AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-10, 14:48   Link #21
marvelB

Yeah, I don't think that Luffy is "hot" during Gear 2, either. So far, the only person who might have a chance at hurting Aokiji is Sanji with his fire-leg attack, but that might change when we see Gear 3 in action.....
Old 2006-07-10, 15:08   Link #22
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
Actually the way I understood is that the jet-attacks are so fast that you don't see it. But there's definitly contact. Then again, the gears haven't been specified or anything so it's basically just a theory.
Well, Blueno reckons Luffy has figured out "Soru" and is using it to boost his attack speed. "JET Whip" (what Luffy does in this chapter) wouldn't work as a power blast.

How "Gear 2" works though is still a mystery.
Old 2006-07-10, 16:41   Link #23
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
Yeah, I'm not really into the whole Douriki thing either, since it was obvious since W7 that Lucci was the strongest guy. Still, I always kinda had the impression that the strength of Tekkai was equal for everyone in CP9...

Oh, and speaking of W7, I found it quite amusing that after Lucci reminded Luffy about the Shigan he gave him at the Galley La building, Luffy simply replied that he ate meat and got all better (meat must be a magic healing food to rubber men or something, considering that it helped Luffy heal after his fight with Croc...).

And about Spandam, I'm also gonna have to agree that there might be a surprise waiting for him behind the Gate as well (Buster Call? Aokiji? Maybe both?!). The fact that the gate guards didn't salute him was sort of a hint of this if you ask me...

I'm not surprise by the fact that Tekkai can be of various strength. It might be that I'm an Asian, but ever since Tekkai appears, the move is screaming Martial Art to me.

There is a technique in Shaolin that supposely able to turn flesh into near-iron state by concentrates one's Chi (or energy) into body and turn muscles into highly condensed state. And due to the focus it require to pull the technique user is usually stationary. It's a pure defensive technique.

Not quite sure how if there's a English name for it. But a literal Chinese translation would be "Golden-Bell Cover" or "Jin-Jong-Chao". The lesser effective version is simly call "In-Chi-Kong" or "Hard Chi"

As for Luffy's Gear 2, when I first saw him use against Bruno, me head was screaming "damn, Luffy just learned Kaiô-ken from Goku" Than I realized, that' nothing special, almost all Shonen manga heros have a move like Kaio-Ken or can power-up by buring their Cosmos ala Saint-Seiya style ^_^

Anyway, this chapter is awsome, Luffy and Lucchi goes full ahead. I like the part where Lucchi actually acknowledged Franky's strength, now I really would like to see his face after he learns that he is the only CP9 left.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2006-07-10 at 17:11.
Old 2006-07-11, 09:10   Link #24
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
Yeah, I don't think that Luffy is "hot" during Gear 2, either. So far, the only person who might have a chance at hurting Aokiji is Sanji with his fire-leg attack, but that might change when we see Gear 3 in action.....
Ace sounds like a better alternative in that case. Unless you ment out of the strawhats.
Old 2006-07-11, 13:11   Link #25
marvelB

Yeah, I meant out of the Straw-Hats. Heck, maybe even Franky might have a chance against Aokiji as well, if he actually joins the crew. He does have that firebreathing attack...
Old 2006-07-11, 14:55   Link #26
RacerX

Thumbs up

As for the gear 2nd mystery, there is a process to harden rubber called vulcanization and it's done with sulfer and heat. (I am not exactly sure how it works..) however this would explain the smoke and or steam coming from Luffy's body. However I still don't know completely why smoke would be emitted continously from his body...

If this is the explination I personally think it is pretty stinkin cool, I really like how Oda was really creative in coming up with a way to evolve the main character and keep him dynamic and interesting...

*I remember reading this explination on vulcanization another thread, I wanted to give credit to the poster but couldn't find it for the life of me... searched for a good half hour*
Old 2006-07-11, 15:02   Link #27
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Yeah, the vulcanization is a decent theory, and gear 3 supports it further since he's apparently condensing himself, but the question still remains, how did he figure out how to do it? I'm sure it's not something he thought through. Knowing Luffy he probably just thought of something like "how do I get stronger...that one guy is made of ice....how do you fight ice...HEAT, yeah, I'll heat up and that should make me stronger!" or something like that.
Old 2006-07-11, 18:55   Link #28
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Yeah, the vulcanization is a decent theory, and gear 3 supports it further since he's apparently condensing himself, but the question still remains, how did he figure out how to do it? I'm sure it's not something he thought through. Knowing Luffy he probably just thought of something like "how do I get stronger...that one guy is made of ice....how do you fight ice...HEAT, yeah, I'll heat up and that should make me stronger!" or something like that.
Actually I think he did think it trough. He actually said to Blueno that after getting beaten by Ao kiji he had to find new ways of getting stronger. This gear thing might have been something he's been thinking about and with Robin captured it's time finally to use it properly.

Heh, reading back my own words I can't help thinking I just desperatly want it to be plausible he got so much stronger in such a short time. Altough we should remember that it's not exactly unrealistic he got this much stronger power-wise, after all, he simply found a technique in that short time that happens to make his attacks a helluvalot stronger.
Old 2006-07-12, 07:28   Link #29
RacerX

Question Jet Stream...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
Actually the way I understood is that the jet-attacks are so fast that you don't see it. But there's definitly contact.

That is another thing, while I think it's really cool and required for Luffy to defeat stronger and stronger enemies, I really don't understand the jet Techs... I mean untill now all of his attacks have been rubber-like attachs , elasticity, balloon, stretching etc, how does the jet attacks tie back to Luffy's rubber nature?

I mean from the scenes where he uses the jet attacks I don't see any stretching hitting or anything all I see is a jet of air that seem to pack quite a punch...
Old 2006-07-12, 08:21   Link #30
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

No that's why I said I thought there is actually contact, but because of the speed we can't see it. Like elastic being streched really tight and suddenly released.

Then again, the fact that luffy open's his hand while attacking doesn't really make sense actually, if there is contact, why not make a fist?
Old 2006-07-12, 12:10   Link #31
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

I read a translation of 419, and all I can say is
Spoiler:

Spoiler for 419 images, mwahaha:

Last edited by Illuyankas; 2006-07-12 at 17:52.
Old 2006-07-12, 14:45   Link #32
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Could you please not saying anything, not even one word about the new chapter until it has it's own thread? Some people, believe it or not, like to remain completely clueless about what we will see in the next chapter and it makes the wait more painful to hear anything about it.
Old 2006-07-13, 00:28   Link #33
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Could you please not saying anything, not even one word about the new chapter until it has it's own thread? Some people, believe it or not, like to remain completely clueless about what we will see in the next chapter and it makes the wait more painful to hear anything about it.
Well that's why he used SPOILER tags...
You only look, if you want to look... it's your own fault if you spoil it ^^

Though maybe you could blame him for tempting you, i know i am =P
Oh the temptation... "curse you foul temptress"!
Old 2006-07-13, 02:55   Link #34
voodzen
The Sock Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuyankas
I read a translation of 419, and all I can say is
Spoiler:

Spoiler for 419 images, mwahaha:

[spoil] Yeah it was so awesome when he shot Spandam from that far away and then shot the keys to Franky. He truly is king [/spoil]
Old 2006-07-14, 15:09   Link #35
Chuixupu
Shikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
Well that's why he used SPOILER tags...
You only look, if you want to look... it's your own fault if you spoil it ^^

Though maybe you could blame him for tempting you, i know i am =P
Oh the temptation... "curse you foul temptress"!
He edited the spoiler tags LATER. It wasn't under tags when I looked.
And Voodzen's failure to use the spoiler tags correctly was even worse...although fortunately I already read the chapter by now.
Closed Thread