Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 22:30   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Just responding in general, but who is pushing for 3D to overtake 2D? I didn't get the impression that this thread was about the superiority of 3D over 2D.
There was a long debate over 3D animation vs. 2D animation on an older thread on this forum. Alas, I can't seem to find it right now.

Anyway, since I can't find it, we can drop this particular line of discussion if you wish.

Quote:
Paperman showed that it's possible to emulate traditional 2D animation with 3D. They didn't do it perfectly, but I'm not sure that's what they were going for, either. I think they just wanted the character designs and line art to resemble traditional ink-and-pencil animation over 3D. The animation is too fluid and in some scenes the lighting is probably too sophisticated, which can give away the fact that it's 3D. In both cases it's possible to scale things back to even further resemble and emulate 2D.

That's basically what I'm getting at. If 3D were utilized such that it looked and felt exactly like 2D, then what does it matter?
Simply put, I remain skeptical that this will actually be achieved. Or, to be more precise, achieved in a profitable way within my lifetime (I don't doubt it'll be achievable at some point in the future). Where you see subtle differences between Paperman and traditional 2D animation, I see major ones.

I mean, there's a huge difference between Paperman and Hyouka, or Paperman and Red Data Girl, if you ask me. I'm not saying that either is objectively better than the other, just that the difference is pretty clear there.

I can't think of anything done purely with 3D CGI style that comes very close to replicating an anime like Hyouka. Once something of significant length leaves that impression on me, my view on this topic may well change. But for now, I feel comfortable taking a "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" stand.

For now, the differences between 3D CGI and traditional hand-drawn 2D animation are significant and obvious to me.
Old 2013-04-25, 23:36   Link #42
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
There's Live2D, which can be used to animate 2D characters into 3D without sacrificing the 2D style.

It's not bad, to be honest...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 11:16   Link #43
Moizeus

Send a message via MSN to Moizeus Send a message via Yahoo to Moizeus
I do enjoy historical animes on 3D, but I think the beauty of anime always comes in 2D.
Moizeus is offline   Reply With Quote