2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-05-27, 10:37   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Attack on Titan - Episode 34 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Attack on Titan, Episode 34.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-27, 11:47   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So Reiner has an identity crisis for being undercover for so long and is the one responsible for Marco's death.
Old 2017-05-27, 20:20   Link #3
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So Reiner has an identity crisis for being undercover for so long and is the one responsible for Marco's death.
That and like Eren said, his guilt and sin.

He deserves a fate worse than death. Lacky boy too.
Old 2017-05-28, 04:46   Link #4
ReddyRedWolf

Personally I wouldn't call Bert and Reiner as psychotic mass killers. I would've just called them f**king terrorists!

Obviously Ymir has info Reiner doesn't want leaked to Eren or the Scouting Legion. Using Christa as leverage.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-28, 11:42   Link #5
ArrowSmith

Why would Ymir be complicit in the extermination of humanity, leaving only the Titan hybrids + Crista? Crista would lose her sanity in such a scenario, probably commit suicide. Just seems illogical for Ymir to be that psychotic that she would kill every last human just to preserve Crista.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-28, 17:03   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Why would Ymir be complicit in the extermination of humanity, leaving only the Titan hybrids + Crista? Crista would lose her sanity in such a scenario, probably commit suicide. Just seems illogical for Ymir to be that psychotic that she would kill every last human just to preserve Crista.
Christa definitely wouldn't be fine with the situation, but in Ymir's eyes, all that matters is that she survives. She and Reiner seem to agree the extermination of the people inside the wall is inevitable. The problem is that Ymir is rather narrow minded and doesn't get Christa's way of thinking. Before she met Christa, all that mattered to Ymir was her own survival, her goal has now changed to ensuring Christa survives. She thinks surviving is all that matters.
Old 2017-05-28, 17:05   Link #7
ArrowSmith

Surviving is ALL that matters with one caveat. I would never subscribe to be part of exterminating literally all of humanity to be the last 2 people on Earth. What would be the point? I guess one has to live in an apocalyptic environment like the world of AOT to get that desperate.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-28, 20:02   Link #8
Jaden

This kinda episode is a bit frustrating in AoT, people talked for the whole time but said very little. I know it's how this show has always been, giving very little information to go on. But in that case, why even have episodes that are supposedly all about exposure?
Old 2017-05-28, 21:02   Link #9
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Really looking forward to the next couple episodes think there's 2 or 3 left. Curious how they're gonna handle the next season with the amount of dialogue that's going to be dished out.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-29, 09:39   Link #10
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Surviving is ALL that matters with one caveat. I would never subscribe to be part of exterminating literally all of humanity to be the last 2 people on Earth. What would be the point? I guess one has to live in an apocalyptic environment like the world of AOT to get that desperate.
Note Reiner's surprise at Ymir being able to read that can that nobody born inside the walls should know the script.

This indicates there is some form of civilization out there outside the walls. Annie had her dad train her at some point. Reiner kept repeating he wants to go back to his hometown or home country reinforces that.

Note Monkey Titan comment that He has never seen 3DMG technology before.

Also the implication ordinary humans can be turned to Titans and be somewhat controlled... That is potentially an army of millions. Sounds to me a denial of resources or cannon fodder.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2017-05-29 at 18:08.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-29, 17:37   Link #11
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I agree with was said above, I think the implication is that there is ANOTHER civilisation of humans, the one Reiner & co. are from. Potentially bigger than the one inside the Walls. For whatever reason, the sides aren't as obvious as they seem. These guys' actions must have some kind of motive behind it, and it seems to me they're fighting a war of sorts. They must be considering the people inside the walls civilian casualties - unfortunate, but acceptable. Which gives a hint about how massive their end game must be. Probably the fate of the entire planet is at stake.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-31, 13:12   Link #12
QS_Bilal
Gravemind

The episode turns out to be a detail oriented pause reflecting on the complexities of the lore; the real calm before the storm. We have a dialogue between Ymir and Reiner with occasional inputs from Bertolt and Eren's screams. There was also a fair amount of character exploration and development, which is much welcomed at this point.

Now, delving into the back-and-forth poker game, I think it played out smoothly and the camera work made the episode more than bearable. However, there were some irritating aspects to the episode, namely the poor rendering of Eren's amputated arms and the underwhelming presentation of emotion. Take for example the brief shouting match between Reiner and Eren.. the voice acting was terrible at times and the animation subpar, especially for a show like SnK. My guess is they allocated their time resources more to possible upcoming action scenes, which given the choice, I'd say OK but rlly, it feels the budget/resource limitations should have been more flexible.

Anyway, it seems the Ape Titan (not sure if he is a shifter) is related to this mess. Reiner & Co are at-least familiar with it/him. He may have been the catalyst for Reiner losing it and jump-start the Eren kidnapping mission now that I think about it. The monkey titan may be a field commander of sorts or maybe something more sinister.

Ymir is getting so much screen time; I didn't even know her in S1. She is unique to stay the least; her awkward motivations puzzle even herself.. From the opening scenes, she remains calm when dealing with Reiner and Bertolt, pruning as much information as possible. What took me back a bit was her disconnect from Reiner and Bertolt. She is clearly not even on similar mission as them and all indicators point towards a chance coming together. Although those observations should have been made clear from Castle Utgard, I was willing to concede the benefit of doubt to her being on a some undercover activity. Overall, it is fortunate she is there as we learned quite a bit about the infiltrators and hints at a grander backdrop.

Eren is actually mentally unstable at the moment. He cannot take anything contrary to his idealized reality. If he were not the protagonist, he would definitely have died in Trost and given the show a Claymore vibe (I actually thought it were going to happen). He absolutely is unable to take stock of a situation or contemplate a plan.. I actually went wtf when he bit himself. Attempting to transform with both limbs amputated while in titan invested territory at a momentary impulse is insane. He needs to understand the inordinate amount of responsibility placed upon his shoulders and that he does not have the privilege to run amok. The show is shounen-esk in regards to Eren and I fear that won't be changing. It is a mixed bag though; his initial reactions and later mental composure when fighting Reiner two episodes back showed progress in character development but now he looks to have regressed back to his childhood self. Regardless, Ymir is able to calm him down and rationalize that the present situation is rather precarious and he does not have much of a choice but wait and listen. Although it is still regrettable that Ymir may have looked at his sorry state and factored that into her jumping ship.

And now, concluding with the incredible Reiner.. amazing plot twist and creative writing. So technically, the Reiner we know and love is still here just that hes a full blown split side for the real him to cope with the murderous things alpha reiner has done. I do wonder if Eren would be like him if he were in Reiner's boots. Regardless, Eren understandably goes 'wtf' when Reiner seemingly plays victim and, I think, weep. It is a bit surreal. Meanwhile, Bertolt seems to be haunted and on autopilot. It does look like he has given up hope and is just going through the motions. There is much bigger picture to this. I am willing to bet these two were forcefully sent out from their 'hometowns' to infiltrate the Walls for reconnaissance with their family/village being held hostage. Their body language is just all wrong.

Comments:

Ymir is likely making a rational choice in the grand scheme of things. Her goal is to protect her own skin and that of Christa's. I think there are large, proper human settlements outside the Walls and they are better protected, somehow. The situation the inhabitants of the Walls face is likely an extreme one set to get much worse and these folks seem to know what is coming. I do think Titans are concentrated around are Wall Rose territory and there is likely a secrete passage to get out of the surrounding no-mans land. We may have seen it in Ymir's earlier flashback; the one with the snowy mountain-tops. It would explain the survey corps not ever being able to venture out far or explore anything note-worthy, i.e. finding Reiner's hometown.
QS_Bilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-28, 23:44   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Opening

The exchange between Reiner and Eren became too tense as emotions were sorted out like a locomotive running out of control. It's just too bad that Eren ruined the suspense with his usual bursting out in screams. Furthermore, not all the world is like Eren thinking about charging head on to deal the most damage possible. For example, Ymir had to think and worry for Christa's safety that taking Reiner's offer wasn't much of a stretch, unlike, pinning her hopes on Eren in clear predicament.

Basically, this episode was a crossroads for Eren, Ymir, Berthold, and Reiner, and not too much options were laid open out for the former two in whatever hopes they were formulating for a escape plan. Reiner and Berthold don't have it easy as well particularly coping with the results and consequences of their actions for the sake of carrying the mission in the name of whatever authority rules over them, maybe the Beast Titan.

Nevertheless, what's clear that even after all that trauma from destroying the walls resulting in the deaths of ten thousands of innocents to listening to their former peers tales of loss and survival Reiner is trying to force himself that everything should be fine with his personality switching and memory lapses; don't act like a kid, but instead look at your work without averting eyes.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote