3 out of 10 : Bad 3 5.66%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-06-24, 02:40   Link #21
DragoMuseveni
True Dragon

Animation Quality: 7
TNK budget being sucked away by they own failures influenced dxd as well ... especially animating some scenes ( come on Great Red doesn`t move a damn inch)
Voice Actors: 10
I love them especially when i found out that Sairaorg voice is voiced by the same voice actor as Greed from FMA Brotherhood.
Script: 7
First 9 episodes i liked them even with the changes but the original content from the last three episodes almost ruined everything . I knowthat the last 3 ones were supposed to make things a more harder for ise and rias at a certain point in the net seasons , but come one , last three episodes felt like fillers .
Anyway Juggernaut Drive (both) made the whole season good . I wished a bit more of Tannin-sama training....
Soundtrack: 9
The soundtrack in Juggernaut Drive wasn`t so creepy as it was supposed to be , that i felt
Enjoyment: 10
Still even with the changes i enjoyed this season as anime viewer . Unfortunately , because of the budget , it lacked some more frames

Overall 8.4/10
Old 2015-06-24, 11:33   Link #22
RustyZombie

As good as the two previous seasons were, I did not expect BorN to surpass them. Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised and greatly look forward to season 4.
RustyZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-04, 08:11   Link #23
ayanami0000
Banned

Its quite disappointing on the last few episodes .
ayanami0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 15:01   Link #24
InMyOwnMind

Honestly a horrible season In my opinion. They tore apart the Sitri Rating game diminishing the worth of Sona's peerage and taking away Saji's one big opportunity to shine. They instead substitute it with a really trashy rendition of the Loki fight which was frankly just boring to watch, coupled with annoyance because I know how good it could have been if it followed the novel. I won't even begin on how illogical they the fight set up was in the first place. Then they rushed the Diodora fight and all to cram in three episodes of outright trash that's founded on Rias being completely out of character.

They should have junked the last three episodes and just used to time to make the three chosen volumes into quality material. Hell even if was only two of the volume stories and some of the extra volume stories added then it still would have been better than what they gave us.
InMyOwnMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-05, 19:08   Link #25
Malicre

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMyOwnMind View Post
Then they rushed the Diodora fight and all to cram in three episodes of outright trash that's founded on Rias being completely out of character.

Bravo, couldn't have said it better myself.
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 04:55   Link #26
ayanami0000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMyOwnMind View Post
Honestly a horrible season In my opinion. They tore apart the Sitri Rating game diminishing the worth of Sona's peerage and taking away Saji's one big opportunity to shine. They instead substitute it with a really trashy rendition of the Loki fight which was frankly just boring to watch, coupled with annoyance because I know how good it could have been if it followed the novel. I won't even begin on how illogical they the fight set up was in the first place. Then they rushed the Diodora fight and all to cram in three episodes of outright trash that's founded on Rias being completely out of character.

They should have junked the last three episodes and just used to time to make the three chosen volumes into quality material. Hell even if was only two of the volume stories and some of the extra volume stories added then it still would have been better than what they gave us.
Must agreed to this one .
ayanami0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 14:52   Link #27
I Was Just Drifting
So Where Were We?

Late into High School DxD BorN, a heroine, abandoned by a master who couldn't care less, finds pathetic solace in vacuum cleaning a house while awaiting word that she may come back home. In earlier episodes, we observe that she is quite capable of flight and lasers, yet none of these matter to her until she is forgiven for her wrongs. When her master comes calling, she gets not a welcome, but a warning; the people in the house, the ones who truly care for her, are in terrible danger.

Taken at face value, as an adaptation based on Ichiei Ishibumi's light novel series, the third season of High School DxD is an incoherent mess. Cameos aimed at the legion of readers (Look, there's Sairaorg! And OMG Shalba!) are blips trying to gnaw at my attention, the villains are just flies waiting to be torpedoed, and Tetsuya Yanagisawa thinks rattling frames to epileptic effect is how you direct action sequences. But taken as an allegory about alienation, repression, reconciliation and empowerment, High School DxD BorN, like its predecessors, is pulp anime with a soul, perceived primarily for its fanservice-loaded exterior when its insides linger of art, ambiguous and absorbing. It is also the most bittersweet and most menacing of the franchise, chock full to the brink with monsters ugly to beautiful, none more self-defining than a behemoth whose body grows too large, too alive for its armor to properly enclose it. BorN is, similarly, a bizarre aberration of storytelling, amassing familiar narrative elements but refusing to gel smoothly with any of them. Its ending refreshingly anticlimactic, BorN takes its chances by dabbling its heroes into their endgame, if not to prevent it, then at least to delay it for a little while longer.

Self-identity has always given the DxD trilogy its vital dramatic core; it's what Ishibumi's novels hold greatest appeal to me, this constant search by its heroes to find their purpose and place as the freaks and geeks of the supernatural realm. In the original High School DxD, Issei Hyodou had to come to terms with his devil/dragon rebirth before he could save Asia and Rias from becoming objects of conquest (the former to sacrifice, the latter to marriage). In High School DxD NEW, Asia, Zenovia and Irina ultimately found forgiveness and friendship in spite of the terrible secrets which brought to question their faith in God. And so it is in High School DxD BorN that Rias Gremory, Issei and the Occult Research Club face the onset of the apocalypse (Ragnarok as referred here) and prevent its fruition by essentially trying not to be the cause of it!

We are introduced to this reality the moment the dragon Tannim busts Koneko wide open. It turns out to be just a training session, as Tannim reveals that he's been holding his strength back all along, but Koneko never blames him because she is guilty of holding back herself. Or consider when Akeno, unable to reconcile with her father, throws herself at Issei's bedside and risks reducing our main hero into an outlet for her Elektra complex. Each of the ORC's members finds all kinds of ways to express their purpose, to prove they can rise above the specters of discrimination or loneliness, and carve a little place for themselves. Note when Irina shows off a new pair of wings after being warned of her vulnerability during battle, or when Zenovia continues to resolve God's absence in her world by trying to beget the strongest child possible with Issei.

And then of course, there are Issei and Rias. Fans will complain that BorN's closing episodes focus strictly on its top two characters, leaving the rest to rarely find time to bare their breasts. But even more controversially, the third season nearly becomes the franchise's iconoclast by adding further wrinkles to the personalities of Issei and Rias, going so far as to even punish them when their rage and desires (the latter directed to each other) put the lives of everybody else in jeopardy. If this deviates significantly from Ishibumi's novels, then Ishibumi deserves some share of the blame, because he sets up Issei and Rias as these emotional pillars from which Asia, Akeno, Yuuto and the rest deeply look up to, yet he finds little opportunity to mine the weaknesses possible from such a relationship. Still, knowing Ishibumi has a say in Takao Yoshioka's script suggests the author, better late than never, is a much more careful and smarter revisionist than his fellow light novelists (or that Star Wars guy), because he knows this series is about these gods among us whose Mt. Olympus (and most genuine sanctuary) is their high school. Issei becomes vengeance incarnate when he believes a past failure has repeated itself, and needs to be reminded that the angel on his shoulder is at risk of falling victim at his hands. Meanwhile, Rias reveals pangs of jealousy and exhaustion as her responsibilities and leadership weigh heavily on her shoulders, and threatens Issei not by choosing subjugation (as in the first season) but rather assimilation, the details of which I can not give away. Suffice to say that Rias has grown bored of the foreplay and wants her virginity dealt with (the Gremory family's encouragement of monogamy early on only worsens the problem). I like how of all these conflicting emotions come with exploding roofs, fiery transformations and a wellspring of angry tears, and I like how, even when it's addressed that Rias and Issei are being influenced by a malevolent power, that the presence of said power wouldn't have made much of a difference.

DxD BorN's most obvious weaknesses are baldy admitted here; of the multitude of villains, not a one is worthy of a final confrontation. Loki, the best villain by virtue of earning more screen time than anyone else, spends most of his minutes spouting Ragnarok than really lifting his fists. Other villains get blown away to dust just when they reach what's-his-name status, at least for DxD's non-readers (though some care and attention are given to the designs; witness how a slant-eyed fellow betrays his face through his glare). Their motivations range from peace-hating to women-hating; at least hate is a compelling thing for our heroes to fight. The animation suffers in turn too; the action sequences don't provide any back and forth coordination, though this hardly matters with the heroes being focused as their own worst enemies. Then again, the DxD series never seriously cares much for its villains; Reynare is killed after the first five episodes, and the most compelling antagonist in NEW appears only during the OVA, when he transforms into the world's largest lingerie set (I am not kidding, I swear).

Faring better because his villainy functions without oppression or wealth, Vali makes a decent impression on us for protecting Issei, if only to ensure the latter's ass-whipping belongs to him and him alone. His sexuality here also underlines his own identity as an outcast; constantly flanked by the handsome Arthur and Bikou, Vali seems one man short of classic mythology's Village People. His teammate Kuroka, who will go down as the most under-exposed female in DxD's history (at least until home video exclusives come out), is an outcast entirely of her fault. Her advances to both Vali and Issei prove fruitless because one confides himself with powerful, battle-ready men and the other with bright, respectful women, including the little sister she left behind. She is a whore without a country.

The High School DxD trilogy represents an accomplished feat for a team of animators and a novelist who see the wonder and joy, the darkness and hope inherent in its legion of heroes. Find in each season a group of friends capable of being one another's salvation and ruin, and see why Issei, Rias and their teammates can embed in us a mystique, a warmth, that can be as immortal as they are.
I Was Just Drifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 00:27   Link #28
Archilla

Holy shit man.

Well said.

/thread
Archilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 06:08   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

For all of I Was Just Drifting's balanced impressions of BorN, reading the source remains a superior option. Besides, BorN is supposed to be focused on action more than the two previous seasons and seeing that aspect poorly depicted would be a disservice to Ishibumi's vision.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-23, 13:28   Link #30
CrisGer-San
Anime Production

I can only assume the sad occurence of staff wanting to make a significant impression on a very successful series happened again. For whatever reason one of the best and most well balanced ecchi series in a while collapsed into a mess and some of the best character opportunities were completely thrown away, such as how they treated Rossweisse. I was frankly horrified at how bad this became. I am sure there will be a series 4 and i sure hope they can recapture the magic of season 1. If not, it wil die the same death as Maken-Ki! which also descended into Oppai hell in the second season. It is sad to see a successful series destroyed by mis handling and poor direction but it is not uncommon.
CrisGer-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-24, 23:17   Link #31
kartokardos

Hi I'm new here this season was very interesting but I'd like to ask something I don't have read manga yet so we have till volume 20 resourses? Or there are more? Also know a lot o things could not hold myself and read from wiki :-)
kartokardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-11, 18:46   Link #32
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Farewell forever to HighSchool DxD

As of writing, I'm properly delivering my last thoughts for all the shows I watched from Spring to Summer.

I was done with High School DxD as the first concluded series from Spring back when Summer was going full force.

Yes, I'm honest that for me season three managed to become a vast improvement from season two. However, I need to be honest that going episode after episode annoyance and contempt built upon me slowly and steadily.

And, I'm giving you the reasons I felt myself uncomfortable with the third season, in spite of, granting it good scores:

1. Too much "oppai" service and jokes as the show became more serious. The intent of seinen comedies is to offer much needed service, but they still have time invested upon exploring the characters and their problems.

The issue is that the writers were like trying to offer more service to continue appealing their target audience, but at the same time raising the levels of seriousness.

Now, take for example another show done by the same studio, Daimidaler. That show also offers "oppai" service and getting aroused is the main point selling in order to operate the robots.
In Daimidaler's case, I'm not complaining anything about it, because that show never took itself seriously. The service and gags made me to lmao and were welcomed, and particularly the antagonist Pengüins which were creepy, yet ludicrously funny.

2. Just too much Issei and Rias splattered on our faces for the majority of the season. I know for sure I read on this section many fans contempt that season three literally trimmed or tone down content from the light novel material.

While I'm only an anime-watcher, pretty sure the content that did not make it into this adaptation dealt with more pressing issues and gave much needed scope to the other supporting characters.

Yes, we want for Issei to finally muster courage in order to kiss and confess to the Prez, but it isn't that the show itself would go downhill if they can give a rest for those two characters, at least, an episode of absence; they still can continue offering service.

3. The show becoming repetitive and redundant. The combination of service with shounen battle elements not only did I welcome it but also became a surprise factor to me back when I started the franchise with the first season.

To me the first season had that element of surprise and freshness, but after that the gags and service lost their fresh and luster, as they were no longer anything new from season two and onwards.

4. Issei annoying. I have to understand that after all this is a seinen comedy at its core no matter what, and the protagonist is crazed for boobs and for eros all the time, since his biological clock is constantly kicking-in at sound situations.

Nevertheless, Issei broke through the limits of my patience as a character with the seasons' last episode performing his "Oppai" song, and that alone became enough for me to write him down in my black list for most annoying and idiotic characters ever.

5. My expectations were misplaced. I need to be awared that anyone who reads this and happens to be decently knowledgeable in terms of the light novels and the show in general will inform me that if my expectations were such for Highschool DxD and its characters then were wrong, since the series itself delivers something completely different for the audience that is intended to.
If that's the case, then I apologize beforehand, and still I'm grateful for having remained civil watching through all of season three and not making a ruckus about it.

In conclusion, having come to terms with what I found faulty and dislikeable after watching season three, then I can calmly walk away from this franchise; I'm not intending to be a completist of any sorts. Hence, I don't plan to come across with a fourth season if ever materializes.

Up to here I reached my limits, and I'm saying goodbye to Highschool DxD but not before expressing I got good moments and fun times watching the first season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-12, 00:36   Link #33
Poodicus
The One and Only

Actually, Highschool DxD is shounen, not seinen, thus the repetitiveness of it sometimes.
Poodicus is offline   Reply With Quote