2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-28, 13:03   Link #221
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
We can't "forget all of that altogether". The fact that these are living, breathing people, and not just game constructs, is exactly the reason why he is unable to throw away his life or those of others.
I meant the analogy itself.
Old 2016-07-28, 16:28   Link #222
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

On the subject of the hands:

When was the last time that Subaru managed to talk about his situation--deliberately, unintelligibly, or obliquely--without the hands stopping him?

In the first arc, Subaru managed to drop incoherent lines about coming from another world and dying.
In the second arc and beginning of the third arc when Subaru tried to tell others about his situation, the hands stopped him.
Now, when Subaru tried to tell Emilia about his situation, the hands killed Emilia.

We have thus far assumed this is because the hands react differently depending on the likelihood of someone understanding and how far Subaru would go to supply information. In other words, Subaru could drop incoherent lines, because no one would understand him. But he cannot tell someone about his situation. And if he tries to brave through the ordeal of the terror of the hands, the hands would kill the would be listener rather than frighten Subaru.

But perhaps there is another explanation? What if the progression we have seen is not the result of different reaction to external stimuli? Would Rem really have understood him if he started talking about his situation while being chased by the dogs in the forest? What if the reason we see this progression is because as the witch's power grows stronger about Subaru, the hands get more powerful and can affect more things?

In other words, Subaru would talk about his situation at first because the hands were not yet strong enough to stop him. Then, after dying a number of times, the hands grew strong enough to strike fear into him. And now, they are strong enough to kill others around him.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 16:36   Link #223
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'd argue that ramblings that no one can ever take seriously don't really count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I meant the analogy itself.
But then you'd also have to abandon your argument as to why it's strange that he's not killing himself.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 16:40   Link #224
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
But then you'd also have to abandon your argument as to why it's strange that he's not killing himself.
The analogy was to illustrate that killing yourself midway is not giving up. As for why I found it strange he didn't kill himself, that one was resolved with my conversation with Triple R.
Old 2016-07-28, 16:45   Link #225
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
On the subject of the hands:

When was the last time that Subaru managed to talk about his situation--deliberately, unintelligibly, or obliquely--without the hands stopping him?

In the first arc, Subaru managed to drop incoherent lines about coming from another world and dying.
In the second arc and beginning of the third arc when Subaru tried to tell others about his situation, the hands stopped him.
Now, when Subaru tried to tell Emilia about his situation, the hands killed Emilia.

We have thus far assumed this is because the hands react differently depending on the likelihood of someone understanding and how far Subaru would go to supply information. In other words, Subaru could drop incoherent lines, because no one would understand him. But he cannot tell someone about his situation. And if he tries to brave through the ordeal of the terror of the hands, the hands would kill the would be listener rather than frighten Subaru.

But perhaps there is another explanation? What if the progression we have seen is not the result of different reaction to external stimuli? Would Rem really have understood him if he started talking about his situation while being chased by the dogs in the forest? What if the reason we see this progression is because as the witch's power grows stronger about Subaru, the hands get more powerful and can affect more things?

In other words, Subaru would talk about his situation at first because the hands were not yet strong enough to stop him. Then, after dying a number of times, the hands grew strong enough to strike fear into him. And now, they are strong enough to kill others around him.
The hands don't care whether anyone knows he came from another world. They care about him spilling the beans on his loop ability.
Old 2016-07-28, 17:33   Link #226
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I'd argue that ramblings that no one can ever take seriously don't really count.
Personally I like where Incest Emblem is going with this.

@Incest Emblem

One thing I've been wondering is just what is the extend of things he can't say. Unfortunately even though he's shown he doesn't really mind tricking the hands to come out with the forest stunt, he's never really tried experimenting with the limitations. "I am from another world" isn't even that relevant; it's nothing more then "look at me I'm special." He could just say "I come from the future" "I am from future" "I have seen you die"

Heck in arc 2 he more or less solved the case because he told them outright both that he was cursed and that the village kids are in trouble. Kind of the same in arc 1 as I remember.
Old 2016-07-28, 19:12   Link #227
Applehell

^But a Curse in Re:Zero is a vey specific termology assoicated which a branch magic whose main trait is that it will kill you once activated. So saying that would just make people suspicious on why he's still alive. They also people like Puck and Betty who can detect them too and will catch his lie. So lying like that wouldn't do him any good in the long run.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-07-28 at 19:24.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 22:43   Link #228
Cicili

Subaru can freely talk about that he comes from the other world. People in Luginica already know that people do come from the other world sometimes, although people who say that are usually regarded as crazy anyway.

Cut-out stuff in the Light Novel not shown in anime up to episode 17:

1.Subaru already mentioned to Priscilla he's from the other world

2.Certain character who has already appeared already said he/she is from other world

3.The "Hoshin" from Anastasia Hoshin is not her true family name. She took up the family name and named her company Hoshin because Hoshin is the name of the founder of the country Kararagi. And according to legend/history, the real Hoshin is somebody from another world.
Cicili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-29, 00:42   Link #229
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
That would open the door to Beako also being from another world, with the things she said to Subaru in this last loop...
Old 2016-07-29, 12:49   Link #230
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
^But a Curse in Re:Zero is a vey specific termology assoicated which a branch magic whose main trait is that it will kill you once activated. So saying that would just make people suspicious on why he's still alive. They also people like Puck and Betty who can detect them too and will catch his lie. So lying like that wouldn't do him any good in the long run.
What do you mean by "lie."

I'm saying he can say a lot of helpful things with out technically lieing at all.
The mobile lie detectors in the series (Crush included) are gonna help him gain credibility.

The only issue is trust. He has to avoid sounding crazy, which appears to be hard even when he was still in loop 0.
Old 2016-07-29, 16:48   Link #231
Kakurin
大佐

Spoiler for Episode 18 Preview:

Megumin has hijacked the preview of episode 18. Explosion!
Old 2016-07-29, 16:59   Link #232
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

EXPLOSION!!

Spoiler for ep18:
Old 2016-07-29, 17:39   Link #233
Wandering Soul

I would be oddly okay with Emilia doing that impression for the rest of the season. EXPLOSION!

Like how there are two layers to the joke.

Spoiler for translation of the preview:
Old 2016-07-30, 00:24   Link #234
SeaDoor

It would be alright with me if someone would explain the two layers to the joke. Please.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 00:56   Link #235
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
It would be alright with me if someone would explain the two layers to the joke. Please.
A seiyū joke. Takahashi Rie who voices Emilia has voiced Megumin in Konosuba last season. So here in the PV we have Emilia acting as Megumin with her signature "EXPLOSION!" (though cut off by Subaru) at the end. Here's a website with her explosions:

http://megum.in/

Old 2016-07-30, 11:21   Link #236
larethian

Was relatively busy this week and forgot about this week's radio again. My brain is trembling.
Spoilers
Spoiler for radio ep 18
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 21:15   Link #237
DemonneoPT

Ahah!! I miss so much those explosions
I really have to say but Emilia/Megumin's Seiyuu has one of the most prettiest voices i ever heard! Loved the joke in the preview. Can't wait for the next episode. Puck going mad!!!
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 05:23   Link #238
FateAnomaly

I laughed and felt satisfaction when Otto kicked Subaru out of the carriage.

It is kinda weird that Subaru as a hikkomori is kinda slow on the workings of cliche monster ability like that whale erasing people from existence after it eats them.

So now he also has the ability to kill anyone he wants. All he have to do is to tell them his secret.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 07:21   Link #239
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, the reason we can easily deduce the whale's powers is because it's a fictional universe and therefore we know it's not real. From Subaru's perspective, everything that's happening is all too real. Not to mention he is not in a position where he can just take the time to think of anything other than how to not die.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 08:19   Link #240
Peanutbutter

Finally jumped on this train after witnessing all the chattering on it. Binged all current episodes in the last 3 days.

If there ever was a series where I sighed at the behavior of the MC, this has to be it. In the first 2 arcs, MC was watchable though a bit too loud and "seinen-hero" too much. In this current arc, he really epitomizes the "me, me and me" mindset that is in a lot of people these days (and I find it refreshing yet frustrating to watch).

Rem doesn't deserve this piece of crap AT ALL. Neither does Emilia. Being so "savvy" about RPG tropes at the start, and yet doesn't reflect and realise what your actions and words bring, it takes a lot to go through his antics.

Seeing Rem in the Ep 18 preview warms my heart, but I guess the suffering continues till the end. All I want is a decent and happy end.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote