AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-09-29, 22:50   Link #21
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
What kind of mumbo jumbo they gonna invoke for the body swapping and THAT other detail? Wiccan magic? Quantum physics? God's intervention?

Mitsuwa gonna be a Amish? A Mormon? A country bumpkin from the Deep South or the Midwest? I dont see native american mysticism used as narrative device as likely.

On the subject of Edge of Tomorrow, one need to remember that this one is an exception to the general rule. They got lucky on that one, either from the man in charge of adapting the screen or the lead actors carrying the movie.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-02, 23:53   Link #22
Verso Sciolto
Banned

This needs a place. Might as well be here, I thought.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-09, 01:06   Link #23
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
The following words have been attributed to a statement by Makoto Shinkai on the matter: [...] - via Japan Times, ...
Has anyone encountered any more comments from Shinkai regarding this proposed Live Action adaptation? I could be wrong but my first impression from these brief words was that he won't really be involved in the adaptation process himself. Based, again on a very brief comment, he does seem open to the project and its aims. Appears to anticipate a reinterpretation based on elements of the story he didn't see himself. That's an approach I quite like from a creator. Now that the film is in cinemas, released to the public, it is no longer exclusively his film. Nor is it exclusively his idea or vision for that idea which matters but I'm curious what else he might have said about the proposal. A proposal which I'd like to see come to fruition. As one commenter said, paraphrasing, the adaptation will say more about the adaptor than about the original film. I'd like to see another great interpretation but if these writers, directors and ultimately the cast don't deliver, it won't erase the animated film/novel Shinkai created.
Old 2017-11-11, 00:44   Link #24
Verso Sciolto
Banned

http://www.nact.jp/english/exhibitio...shinkaimakoto/

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-11-11 at 10:18.
Old 2018-01-19, 03:06   Link #25
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Briefly, to note that a Hollywood adaptation was noted in the lead-in of the TV broadcast; briefly, to mention Violet Evergarden; to name-drop Kazuo Ishiguro.
Old 2019-02-14, 22:11   Link #26
saya_leviathan

500 Days of Summer's Marc Webb Directs Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Since it's Westernized, they have to change the setting.
Quote:
A young Native American woman living in a rural area and a young man from Chicago discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies. When a disaster threatens to upend their lives, they must journey to meet and save their worlds.
BTW, the Japanese right holders are the one who requested to have Hollywood version of the movie.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...erview/.141281
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-15, 03:23   Link #27
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So, it turns out that Sides' guess was correct after all :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
If I was a writer, I would use a native tribe, pseudo traditions, life on a reserve and urban life as starting point for an adaptation. Kimi no Na wa, iirc, has some mystical and cultural element to its story, so it is really hard use tradition and culture from North America, after colonisation, plus non-natives as core for a rewrite. Of course, if the story doesn't take place in the US, but in some European place, you can always make up some wishy washy pagan stuff.
Well, this is rare of me but I'm kinda looking forward to it. The scriptwriter is good and the director is also good when it comes to drama-romance. It's promising so far. Of course I'm not expecting the beauty of the anime out of it, just a decent retelling/reimagining in a different setting.
Old 2019-02-15, 08:48   Link #28
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

If Eric somehow writes the plot to connect with Arrival...oh my god, without giving spoilers away about Arrival...that would be crazy.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-17, 15:31   Link #29
Toukairin
Banned

Marc Webb (director), Eric Heisserer (screenwriter), and J.J. Abrams (producer). Now we are talking about serious stuff, and I'm really getting on the hype.

If Eric Heisserer manages to use some of the screenwriting tricks he used in Arrival, we are in for a great ride.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote