escha. And whatever other crafting anime they can milk.

It doesn't need heavy SAO Stakes, which is good because that's gotten played out in VRMMORPGs. I like the crafting elements more than anything and if it gets an anime I'd be on top of the world.
All of which had stakes, or characters who had goals which they pursued. Log Horizon watched the development of a player community trapped in a MMORPG reality and Atelier sucked because it didn't cash in on its premise, which was ripe with conflict and stakes.

Quote:
Even a slice of life/narrative needs some conflict or tension.

Quote:
He doesn't really avoid it (and he inevitably does meet/party up with others when the situation demands it), it's just that he's quite intent to do things at his own pace.

Things like Spice and Wolf got an anime but is a much more relaxed/narrative driven piece (admittedly it has at least 2 characters which can banter with one another).

The Martian (movie version) is fundamentally about a guy stuck on Mars and the 'actors' on Earth in their discovery and subsequent attempt to save him, with much of the highlights being effectively internal monologues/journal entries covering his plans, hopes, dreams and desires. You could achieve the same effect for OSO by chucking in a narrator and including a bunch of the internal monologues/discovery of Yun trying out the various new senses.

○ Cut between the sisters/friend as they 'live' through the world, discover future events/plot points inter-spaced with Yun not giving a damn and going at their own pace
○ Power through more of the solo stuff by using a flashback sequence/still frames (admittedly people hate still frames, but it allows you to time skip as long as it's been explained what the hell is actually going on). These would have to be 'action stills' focusing on the key-points of whatever events have taken place, either serious or humorous in nature.
○ Keep more of the monologues/thoughts when they actually party up and focus on these for extended animation to take up time of necessary

The fact that (these days) 'twitch streamers' is a legitimate job would suggest that people are quite happy to watch people do things, the only question is how entertaining that experience is. Fundamentally you'd think anything on twitch (and other mediums) would be niche as hell yet they exist. Obviously turning something into an anime is expensive (comparatively) but it's not that they couldn't, it's just simply finding the right angle for it to obtain a meaningful return on investment.
So he doesn't interact with others until he has to, which means this can't be Spice & Wolf.

Unlike OSO, The Martian sounds like the guy's actually trying to accomplish something.

Are there popular twitch streamers that do nothing but craft?
Old 2019-02-08, 11:17   Link #1371
Twi

Those are stakes. Their just personal stakes that aren't highly stressful, which makes sense given his whole purpose is to play the game his own way and as a way to relax. Though, that Atelier Adaptation was an abomination, I will admit.

And he does interact with others though. He frequently goes to party with his sisters, with Taku's party, the crafting guild, and so on. Every volume has him interacting with someone, so that doesn't seem to be an issue to me.

If the anime only covered three volumes of content for 12 episodes, we'd still get:

* The introduction to the system, the creation of the Triton Ring, the deal with the Train Man, and the opening of the Atelier in the first 3 episodes.

* The entire summer event including the final raid against the mythical beasts in the second 3 episodes.

* The experimentation with the Slime Synthesis and the quest for the Guild Permit, ending with the establishment of the Guild Hall for the Crafting guild in the last 3 episodes.
Old 2019-02-08, 19:05   Link #1372
Keila

Quote:
Are there popular twitch streamers that do nothing but craft?
There are popular (based on numbers not by content) users on all various social media platforms (tasteful or not). What they're doing is fundamentally irrelevant, as long as it is entertaining enough to keep people engaged. Hell, that's why the concept of 'cute girls doing cute things' continues to exist despite not having much substance behind it. There are countless youtube videos/channels about kids ripping off other kids in games (and yet somehow being a dick to total strangers on the internet is somehow inherently popular).

Hell, there are more than a few anime where the focus is on 'customer service', whether that be via cooking or other mechanisms. They're not exactly deeply plot driven and the scope is rather contained but the point is the customer service/narrative around provision of said service.

Whether something could/could not be done (in a medium designed for entertainment) fundamentally stems from whether you can execute in a way that will engage the audience. The audience that you're trying to target (and thus appeal to) influenced the product you ship out.
Old 2019-04-20, 11:28   Link #1373
Alisa~Chan~
A Bat Toting FOX~!

Hey Ho~!!! Anyone missed me~!? Well i do~ And i have a present for all of you~!
Behold Yun-chan in a Swimsuit~!
And also a compilation of future Illustrations from Volume 12-16~~
https://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=4663
Enjoy~!
Alisa~Chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-21, 16:41   Link #1374
Twi

17 volumes so far?
Old 2019-04-21, 17:28   Link #1375
The Green One

Sadly the translations have stalled.

Maybe it'll eventually get localized.
Old 2019-04-22, 07:48   Link #1376
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

It'll be better if Yun also wear bikinis XD
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-22, 09:28   Link #1377
Alisa~Chan~
A Bat Toting FOX~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
17 volumes so far?
Yes~ The current newest volume is 17~!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Sadly the translations have stalled.

Maybe it'll eventually get localized.
Yep~ The Translator for the LN is currently MIA~ Worry not though~ Another translator is currently translating the WN~ and there are some delicious scenes at 110+~ and it was quite worth the read~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
It'll be better if Yun also wear bikinis XD
I think it suits her figure very much though~! It hugs her petite figure so well~ And in case you haven't noticed~ That her Swimsuit isn't exactly just a one piece~ She is wearing a One piece and shorts with spats like texture~~! Isn't your faith a bit lacking to not notice that Important detail~!? heathens~!
Also~ I think that a swimsuit would suit her~ since it's YUN-chan~ but i think it would make people focus on her assets instead~! So its a bit of a no from me~ we need more cuteness~
Alisa~Chan~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-24, 01:55   Link #1378
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa~Chan~ View Post

Yep~ The Translator for the LN is currently MIA~ Worry not though~ Another translator is currently translating the WN~ and there are some delicious scenes at 110+~ and it was quite worth the read~
OSO's LN translator is still active, but they have put aside translating OSO to translate other LNs.
https://krytykal.org/only-sense/volume-11/chapter-4/

Currently they are translating the LNs for Kenja no Deshi wa Nanoru Kenja.
They intend to continue translations of OSO Vol 11 after they finish Vol 3 of Kenja, but they're not sure if they want to keep on translating the remaining volumes after Vol 11 yet.

Quote:

IIRC the MC for VRMMO's a lot more chill about looking like a girl, and even embraces it by wearing gear that resembles a frilly rabbit-patterned dress.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-24, 11:29   Link #1379
The Green One

That MC subscribes to the school of "Cute is justice!"

Yeah, this one did pretty much start off as a carbon copy rip off of OSO. Even having the names be the same was a bit unsubtle.
Old 2019-04-24, 12:00   Link #1380
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
That MC subscribes to the school of "Cute is justice!"

Yeah, this one did pretty much start off as a carbon copy rip off of OSO. Even having the names be the same was a bit unsubtle.
It is, although it might work better for readers wanting more lighthearted fluff (and less of MC complaining about his avatars girliness).
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, cutest trap among girls, gender bender, nekama, vrmmorpg, yun is justice