I'll take that hit.

It feels like one though.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:44   Link #202
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
I believe the deaths is to prove what a great threat titans are to humanity. Why they are forced to live inside walls and why they are on the verge of extinction. If people didn't die, then we would all question how they got themselves into that situation if titans were so easily taken care of. War is just conflict between 2 different groups. Whether it's between humans or 15m giants, it doesn't matter. And no matter what, you'll always have death in a war. It's impossible to go through war without losing a single man.
Deaths still have an effect. Maybe not from you, but it does for others. I'm sure Eren's group will survive with no problems. (armin, mikasa, jean, sasha, krista. reiner etc)
I don't know, I've always felt (since from the beginning) that there is no proportion between how many deaths/defeats the humans undergo and their actual status. For example, if the Recon Legion has been wildly unsuccessful as they suggest it has been for years, why does it still even exist? Someone suggested that outcasts/criminals may be sent to the Legion like it happens in Game of Thrones Night Watch. That may well be good, but nothing is said about it, and if it was the case, the average quality of soldiers in the Legion would probably be lower. On the other hand, if the Legion wasn't so bad at exploring and killing Titans (and the gap between the returning Legion we saw back in ep. 1 and the current one, with Erwin and Levi, seems immense), then a 30% mortality rate wouldn't make Erwin into a genius commander. Even here, I'm not complaining that Erwin made mistakes - he could have very well made some. But we're supposed to buy that he's a genius tactician, and he's not. He's just an average commander who ended up messing up badly as soon as the situation got a bit more complex than the usual. Napoleon, Caesar, Alexander weren't great because they could win battles where they had more soldiers and a better position than the enemies, but because they could turn the tables around when they were at a disadvantage.

Humanity has literally had 100 years to try throwing any kind of weapon from the top of the walls on the Titans below and see what could kill them or weaken them, yet the only thing they can do is try and go slice them on their backs. Why do they still load their cannons with cannonballs rather than shrapnel, for example, which would probably be more effective against the Titan's weak point? Or with explosive projectiles? Why don't they use ballistas? 100 years are a long time to develop weapons. But after 100 years of nearly total stagnation, suddenly we have a burst of advancement (this new titan-capturing weapon).

So it seems like everything happens for the sake of the drama, but it's a bit too transparent. I can't help but think that after 100 years humans would be either extinct, or better at fighting Titans than we see them being.

With regards to the current mission... Eren was unpredictable, they say - well, if he was their ultimate weapon, why didn't they train him better in controlling his Titan abilities before going out? Why dragging him along if he's only a dead weight? Being able to transform into a Titan is literally the only thing he can do, if you're too afraid to make use of it what's the point? And if they consider using his powers, how bad has the situation to become before they decide to? It's not like losing so many lives is somehow magically okay because it was all in the plan. Also, lives lost mean equipment lost, and transport and scouting capabilities. The whole scouting formation will be maimed. If they instead had used his powers it would have been very easy... Petra & co. blind the FT, Eren gives the coup de grace. The end. It's so simple that the only reason they couldn't have thought of it is that the writer wanted to kill more people to show us more drama. That's why I say it feels forced. It's not just a plot device, it's a blatant plot device.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 05:04   Link #203
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler for length:
A thousand times yes. As this series progresses the plot holes really start to come out to play from insufficient world building and an inability to, well, count.

The vast majority of their population has been killed off (by their own hands, mostly). They established early on that people do not respect or care for the Survey Corps, even now that the titans have attacked. Actually there hasn't been a whole lot of focus on the feelings of the population now that they've actually started telling the story instead of building their world (as an excuse to kill people because ratings, it seems). I will defend the author a bit in saying that this isn't entirely uncommon. A lot of authors seem to struggle with being consistent about these 'minor' details. Where it diverts from being that situation is when everyone is dying constantly, and you're left with no alternative but to ask where all of these developing side characters they love to kill off come from.

I fondly remember our first look at the Survey Corps, returning with a large number of their ranks killed, and their officers despairing. Then the titans attacked and I'm sure they lost yet more. Now here we are again, watching them get massacred yet again. We saw their recruitment pitch. They are not getting replacements compared to their losses. Especially since they had to have done additional operations in those years of training montage.
Quote:
Why don't they use ballistas? 100 years are a long time to develop weapons. But after 100 years of nearly total stagnation, suddenly we have a burst of advancement (this new titan-capturing weapon).
Honestly I never really thought about it. For some reason I assumed that the titans just didn't come around the cities until they were summoned by the human titans. It's a good question though, seeing as the titans are pretty attracted to humans. I would expect their walls to be constantly assaulted by the smaller titans and picked off like bugs. Yet they're treated as if they're a non-issue, as if they're just short of legends, by the time the series kicks off.
Quote:
So it seems like everything happens for the sake of the drama, but it's a bit too transparent. I can't help but think that after 100 years humans would be either extinct, or better at fighting Titans than we see them being.
The progression in ability is implied.

Yet there are so many people running around in the Survey Corps who can straight-up murderize armies of titans without even a little help. People like Mikasa, for instance, who apparently has a natural affinity for titan murder.

Humans, for being so bad at killing titans, are surprisingly good at killing titans. It's like all of the titan-killing skills went into a very select few individuals for no explicable reason!
Quote:
With regards to the current mission... Eren was unpredictable, they say - well, if he was their ultimate weapon, why didn't they train him better in controlling his Titan abilities before going out? Why dragging him along if he's only a dead weight? Being able to transform into a Titan is literally the only thing he can do, if you're too afraid to make use of it what's the point? And if they consider using his powers, how bad has the situation to become before they decide to? It's not like losing so many lives is somehow magically okay because it was all in the plan. Also, lives lost mean equipment lost, and transport and scouting capabilities. The whole scouting formation will be maimed. If they instead had used his powers it would have been very easy... Petra & co. blind the FT, Eren gives the coup de grace. The end. It's so simple that the only reason they couldn't have thought of it is that the writer wanted to kill more people to show us more drama. That's why I say it feels forced. It's not just a plot device, it's a blatant plot device.
This always bothered me. Everything about Eren in regards to this plan that was hatched was terrible to a fact. This desire for him to be withheld as an asset is senseless. The only reasoning I've seen, if I'm even recalling correctly, is that is might be bad for his health. The kid can turn into a titan-killing death machine and potentially delay the extinction of humanity. Just let him fly by the seat of his titanage.

The "well he can't practice because he can't transform properly without something to focus on" excuse doesn't work either. They can just as easily take a trip outside the wall and have him go titan killing while they sit back and watch. It's better than hoping he can do what he's asked to, and that he can do it without killing everyone else in the process. There's no logic here.

And yeah, how much of the Survey Corps is dead as of Episode 21? 15% or more? At least one unit of their best soldiers, for sure. I've already mentioned how pointless that loss was in an earlier post, and I'll save Asuki the trouble of another rant on why having Eren not transform was completely pointless since they needed to recapture her anyhow. Apparently part of being a soldier is being brainwashed to not make decisions in the fie- oh wait, it's not.

Edit: I miss Petra.
Old 2013-09-02, 05:38   Link #204
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I don't know, I've always felt (since from the beginning) that there is no proportion between how many deaths/defeats the humans undergo and their actual status. For example, if the Recon Legion has been wildly unsuccessful as they suggest it has been for years, why does it still even exist?
I can recall where but I distinctly remember the show saying somewhere that the Scouting Legion does in fact face enormous pressure to be disbanded but the only reason they still exist is because of the support from the King.

Quote:
Even here, I'm not complaining that Erwin made mistakes - he could have very well made some. But we're supposed to buy that he's a genius tactician, and he's not. He's just an average commander who ended up messing up badly as soon as the situation got a bit more complex than the usual. Napoleon, Caesar, Alexander weren't great because they could win battles where they had more soldiers and a better position than the enemies, but because they could turn the tables around when they were at a disadvantage.
Napoleon, Caesar and Alexander didn't have to fight 15 meter monsters...

Quote:
Humanity has literally had 100 years to try throwing any kind of weapon from the top of the walls on the Titans below and see what could kill them or weaken them, yet the only thing they can do is try and go slice them on their backs. Why do they still load their cannons with cannonballs rather than shrapnel, for example, which would probably be more effective against the Titan's weak point? Or with explosive projectiles? Why don't they use ballistas? 100 years are a long time to develop weapons. But after 100 years of nearly total stagnation, suddenly we have a burst of advancement (this new titan-capturing weapon).
Probably because canon-balls were the only thing they needed for 100 years so there was no reason to experiment when you already had pretty effective countermeasures. The fact that they only started to advance during conflict is actually pretty realistic.

Quote:
From my understanding, due to the conditions that they made during the trial, they had to go out as quick is as possible to prove Eren's worth and so didn't have much time to train him. The time spent ended up being time to make up for what they thought he was already capable of. As it turns out, he wasn't capable of Titan shifting at will, which would in itself make training a lot harder.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 05:39   Link #205
JamJackEvo

Quote:
I don't know, I've always felt (since from the beginning) that there is no proportion between how many deaths/defeats the humans undergo and their actual status. For example, if the Recon Legion has been wildly unsuccessful as they suggest it has been for years, why does it still even exist? Someone suggested that outcasts/criminals may be sent to the Legion like it happens in Game of Thrones Night Watch. That may well be good, but nothing is said about it, and if it was the case, the average quality of soldiers in the Legion would probably be lower. On the other hand, if the Legion wasn't so bad at exploring and killing Titans (and the gap between the returning Legion we saw back in ep. 1 and the current one, with Erwin and Levi, seems immense), then a 30% mortality rate wouldn't make Erwin into a genius commander. Even here, I'm not complaining that Erwin made mistakes - he could have very well made some. But we're supposed to buy that he's a genius tactician, and he's not. He's just an average commander who ended up messing up badly as soon as the situation got a bit more complex than the usual. Napoleon, Caesar, Alexander weren't great because they could win battles where they had more soldiers and a better position than the enemies, but because they could turn the tables around when they were at a disadvantage.

Humanity has literally had 100 years to try throwing any kind of weapon from the top of the walls on the Titans below and see what could kill them or weaken them, yet the only thing they can do is try and go slice them on their backs. (1) Why do they still load their cannons with cannonballs rather than shrapnel, for example, which would probably be more effective against the Titan's weak point? Or with explosive projectiles? Why don't they use ballistas? 100 years are a long time to develop weapons. But after 100 years of nearly total stagnation, suddenly we have a burst of advancement (this new titan-capturing weapon).

With regards to the current mission... (2) Eren was unpredictable, they say - well, if he was their ultimate weapon, why didn't they train him better in controlling his Titan abilities before going out? Why dragging him along if he's only a dead weight? Being able to transform into a Titan is literally the only thing he can do, if you're too afraid to make use of it what's the point? And if they consider using his powers, how bad has the situation to become before they decide to? It's not like losing so many lives is somehow magically okay because it was all in the plan. Also, lives lost mean equipment lost, and transport and scouting capabilities. The whole scouting formation will be maimed. (3) If they instead had used his powers it would have been very easy... Petra & co. blind the FT, Eren gives the coup de grace. The end. It's so simple that the only reason they couldn't have thought of it is that the writer wanted to kill more people to show us more drama. That's why I say it feels forced. It's not just a plot device, it's a blatant plot device.
Answers to each bolded sentence.

1) Have you ever thought that they might've tried that already? As of now, the cannons can be loaded with two types of cannonballs: Grapeshot, which is, as stated, just a means to slow down a Titan despite its "shrapnel"-like content; and the Explosive rounds, which is low on accuracy, thus not that effective for Titan killing either. You can find that in the eyecatch (aka commercial bumper) of Episode 5. And just to enlighten, it's been about 70 years since the invention of the 3DMG. Most likely it had gone through several innovations since, then, but it is still the most effective offense humans have against the Titans. And the development of anti-Titan weapons went into stagnation due to many factors that the author had not yet revealed. I mean, the majority of people are content staying within the walls, so the front for weapons development found a very big hurdle. No interest means no investment. The reason for the creation of the 3DMG was due to desperation (from what I think) because... well, I'll let the prequel (Before the Fall) explain the events of that time.

2) They didn't have enough time. Remember, Eren's life depends on the result of the Scouting Legion's next expedition. To the eyes of the court, he's still under observation, but with all that's going on, especially with the suspected Titan-shifters invading the human populous when Wall Maria was breached and then sabotaging Titan research (Bean & Sawney), Erwin had to make a call to sniff them out before they do more damage. Eren didn't factor into that because he didn't have enough training on his form and with evidence pointing that he lacks control over it, plus with the suspicion already set that these invaders are looking for Eren.

Now, the expedition itself is a trial. It was just something for the Legion to test the waters, so to speak, (and put results on the table that Eren can be a reliable asset for retaking Wall Maria, if ever the court is hounding for some) but even then, Erwin and co. already prepared for the worst-case scenario, which is they'll be attacked by someone like FT. Whether or not Erwin actually expected the attack, none can be sure, but he did make the necessary preparations for such an event, thus minimizing casualties and ensuring the safety of their "prototypical" weapon against the Titans. That requires foresight and making certain calls that means the death of his own men.

3) Sigh, hingsight is fucking 20/20, ain't it? Besides, you keep talking about plot but not at all factoring the human factor into the equation here. If the author really wanted to stick to some "plot," he would've made more issues with the characterization of certain characters. Despite it all, the reason Eren didn't bite while they were being chase by FT is because he wanted to find camaraderie again, much like the one he had before the Battle of Trost (a whole monologue that is completely absent in the anime, unfortunately). He wanted people who trusts him and people he trusts, in turn. This trust thing is a give-and-receive scenario, and Petra put that into action by asking that Eren trust them and Levi's decision to keep moving forward.

The second instance was pretty much the same, because they were still tasked to protect Eren. He's also, without doubt, the newbie of the group, thus he isn't as well tuned and in-sync as the rest of the squad. That would prove more of a hindrance than an asset in the fight. They're still uncertain over whether or not Eren can retain some sense in his Titan form, which would help with coordinating attacks, but they have neither the time nor the chance to risk doing that, what with a formidable enemy, who has killed countless soldiers already, breathing down their necks.

To shorten it, that scene was mostly character-driven because it played with Eren's emotions and thoughts. His decision in this episode was because of the first time he trusted his squad and that turned out for the best for them and the Legion as a whole, but he only realized too late that not trusting his own powers might just be as bad as not trusting his comrades' at all. Because of this decision to gamble the life of his comrades by retreating while they stay and fight... well, the outcome is this. And he regretted it right after.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 05:40   Link #206
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Honestly I never really thought about it. For some reason I assumed that the titans just didn't come around the cities until they were summoned by the human titans. It's a good question though, seeing as the titans are pretty attracted to humans. I would expect their walls to be constantly assaulted by the smaller titans and picked off like bugs. Yet they're treated as if they're a non-issue, as if they're just short of legends, by the time the series kicks off.

The progression in ability is implied.

Yet there are so many people running around in the Survey Corps who can straight-up murderize armies of titans without even a little help. People like Mikasa, for instance, who apparently has a natural affinity for titan murder.

Humans, for being so bad at killing titans, are surprisingly good at killing titans. It's like all of the titan-killing skills went into a very select few individuals for no explicable reason!
If I don't remember bad, back in episode 1 or so it's said that small cities like Shigashina, protruding out of the walls, serve the purpose of drawing to them the Titans who gather outside. I also remember a bunch of Titans scraping the walls before the Colossal Titan attacked. Given those conditions, I would have tried pouring everything on them. Acid, boiling oil, shrapnel, Greek fire, whatever. Anything that could work could be turned into a long-range weapon. You don't even need to kill them - you just have to incapacitate them long enough to go and slice their necks personally.

Another thing that they should use is landmines. Titans step on a landmine, boom, their legs are gone. Then someone comes in and finishes the job. Though of course we don't know how much does a Titan weigh (in fact that's another plot hole, if they were really as light as Hanji implies them to be when she kicks that severed head cannonballs would send them flying like nothing) and if it can activate a landmine with its weight.

@everyone else: I don't want to go over every detail and why I feel they may be unrealistic... ultimately, it's just a general feeling, that comes not from the single things, but from them being there all together. I'm not dissing the series on a whole. I think it's a good action series, better than the likes of Bleach and Naruto for now. I'm just saying I can't find it to be as great as it's made to be, because I don't think it was very well thought out. Mind you, my standards of "thought out" is actually making calculations about the human population, the kind of weapons, their technical aspects etc. If it was me I'd probably have verified the feasibility of Maneuver Gear and checked which kind of gas and pressure should it employ. I'm an engineer, I can't help but think this way. I'm just frustrated by the fact that the series doesn't seem to deploy the full potential of the Titan vs. humanity war - by holding back the humanity side. I also don't see it realistic that having the walls was okay for 100 years for everyone. Most people, yeah, but most people was happy to believe Earth was the centre of the universe too. A small minority of people who knew better though was enough to advance beyond that knowledge. And war is one of the most powerful engines pushing technological research forward. Honestly, with no problem more pressing than 'killing the Titans' for 100 years, I'd almost expect mankind to come up with nuclear weapons. Now that would kill the suspense .
Old 2013-09-02, 05:51   Link #207
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJackEvo View Post
Answers to each bolded sentence.2) They didn't have enough time. Remember, Eren's life depends on the result of the Scouting Legion's next expedition. To the eyes of the court, he's still under observation, but with all that's going on, especially with the suspected Titan-shifters invading the human populous when Wall Maria was breached and then sabotaging Titan research (Bean & Sawney), Erwin had to make a call to sniff them out before they do more damage. Eren didn't factor into that because he didn't have enough training on his form and with evidence pointing that he lacks control over it, plus with the suspicion already set that these invaders are looking for Eren.
You're technically correct, the worst kind of correct. It's the meaningless kind of being correct.

What we have is an artificial and arbitrary time limit. There's nothing that's actually stopping them from training. It's kind of like that, "man it's a great thing those think tanks solved that battery problem!" line. Fixing little mistakes by making off-screen references. It's meaningless. Besides, they did have time. They tried to make him transform in the well, and I believe they wanted what's-her-name to study him. Surely that wouldn't have taken any time at all.

Quote:
Now, the expedition itself is a trial. It was just something for the Legion to test the waters, so to speak, (and put results on the table that Eren can be a reliable asset for retaking Wall Maria, if ever the court is hounding for some) but even then, Erwin and co. already prepared for the worst-case scenario, which is they'll be attacked by someone like FT. Whether or not Erwin actually expected the attack, none can be sure, but he did make the necessary preparations for such an event, thus minimizing casualties and ensuring the safety of their "prototypical" weapon against the Titans. That requires foresight and making certain calls that means the death of his own men.
Which is great and all, except these are supposed to be wise tacticians. Military men. They're supposed to be considering every possibility! You know what looks great for prototype testing? Having the prototype do what it was supposed to do. If it's an anti-air missile, having it effectively shoot down a plane. If it's a human that can turn into a titan, having him kill titans. You don't protect prototypes. You test prototypes. Which is what they claimed they would be doing and never did.

Of course Eren wasn't really supposed to transform on this mission, was he? They went out to capture the mole instead. Clearly what everyone has is excuses to make, and not a whole lot of actual sense.
Quote:
3) Sigh, hingsight is fucking 20/20, ain't it? Besides, you keep talking about plot but not at all factoring the human factor into the equation here. If the author really wanted to stick to some "plot," he would've made more issues with the characterization of certain characters. Despite it all, the reason Eren didn't bite while they were being chase by FT is because he wanted to find camaraderie again, much like the one he had before the Battle of Trost (a whole monologue that is completely absent in the anime, unfortunately). He wanted people who trusts him and people he trusts, in turn. This trust thing is a give-and-receive scenario, and Petra put that into action by asking that Eren trust them and Levi's decision to keep moving forward.

The second instance was pretty much the same, because they were still tasked to protect Eren. He's also, without doubt, the newbie of the group, thus he isn't as well tuned and in-sync as the rest of the squad. That would prove more of a hindrance than an asset in the fight. They're still uncertain over whether or not Eren can retain some sense in his Titan form, which would help with coordinating attacks, but they have neither the time nor the chance to risk doing that, what with a formidable enemy, who has killed countless soldiers already, breathing down their necks.

To shorten it, that scene was mostly character-driven because it played with Eren's emotions and thoughts. His decision in this episode was because of the first time he trusted his squad and that turned out for the best for them and the Legion as a whole, but he only realized too late that not trusting his own powers might just be as bad as not trusting his comrades' at all. Because of this decision to gamble the life of his comrades by retreating while they stay and fight... well, the outcome is this. And he regretted it right after.
I agree. Hindsight can be rough. That's more or less why I haven't been too vocal about Eren failing to protect his squad when he knew full well that they were incapable of winning.

Don't sugar coat it. He knew they couldn't win. He was lying to himself to make himself look good in their eyes by seemingly trusting their abilities. His doubt of their ability to handle the titan was never a mystery. He himself watched several trained Survey Corps members get maimed and brutalized in a myriad of fashions by the female titan without even standing a chance. And then of course when one of the squaddies died he was kind enough to lend a ha- oh, no. Actually he watched them all die because of 'trust' and such.

If only someone had told him to make his own decisions on the fie- oh... Right... Well, at least the author senselessly murdered developed characters to teach the main character a lesson about thinking for himself!
Old 2013-09-02, 06:21   Link #208
Snow White
★ Starlight Breaker ★

Quote:
I don't know, I've always felt (since from the beginning) that there is no proportion between how many deaths/defeats the humans undergo and their actual status. For example, if the Recon Legion has been wildly unsuccessful as they suggest it has been for years, why does it still even exist? Someone suggested that outcasts/criminals may be sent to the Legion like it happens in Game of Thrones Night Watch. That may well be good, but nothing is said about it, and if it was the case, the average quality of soldiers in the Legion would probably be lower.
You make it sound like killing Titans is a small task to do. I remember Jean said that it literally took 30 deaths to take 1 Titan down. It shows us how superior Titans to humans are.

And no, I won't say that Recon Corps soldiers quality is good. Brave and crazy, maybe. But you know, almost, if not all, skilled soldiers join the Military Police (with the exception of 104th squad). Granted, the strongest man ever chose to join the Recon Corps, but it by no means shows us that all Recons Corps soldiers are as skilled as he is.

I think the 30% mortality rate is not because the strategy is bad. Rather, it's their lack of skill to kill Titans that they get themselves killed, especially if they have to fight Abnormal Titans. If anything, it's like a wonder they only loss 30% of the total soldiers in every mission after the strategy is implemented.

Quote:
(and the gap between the returning Legion we saw back in ep. 1 and the current one, with Erwin and Levi, seems immense), then a 30% mortality rate wouldn't make Erwin into a genius commander. Even here, I'm not complaining that Erwin made mistakes - he could have very well made some. But we're supposed to buy that he's a genius tactician, and he's not. He's just an average commander who ended up messing up badly as soon as the situation got a bit more complex than the usual. Napoleon, Caesar, Alexander weren't great because they could win battles where they had more soldiers and a better position than the enemies, but because they could turn the tables around when they were at a disadvantage.
No matter how bad the situation was, Napoleon, Alexander, and Caesar were in war against the same human beings. I bet they would be fucked up if they had to face against Gundam that was literally immune to any weapons they had.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 11:19   Link #209
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I don't know about you, but I'm basing my observation solely from what took place in this episode in anime. He wasn't "knocked into the tree". He drove his knee into the tree while aiming for the female titan who was sitting there a moment ago. She was ready to run after that. At the same time, Eren's titan form is resting against that tree while steam is coming out off his shoulder. He looked spent. The reason I say that is because from previous episode similar indicator suggested (especially when steam is coming out) Eren's titan form is exhausted. Eren's eyes inside widened momentarily, but it seemed as if to anticipate the coming blow toward his head rather than anything else.

If you are a manga reader don't hint at anything unnecessary.

edit: Added sequence of images from that scene:

Images
From Left to Right
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Its not a spoiler but it gives so much away. This series forshadows stuff sometimes but the forshadows can be so blatant it gives the plot away and it's best to not fully point em out to those who don't notice em. If you want I can inbox it to you.

Iron Maw normal titan can get tired also. Go rewatch a few eps intances of titans getting tired. The one chasing potato girl is a perfect example.

Actually its much more obvious what happened in the anime. I am a manga reader and I always thought Eren gassed in that fight hell my first posts were about him gassing till I re watched and noticed exactly what made him stop.
Old 2013-09-02, 11:40   Link #210
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

That was actually predictable. i've expect more from petra and the rest than that

now i see why they are old people (40s to 60s) in the recon corps. being a veteran doesn't gaurantee you survival for long term
Old 2013-09-02, 11:58   Link #211
lateraldeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Then the reshowing of the mutilated bodies several times (one poster even mused the showing as excessive), but that's a common strategy seen in Shaft produced anime.
I disagree on the reshowing of the bodies being unnecessary and a result of animation quality/time/budget, etc. Discounting the time they showed it in the preview cause well previews are w/e, in the actual episode they only showed it twice. Once right after they just died to Eren and once when Levi passed through them. Both times to convey what this means not to us but to the characters in question. The author is pretty good on expanding character development outside of the MC and seeing Levi reacting to the bodies is definitely part of that.

I think it feels like it's a lot because one, yes the 3rd showing in the preview is pointless, but it could be just because they don't want to spoil anything from the next ep. Two, this episode you have to admit is extremely exciting, since us as an audience we already know they died and care, we don't want to see what we already know, we just want to know how Eren can beat the living shit out of the FT. So it might SEEM excessive but really both of them are necessary for the story IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I'll take that hit.

It feels like one though.
lol, well whether this is a happy place or not sorta depends on you and the posts you reply to doesn't :P. I try my best to reply only to the less confrontational posts, but I'm not always successful. Usually enough ppl reply to them anyhow. So for the most part this is a happy place for me.

Last edited by lateraldeath; 2013-09-02 at 12:51.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:17   Link #212
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Did anybody else notice that it looked like steam was coming off Mikasa for a bit during her fight with the FT? Before that bit, Mikasa had blood on her face, but afterwards her face was clean.

Last edited by Sute443; 2013-09-02 at 12:29.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:24   Link #213
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateraldeath View Post
lol, well whether this is a happy place or not sorta depends on you and the posts you reply to doesn't :P. I try my best to reply only to the less confrontational posts, but I'm not always successful. Usually enough ppl reply to them anyhow. So for the most part this is a happy place for me.
I hear ya.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2013-09-02 at 12:55.
Old 2013-09-02, 12:31   Link #214
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Did anybody else notice that it looked like steam was coming off Mikasa for a bit during her fight with the FT? Before that bit, Mikasa had blood on her face, but afterwards her face was clean. I didn't notice that when I read the manga, but upon checking on it, it happened there, too.
That was the blood of the Female Titan that Mikasa got on her when she slashed at it, the blood already started to evaporate into steam.

A similar thing happened to Levi in an earlier episode when Titan blood splattered on his cloak.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:45   Link #215
lateraldeath

Quote:
Fair enough, but you're getting a little smart too.

So it goes both ways now, doesn't it?

Let's leave it at this.
Wait what? How was that getting a little smart? O.o Not sure what I said but my bad if that was somehow offending, not my intention at all. Sure you didn't get my name mixed up with the previous guy?
Old 2013-09-02, 12:47   Link #216
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Which is great and all, except these are supposed to be wise tacticians. Military men. They're supposed to be considering every possibility! You know what looks great for prototype testing? Having the prototype do what it was supposed to do. If it's an anti-air missile, having it effectively shoot down a plane. If it's a human that can turn into a titan, having him kill titans. You don't protect prototypes. You test prototypes. Which is what they claimed they would be doing and never did.
Except in this case the prototype has a bad habit of friendly fire, so they're being careful with him.

Quote:
Don't sugar coat it. He knew they couldn't win. He was lying to himself to make himself look good in their eyes by seemingly trusting their abilities. His doubt of their ability to handle the titan was never a mystery.
'Know' is going a bit far. He certainly doubted, but he thought that they, the elite, had a good chance of winning. To be fair, if not for the female titans unprecedented ability, they might have won.

Their mistake was trying the least risky solution. Erwin himself said that he was mistaken, and to defeat enemies like the female titan they have to take big risks.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:47   Link #217
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
That was the blood of the Female Titan that Mikasa got on her when she slashed at it, the blood already started to evaporate into steam.

A similar thing happened to Levi in an earlier episode when Titan blood splattered on his cloak.
Oh, okay, that makes sense. I thought it was odd for her to have a wound in that area.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 12:53   Link #218
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateraldeath View Post
Wait what? How was that getting a little smart? O.o Not sure what I said but my bad if that was somehow offending, not my intention at all. Sure you didn't get my name mixed up with the previous guy?
Sorry about that.

I just woke up earlier and didn't check all the words properly.

It's too early to rage or misunderstand things.

I'll fix it.

(I need a pop tart.)

Back on topic:

There's been a few Titan Eren and Female Titan fan arts flooding the internets today.

I wonder why?
Old 2013-09-02, 13:15   Link #219
lateraldeath

Quote:
Sorry about that.

I just woke up earlier and didn't check all the words properly.

It's too early to rage or misunderstand things.

I'll fix it.

(I need a pop tart.)

Back on topic:

There's been a few Titan Eren and Female Titan fan arts flooding the internets today.

I wonder why?
Probably cause of this troll the Arthur decided to do to us.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He drew this just for fun, it's NOT story related, else please give me Angel Krista titan! Connie's titan... lol!
Old 2013-09-02, 13:16   Link #220
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Except in this case the prototype has a bad habit of friendly fire, so they're being careful with him.
Gendo Ikari says that's a minor concern. See what they did with EVA-00 .