AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index LN - New Testament Volume 11 Rating
Perfect 10 47 44.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.95%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.95%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-12-26, 12:20   Link #3001
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

while waiting for NT 12, you should read the SS volumes. there are no chronologies to them.
Old 2014-12-26, 12:25   Link #3002
Fizix
Nitpicking

Out of curiosity, are they actually important or are they just volumes made for fans who want some more stuff to read? Thats what I assumed they are, as opposed to true canon stuff that has plot relevance.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 12:28   Link #3003
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

I would say its more of a background story for the side characters. everything that Kamachi writes is canon. :P unless its some random author doing a spin-off that wasn't endorsed by Kamachi-sensei.
Old 2014-12-26, 12:39   Link #3004
Fizix
Nitpicking

Canon was the wrong word really, hence why I said "true canon", it was the best word I could find as I didn't want to say fan service as that comes with certain connotations even if its strictly true.
Old 2014-12-26, 12:41   Link #3005
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Just read the SS Volumes, you'll understand that they are in fact canon. just like the Movie is canon. It's just that simple.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 12:43   Link #3006
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

^ agrees, it doesn't matter if ppl say it has nothing to do with the plot, its still canon or true canon as long as Kamachi-sensei wrote it.
Old 2014-12-26, 13:27   Link #3007
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizix View Post
Out of curiosity, are they actually important or are they just volumes made for fans who want some more stuff to read? Thats what I assumed they are, as opposed to true canon stuff that has plot relevance.
you will not miss anything important if you dont read them...

but i highly recommend them, kanzaki SS is good but short, i could read a few volumes about her and styils SS is slightly above average, but in both of them birdway shows up before turning into brocon-blabla

kanzakis fights are really interesting + the whole stuff that happens is magic side adventures: we finally get some magic side fights i liked them
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 13:28   Link #3008
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Well some of them are more important than others. Kanzaki SS introduced Brunhild and gave her back-story and motivations. Meanwhile there's the Mars chapter in volume SP which is very surreal and didn't feel too canon TBH.
Old 2014-12-26, 13:55   Link #3009
Fizix
Nitpicking

Thanks, I'll check them out then
Old 2014-12-26, 14:12   Link #3010
Kamijou_Touma
Imagine Breaker

lol tbhf its like i said before, some of the SSes don't feel canon, just like the movie didn't feel like it was canon, but the fact that it was written by Kamachi or his staff, its canon either way.
Old 2014-12-26, 14:15   Link #3011
Fizix
Nitpicking

I understand, canon wasn't the right word, I meant outside of the main plot.
Old 2014-12-27, 15:04   Link #3012
SilverTalon

Quote:
I understand, canon wasn't the right word, I meant outside of the main plot.
If by main plot you mean main novels, then they are relevant. If you mean whether or not they will advance the on going main plot lines like Aliester's goals and such, then no, but not all the main volumes do that either. Kanzaki's introduced Brunhild and Gungir both of which come into play for Othinus's arc. The railgun SSs introduced the collaborating cities and how AC has no intention of just letting them leave (in one piece anyway) which comes back up in NT4. They're at least as relevant as NT11 is to any kind of on going main plot as all NT11 really contributed was the introduction of doggy-chan (who is probably going to be important, but so was Gungir).
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 16:15   Link #3013
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
They're at least as relevant as NT11 is to any kind of on going main plot as all NT11 really contributed was the introduction of doggy-chan (who is probably going to be important, but so was Gungir).
sad, but mostlikely this will happen to him :/
Old 2014-12-27, 17:53   Link #3014
dazo
english for dummies 2 ed.

Quote:
Or Misaka and Misaki... Similar names; their rivalry is sexual frustration and Touma is the PITAS in the way. T'is true.

OK, I'm done with the festive induced sillyness now, maybe.

thank god. you were starting to worry me

Quote:
those book only help to increase the "universe" content by adding back-story/ spin-off stories ...

and to be honest...you can skip those book if you want ...because, the main book are going to explain the situation behind the characters anyway *less detailed, of course, but with enough info to give you a concrete idea*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
sad, but mostlikely this will happen to him :/
;-;
nah, i just want to see blood..
Old 2014-12-27, 19:45   Link #3015
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazo View Post

thank god. you were starting to worry me

those book only help to increase the "universe" content by adding back-story/ spin-off stories ...

and to be honest...you can skip those book if you want ...because, the main book are going to explain the situation behind the characters anyway *less detailed, of course, but with enough info to give you a concrete idea*

;-;
nah, i just want to see blood..

I like to call it "bullshipping", I may do silly things like this from time to time in order to amuse myself. You folk will have to just grin and bare it

The sad thing is that someone, somewhere will be obsessed with the random and ridiculous combinations I've come up with.
Old 2015-01-01, 21:42   Link #3016
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

You terrible people. Noukan will reign supreme.

Gungnir was an important plot point for the entirety of a major arc, so I'm not sure I agree that Gungnir wasn't important.

Furthermore, Noukan is the mastermind behind the Kiharas... anyone who thinks that he'll have a minor role is kidding themselves.

Just one Kihara is enough to be the main villain behind a whole spin-off manga. And we've had so many devastating Kihara-instigated incidents. I just find it hard to believe that the top Dog ( ) Kihara won't be far more of a threat than what we've already seen before.

Also, I really recommend the SS's. And I would like to say that the Movie is definitely Canon. It feels like there wasn't enough space for the Movie plot, but it is indeed the case that the 4 side-stories for it, help flush it out quite a bit. Furthermore, looking at how much Kamachi has been referring to it in recent volumes, it seems to me like indeed it'll be important sooner or later.

The SS's help with the world building, and they really actually help make sense of a lot of in-universe concepts that previously didn't make much sense (or nearly as much sense) to me as they did when I finished the SS's. They all provide a nice foundation for a lot of the different groups/individuals that you eventually read about in NT. And you start to see Kamachi's descriptions of their actions in sometimes a totally new light, so I strongly recommend them.

I personally don't think that Kamachi writes anything that isn't canon in some way. He's absurdly good at turning the most random little thing into an eventually important canon plot point. The only thing that I can think of that isn't canon that he has written for this series are his parodies of it (which are really hilarious if you haven't read them yet).

I assure you that the extra background content really improves your perspective of the setting. I.e. the information all matters somehow.

I also wanted to check: Are we getting more information on NT 12 in 9 days... or is that not happening for a while?

Finally, I think NT 11 wasn't just created to introduce Noukan. I think that 1/2 of the reason NT 11 was created was to introduce Noukan; however, I think that the other reason that NT 11 was created was to give Misaki more characterization and shed light on more of Touma's backstory and make his situation and character a little more complex.

Happy new year to all!

Edit: (I see more people on the forums now who also think that Index just bites Touma. I'll admit, I used to think that. Though, after carefully rereading the early volumes in OT, you realize that the anime really does a bad job at portraying how varied and plain good her character is.)

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-01, 22:10   Link #3017
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

I actually believe that with Mitsuari Ayu and her "sudden" return to what was supposedly Touma's failure to save her is either a consequence or reward of Othinus bring back the dead people in NT9, unintentionally of course. I hope you guys know where I'm going with this.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 18:19   Link #3018
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
I actually believe that with Mitsuari Ayu and her "sudden" return to what was supposedly Touma's failure to save her is either a consequence or reward of Othinus bring back the dead people in NT9, unintentionally of course. I hope you guys know where I'm going with this.
That would actually be interesting, now that you mention it. If that were the case, it would be fascinating if there are any other distortions to the world.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2015-01-02, 18:32   Link #3019
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
That would actually be interesting, now that you mention it. If that were the case, it would be fascinating if there are any other distortions to the world.
a small request:

can anyone tell me where it was stated that thhe world comes back "distorted"?

beause i remember that someone posted the exact part where that was "stated", i only want to know if it is explicity stated... afterall it isnt new for us to speculate (sometims a bit to much)
Old 2015-01-02, 19:28   Link #3020
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
a small request:

can anyone tell me where it was stated that thhe world comes back "distorted"?

beause i remember that someone posted the exact part where that was "stated", i only want to know if it is explicity stated... afterall it isnt new for us to speculate (sometims a bit to much)
I don't remember this ever being stated. I think it's just speculation. But it has a little support here and there. Though it may have been stated, I suppose.

Maybe it's lost in translation? Good point though.

Tags
backstory, flashbacks, jungian archetypes, shokuhou misaki