AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-08-14, 09:21   Link #1
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Reading an article about Type Moon present in Comicket 92 on ANN makes me want to ask this question: How can a company set up a mega-successful franchise?

If you look at the west, especially the cinematic scene, you would see that having a single good film/novel/game/etc is not enough anymore. And the usually totted approach of the MCU has been shown not to be always successful to other works (the most recent example is the Mummy film.) I think it is about time we ask this question, not just to anime and game, but to the entire narrative-centered entertainment industry.

I want to start with pointing out a problem horror franchises (and some anime like Slayers) usually make: over-reliance on established characters. Sure, interested characters is what make or break individual horror flicks, not just the whole franchise. But if you look at iconic characters such as Freddy Krueger, Mike Myers, and Jason Voorhees, you can see that they have been used to death without any new things about them after the first movie. All the while the new characters in the movies are reduced to target practices. Sooner or later people would have been tired of the same old character and not bringing in memorable new blood.

(Jason and Friday the 13th is a particular sour note to me. The idea of a copycat killer in A New Beginning is kind of cool, but no, they had to resurrect Jason.)

Last edited by LKK; 2017-08-14 at 12:35. Reason: posts merged. don't post multiple times in a row. edit instead.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 09:59   Link #2
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Media mix is the key (and has been for the past ~20 years) for a successful mega-franchise in Japan.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 11:31   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nodame Cantabile is one of the most successful franchises I know of with an original manga, an anime adaptation plus sequels, a live-action television adaptation, and two full-length feature movies. I bet you were not thinking of shows like Nodame when you posted this, but it just goes to show that many different kinds of stories can lend themselves to franchising.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 12:36   Link #4
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Reading an article about Type Moon present in Comicket 92 on ANN makes me want to ask this question: How can a company set up a mega-successful franchise?

If you look at the west, especially the cinematic scene, you would see that having a single good film/novel/game/etc is not enough anymore. And the usually totted approach of the MCU has been shown not to be always successful to other works (the most recent example is the Mummy film.) I think it is about time we ask this question, not just to anime and game, but to the entire narrative-centered entertainment industry.
Spoiler for simple answer:

Basically it's not something that be done intentionally right from the bat, and actually it never was. Creators have to hit jackpot and make mega successful piece of work. Then they have to do at least another two. After that you either have franchise or not.
Old 2017-08-14, 13:40   Link #5
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Basically it's not something that be done intentionally right from the bat, and actually it never was.
I somewhat disagree. While many now successful franchises were surprise hits originally created by a single person or a small group of people (like Harry Potter or the mentioned Fate franchise), many other mega-franchises were calculated efforts and have a lot to do with clever marketing and knowledge about the target audience.

That's what most of the idol shows are about. Or all those monster hunting/collecting/adventuring shows. Or those TCG anime. All part of a calculated, big network of different media (anime, manga, movies, video games, music, idol groups, live events, merchandise) that are created to cross-promote one another. Of course not every idol show can be another Love Live and not every TCG show can be another Yu-Gi-Oh! in terms of success, but many of these modern media mix projects have not grown "naturally", but were calculated efforts from the get-go.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 14:44   Link #6
bakato

Something original?
Old 2017-08-15, 15:19   Link #7
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki. View Post
I somewhat disagree. While many now successful franchises were surprise hits originally created by a single person or a small group of people (like Harry Potter or the mentioned Fate franchise), many other mega-franchises were calculated efforts and have a lot to do with clever marketing and knowledge about the target audience.

That's what most of the idol shows are about. Or all those monster hunting/collecting/adventuring shows. Or those TCG anime. All part of a calculated, big network of different media (anime, manga, movies, video games, music, idol groups, live events, merchandise) that are created to cross-promote one another. Of course not every idol show can be another Love Live and not every TCG show can be another Yu-Gi-Oh! in terms of success, but many of these modern media mix projects have not grown "naturally", but were calculated efforts from the get-go.
Hmm. I really don't know about that. Idolm@aster was unexpected stroke of luck. In comparison Love Live! which indeed was made artificially and supported by crossmedia lobbing is barelly catching up. For Yu-Gi-Oh it took two years from manga to anime and actual game wasn't thing until first anime became huge hit. It was also matter of chance. I don't think there is even need speak about Pokemon.
Old 2017-08-16, 20:49   Link #8
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I heard the staff of Production I.G had this aim with Psycho-Pass as they even thought of liveactions. While many people dislike season 2, the franchise has had novels, Kogami's prequel, the film, and a video game. I guess a third season could focus on a new character rather than Akane.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-17, 04:43   Link #9
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Here formula to make successful franchise:
1.Original
2.Innovation
3.Promotion
4.Luck

Being original, being creative, and promote yours idea is not enough there are lot people does that today but only 1: 1000 able to gain success being mega franchise.

I think back in late 20th century are the age where anybody could produced a successful mega franchise with pure original and innovation.
Just look at Digimon, Pokemon, Street fighter, Megaman and etc because them are the faces that to be known for first time then them able to spawn a franchise in future.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 15:25   Link #10
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
I heard the staff of Production I.G had this aim with Psycho-Pass as they even thought of liveactions. While many people dislike season 2, the franchise has had novels, Kogami's prequel, the film, and a video game. I guess a third season could focus on a new character rather than Akane.
It's true. Production IG was specifically tasked with creating a hit, original intellectual sci-fi property.
Old 2017-08-18, 16:25   Link #11
Tenzen12

I wonder if it really count as spin off. I mean yes it has several works related to it, but these seem more like supplements to main story than something that is supposed be equal or even related yet independent on it. at least for me Franchise is more of Relay race where new products are supposed prolong and revitalise life spam of franchise rather than just "get as much money of it as possible, before it's popularity wane.
Old 2017-08-18, 21:34   Link #12
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
(Successful 1st Entry^(bottled lightning)) * (3^(fagging power)) - (deviatation creativity + formula) ≥ Total Expenditure = Franchise
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote