AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-09-26, 12:24   Link #281
MCAL

Well that just ruined me. And a movie now too? Don't think I can take it.

A 9/10.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-26, 19:03   Link #282
serac
Mandoo

Beautiful music throughout the series.
Ending was a happy ending.
This show makes you sad from the first episode to the very last.
I still root for Suwa and Naho though which is odd. I never felt this way about anime before. Overall, I give it a 8.5/10
Old 2016-09-26, 19:41   Link #283
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
While I generally like happy endings, it would have given a stronger message if Kakeru had died. In that case the message would have been that you can't change the past no matter what and you have to live with your regrets so don't do anything you'd end up regretting and do what makes you and everyone around happy, or something along those lines. Kakeru surviving doesn't have any such message and is just a happy ending. I don't really mind this ending as it was a pretty emotional one and I'm a sucker for shit like this, but him dying would have been even more emotional and much better.
I look at it in a different way. There is a message, one for people who are depressed and contemplating suicide, and more importantly, for those around them. It's about understanding what depression is like, and what we can do to try and help people overcome it. Basically, the message is "Do your best to understand. And try, every little thing can make a difference."

And speaking from experience, even if one knows that what the person's going through is something beyond one's control, it's incredibly difficult not to keep thinking "what if?" And for me, it happened to a friend that I wasn't that close to - I can't imagine what it'd be like when it's someone right next to you.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-27, 09:34   Link #284
Yamada II

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I look at it in a different way. There is a message, one for people who are depressed and contemplating suicide, and more importantly, for those around them. It's about understanding what depression is like, and what we can do to try and help people overcome it. Basically, the message is "Do your best to understand. And try, every little thing can make a difference."

And speaking from experience, even if one knows that what the person's going through is something beyond one's control, it's incredibly difficult not to keep thinking "what if?" And for me, it happened to a friend that I wasn't that close to - I can't imagine what it'd be like when it's someone right next to you.
That is an interesting way to look at it, but I was looking at it more in line with what the show pushed as its central theme which is regrets. Kakeru "regretted" not being with his mom, Naho and friends "regretted" not being able to save Kakeru and so on. In line with this theme, I think Kakeru not surviving could have been a better ending. It did have that little depressed kid with suicidal tendencies, but I feel like the central theme was about regrets more than anything.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-28, 03:27   Link #285
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
mmm, well, actually give up to your own future, give up to your love and especially give up to your child to be born is not what I'd call "little thing". Add to this that the show focused so much on the romance aspect, a romance that without the efforts and renounces of 4 others persons would have never happened (kinda saying it wasn't meant to be), that is a bit misleading because it seems that like without a blossomed romance Kakeru fate would have not been saved.

Yeah, that's why I really didn't like the series as much as I wanted. It's because of the unfocused/confused message if there is any.
It would have been far more on point (also considering the difficulties and lack of any chemistry between Naho and Kakeru) the romance did not blossom, because really, romantic love is ephemeral while the bonds of the friendship they all shared was far more powerful, both as portrayed on screen than well, realistically speaking (and not that the show didn't know, since Suwa was always the first to appear in Kakeru's mind, rightfully so).

Also, now that all is said and done the child was really unnecessary and misleading. I'd have been far more comfortable without him, since in this way the result is unclear since Naho and Suwa at the end of the day seemed to be fine renouncing to their own child to save Kakeru. But sorry, the exchange doesn't work for me, it's just wrong, from both sides! And I know I probably should not put it in this way, but honestly this aspect has not been touched in the slightest so that's the outcome all considered. For this reason I think the child would have been better to be not in the picture in the first place. It didn't add anything anyways.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2016-09-28 at 03:43.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-06, 21:29   Link #286
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Also, now that all is said and done the child was really unnecessary and misleading. I'd have been far more comfortable without him, since in this way the result is unclear since Naho and Suwa at the end of the day seemed to be fine renouncing to their own child to save Kakeru. But sorry, the exchange doesn't work for me, it's just wrong, from both sides! And I know I probably should not put it in this way, but honestly this aspect has not been touched in the slightest so that's the outcome all considered. For this reason I think the child would have been better to be not in the picture in the first place. It didn't add anything anyways.
I watched all of it today, and I have to admit that's the only point that is really annoying me.
I mean... We know from their past selves that the letters are not changing, hence the parallel world theory. But future Naho doesn't, which means she's willing to take the risk of losing her own child. What kind of parenting is that ?

Well the other point that I find messed up is how open they talked about Naho's feelings for Kakeru, but Future Suwa doesn't seem to give a damn about all of that. Sure, he's not jealous. But at this point, it's like he couldn't care less. It's so... detached.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote