Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-03, 03:28   Link #21
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
Valkyria Chronicles - intelligent, more than holding hands.
I second Phantom Requiem For The Phantom
Spice & Wolf- somewhat intelligent, more than holding hands?, white hair
Ah, yes. I really enjoyed P:RFTP, the bit of it that I watched.

As I did say in one of my posts above, I tend to enjoy manga that has some of those likes and less of the dislikes, but it does not ruin a whole series because the main character looks like he's been taking steroids for a few years, aslong as the story is good. c:

I never really gave Spice & Wolf a proper chance, I think I'll give it a second go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I'm sorry for the insensitive insinuation.

As per your original request, I picked out a few great manga and anime which fulfill most your criteria, although I have no idea if you've tried them out already or not.

Recommended Manga:

Mon Seul
This is a well-written, deathly serious drama centered around the themes of family, trust, and lies. There is also a romance that involves far more than just holding hands, and it drives much of the story. After you finish the first chapter, it's pretty much a non-stop page-turner until the end. It's only 5 chapters long, so I highly recommend that you just read it.

Pluto
Pluto is just amazing. Even though most of its main characters are robots, it is an extraordinarily human story with much emotion, charm, and pathos. Not to mention, the art is of HOLY COW AWESOME quality. One of the best manga I've read so far.

Recommended Anime:

Texhnolyze
This anime is one of a kind. It's well-directed with sparse dialogue and lots of brilliant visual cues. It's also absolutely devoid of any type of humor. The setting is mysterious but well-established. You'll especially like this if you like dystopias or cyberpunk fiction.

Eve no Jikan
This is also based on robots, but it takes more of a perspective on the social interactions between robots and humans. This is quite a bit of humor, but it's not omnipresent, and there isn't much slapstick. It's worth watching for its several stories about robots, and the vivid animation and music brings it to live wonderfully.
I've seen the front page of Mon Seul and it intrigued me before, but I didn't have time at that point so it went into my ever changing backpocket memory, that I sometimes have luck finding interesting things in. o: I will definitely give it a look, thank you very much.

Hmm, this one I've seen the front page of quite a lot of times, and a few of the first chapter pages of Pluto, but I never really got around to giving it a shot. o: I will definitely also look futher into this, thank you very much again. c:

Texhnolyze looks incredibly interesting.... I've only seen a bit of a teaser to it, and apparently it didn't interest me at that point (?) but it definitely interest me now. I will look futher into it.

Eve no Jikan, I think I've seen this before, but I can't seem to remember properly, so a rewatch wouldn't hurt...

Thank you very much for your various suggestions. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'll just throw in Yureka here, it's a manhwa about a kid who meets a super-strong girl in an MMO and tries to unlock the mysteries behind her. While it focuses a lot on Yureka, all characters get some spotlight, and the MC more than the rest, of course. It has a VERY good plot, interesting characters and a fun setup.

So much for Claymore and Kurohime...

No Berserk or Jackals either then?

Based on ALL of these, I will close with The world god only knows. Very smart guy who has to capture the hearts of many girls, does not give up and his life depends on it.
Yureka, I've seen quite a good sum of that. Up to the point of where he picks up something he shouldn't have, and such. But it's been quite awhile since I last read it, so I can't remember much of it, so I'll definitely re-read it.

The World God Only Knows: Now this, I enjoyed quite a hefty sum too, it was quite awesome in many ways. It's quite hilarious in it's own unique way, and I never really got around to watching the second season of it, which I definitely will begin to do shortly... I'm getting a ton of good suggestions here, I've got material enough to last for quite awhile. Thanks alot guys!

Related to quote above: PLEASE READ

As I did say in my post above, I tend to enjoy manga that has some of those likes and less of the dislikes, but it does not ruin a whole series because the main character looks like he's been taking steroids for a few years, aslong as the story is good. c: Same goes for if it's a female lead, I don't mind female leads at all, I've read Kurohime to the ending and I loved it, because it somewhat seemed to focus Zero too through the whole series. Claymore, I've seen the first episode of it, and it somewhat scared me away, but then again, it looks like the main character is somewhat sharing the spotlight with the male character.

TL;DR - When I say like and dislike, this is based on my previous experiences with reading and watching, but this do not entirely mean that I'm gonna hate every single series that involves any of that. A good example I made above, I'm not going to hate a series because they have one element of what I do not like, I for example loved Jackals too, because the main character looked simply awesome. I think what I mean in depth by overly masculine, I mean a MEGA BULKY man with A BIG BEARD and a HUSKY voice.

TL;DR to the TL;DR - Basically, be free to suggest anything. I will get around to giving it a shot, and I will return with feedback on it. c:
Old 2012-01-03, 04:26   Link #22
Stealther

I'll agree with Baccano! and Phantom: Requeim for the Phantom.

I'll add Noein too. Action with a white-haired guy :P. Maybe Terra e... (2007) as well.

Mushishi and Fantastic Children also has white-haired main characters, though I suspect you could find them boring.

Casshern Sins and Kaiba/Kemonozume might be worth a shot.
Old 2012-01-03, 05:41   Link #23
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I forgot to mention Hayate no Gotoku, it's the romcom/SoL of a very effeminate butler and his mistress. While it starts out and carries on all in good fun, it does have a serious arc every now and then...I'd say it is quite amusing.
Thanks for clarifying, since that's the case I will also recommend Vampire juji kai and Rosario+Vampire (strictly limited to the manga version), they've got different kinds of romance but deep plot and characters, and are easy to read.
Seconding FMA, Baccano!, Casshern Sins and Mushishi.
Old 2012-01-03, 08:48   Link #24
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Searched in my own 'watched' list, and i will now give you the titles i loved the most that should fit your tastes. It's hard to find martial arts and romance coupled, but i can give you some romance with action in it, where action can vary from physical combat to swordfighting and spell throwing. All these titles feature the boy as the protagonist, since i got a similar issue like you: i prefer male protagonist since i can easily sub in them. If you watched each of these titles, do not mind reading the text next to it.

-Romance/Action/Fantasy
Hidan no Aria (Really loveable, never boring, cool characters, no slapstick humor, romance, more than holding hands, genuine action, satisfying ending. You'll most likely love it. It's about a boy who has the ability to go berserk mode, called Hysteria mode, and a girl, Aria. It's settled at a special school, where they learn fighting and gunslinging, it's full of kinda normal action, with nice physical combat and some gunslinging. The artwork is totally good. The first episode will give you a huge hint about it. You'll want to watch at least up to the 5h episode. If you start watching it, you'll understand why. Definitely try it out, since it's the most high priority title i can give you)
Zero no Tsukaima (This actually contains slapstick humor, but i found it very funny. The romance is very developed and surely goes beyond holding hands and even kissing sometimes. It's settled on a fantasy background: a mage, Louise(who lives in another wolrd), has to summon her familiar at the academy(usually familiars are creatures like animals that should help their summoner), but she summons an human from earth. Louise is hotheaded and a tsundere, the boy Saito is a kinda normal guy with a normal grade of perversion. Due to many misunderstandings, he'll get beaten up many times, but it's usually funny and easily bearable. Each other will become more and more jealous towards the other, episode by episode, until...The second season actually has way more romance and depth, with the last episode being very emotional. I think you should try the first two episodes. If you don't like the setting, then fine, drop it. If you think it would be okay but you find the lack of romance, then i have to warn you that the romance will come, and with a huge load of emotions. Ah ye, don't be fooled by the first episode: it starts with the girl's pov, but it's just to introduce you to the plot. The protagonist is the boy. Perhaps, Hidan no Aria has a normal setting, while this is totally set on a different world.)
11eyes (Romance, action, fantasy. Initially settled at school, will develop in a parallel dimension, where the protagonists have to fight some entities that apparently are the bad guys. You'll discover what's going on later on. It got romance in it, WAYS beyond kissing, settled in a fantasy/action background with some sword fighting. If you don't like eyepatches like me, do not worry about it. Just do not worry about it. If you get interested in it, i'll give you a tip: beware the 11th episode. Be prepar'd.)
Ben-To (It doesn't actually contain any deepened romance, there is just a spare trace. It's more oriented towards action. Perhaps, the plot is a bit exagerated, but it's a very enjoyable show. Even people like me, who do not like this kind of anime much came to love it, meaning it's an original and enjoyable anime overall. It's about students fighting to get halfpriced lunchs. As you can see, fighting to blood for halfpriced food in a market is a bit exagerated and sometimes irrational, but you'll get used to it. The characters are all cool, the action is awesome, and is normal fighting(naturally with some high speed characters). The graphic is very good, and only the opening should make you fall in love with it)
Princess Lover (Good graphic, ecchiness, romance, action. It got very cool characters, nice girls, and the protagonist kicks asses. It will contain action from halfway on. You should definitely enjoy it. It's settled at some sort of wealthy school.)

-Romance/comedy/drama
Onegai Teacher (It's about the relation between a student and a teacher BUT, don't be fooled by this introduction. If you are thinking about some normal school setting with a difficult and heavy relation between a student and a teacher that might provoke scandal and lead to a disastered relationship, you are totally wrong. Nothing serious like that. The teacher looks very young, and she's actually an alien that came to earth to check if everything is allright. This boy and the teacher are neighbours and one day the boy discovers that she's an alien. There it begins their relation. Beside this fantasious introduction, you won't hear the word alien again for the following 10 episodes. It got some funny moments, but the romance is very developed, it contains much drama and will eventually move you emotionally. It's a somewhat light title with much romance/drama in it. PS the boy isn't that much of a weakling, in case you get a wrong opinion of him. Imo, try the first episode to see if the graphic is ok for your standards and if you can bear those protagonists. Once again, i'd recommend you watch it, since you won't find such good romances around)
Amagami SS (Normal school setting, no fighting whatsoever, normal people, no weird hair colors, but only romance. Sadly for you, this anime is taken from a VN, and it's actually divided in 5 different stories, each counting 4 episodes per girl. The graphic and the plots are all very good, the romance is totally fine, but it lasts just 4 episodes. I still suggest you watch it, at least the first arc, so only 5 episodes. I'm sure you'll like it.)
Akane iro ni somaru saka (normal school setting, no fighting or other weird stuff, the kind of boy meets girl. Contains kisses and much romance. Enjoyable show. The girl got white/gray hairs. The protagonist is the boy. Normal school romance, you should enjoy it if what you are looking for is romance.
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na (I don't know if to suggest you this title. The thing of going beyond holding hands only comes very late in the anime, but it's 100% romance. Fantasy background: boy falls in love with the moon princes. Earth and moon have been at war for the past few years, now in a state of indifference. Some dick wants to bring back war, but the princess wants to unify earth and moon. Once again, if you are looking for real romance, you can't be mistaken here: 100% romance with exponentially growing drama near the end. You should still give it a try, or keep it as a last resource. Still remember, it's 100% romance.)

If you have watched all of them, i'll move to second choice titles then.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:53   Link #25
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealther View Post
I'll agree with Baccano! and Phantom: Requeim for the Phantom.

I'll add Noein too. Action with a white-haired guy :P. Maybe Terra e... (2007) as well.

Mushishi and Fantastic Children also has white-haired main characters, though I suspect you could find them boring.

Casshern Sins and Kaiba/Kemonozume might be worth a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I forgot to mention Hayate no Gotoku, it's the romcom/SoL of a very effeminate butler and his mistress. While it starts out and carries on all in good fun, it does have a serious arc every now and then...I'd say it is quite amusing.
Thanks for clarifying, since that's the case I will also recommend Vampire juji kai and Rosario+Vampire (strictly limited to the manga version), they've got different kinds of romance but deep plot and characters, and are easy to read.
Seconding FMA, Baccano!, Casshern Sins and Mushishi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Searched in my own 'watched' list, and i will now give you the titles i loved the most that should fit your tastes. It's hard to find martial arts and romance coupled, but i can give you some romance with action in it, where action can vary from physical combat to swordfighting and spell throwing. All these titles feature the boy as the protagonist, since i got a similar issue like you: i prefer male protagonist since i can easily sub in them. If you watched each of these titles, do not mind reading the text next to it.

-Romance/Action/Fantasy
Hidan no Aria (Really loveable, never boring, cool characters, no slapstick humor, romance, more than holding hands, genuine action, satisfying ending. You'll most likely love it. It's about a boy who has the ability to go berserk mode, called Hysteria mode, and a girl, Aria. It's settled at a special school, where they learn fighting and gunslinging, it's full of kinda normal action, with nice physical combat and some gunslinging. The artwork is totally good. The first episode will give you a huge hint about it. You'll want to watch at least up to the 5h episode. If you start watching it, you'll understand why. Definitely try it out, since it's the most high priority title i can give you)
Zero no Tsukaima (This actually contains slapstick humor, but i found it very funny. The romance is very developed and surely goes beyond holding hands and even kissing sometimes. It's settled on a fantasy background: a mage, Louise(who lives in another wolrd), has to summon her familiar at the academy(usually familiars are creatures like animals that should help their summoner), but she summons an human from earth. Louise is hotheaded and a tsundere, the boy Saito is a kinda normal guy with a normal grade of perversion. Due to many misunderstandings, he'll get beaten up many times, but it's usually funny and easily bearable. Each other will become more and more jealous towards the other, episode by episode, until...The second season actually has way more romance and depth, with the last episode being very emotional. I think you should try the first two episodes. If you don't like the setting, then fine, drop it. If you think it would be okay but you find the lack of romance, then i have to warn you that the romance will come, and with a huge load of emotions. Ah ye, don't be fooled by the first episode: it starts with the girl's pov, but it's just to introduce you to the plot. The protagonist is the boy. Perhaps, Hidan no Aria has a normal setting, while this is totally set on a different world.)
11eyes (Romance, action, fantasy. Initially settled at school, will develop in a parallel dimension, where the protagonists have to fight some entities that apparently are the bad guys. You'll discover what's going on later on. It got romance in it, WAYS beyond kissing, settled in a fantasy/action background with some sword fighting. If you don't like eyepatches like me, do not worry about it. Just do not worry about it. If you get interested in it, i'll give you a tip: beware the 11th episode. Be prepar'd.)
Ben-To (It doesn't actually contain any deepened romance, there is just a spare trace. It's more oriented towards action. Perhaps, the plot is a bit exagerated, but it's a very enjoyable show. Even people like me, who do not like this kind of anime much came to love it, meaning it's an original and enjoyable anime overall. It's about students fighting to get halfpriced lunchs. As you can see, fighting to blood for halfpriced food in a market is a bit exagerated and sometimes irrational, but you'll get used to it. The characters are all cool, the action is awesome, and is normal fighting(naturally with some high speed characters). The graphic is very good, and only the opening should make you fall in love with it)
Princess Lover (Good graphic, ecchiness, romance, action. It got very cool characters, nice girls, and the protagonist kicks asses. It will contain action from halfway on. You should definitely enjoy it. It's settled at some sort of wealthy school.)

-Romance/comedy/drama
Onegai Teacher (It's about the relation between a student and a teacher BUT, don't be fooled by this introduction. If you are thinking about some normal school setting with a difficult and heavy relation between a student and a teacher that might provoke scandal and lead to a disastered relationship, you are totally wrong. Nothing serious like that. The teacher looks very young, and she's actually an alien that came to earth to check if everything is allright. This boy and the teacher are neighbours and one day the boy discovers that she's an alien. There it begins their relation. Beside this fantasious introduction, you won't hear the word alien again for the following 10 episodes. It got some funny moments, but the romance is very developed, it contains much drama and will eventually move you emotionally. It's a somewhat light title with much romance/drama in it. PS the boy isn't that much of a weakling, in case you get a wrong opinion of him. Imo, try the first episode to see if the graphic is ok for your standards and if you can bear those protagonists. Once again, i'd recommend you watch it, since you won't find such good romances around)
Amagami SS (Normal school setting, no fighting whatsoever, normal people, no weird hair colors, but only romance. Sadly for you, this anime is taken from a VN, and it's actually divided in 5 different stories, each counting 4 episodes per girl. The graphic and the plots are all very good, the romance is totally fine, but it lasts just 4 episodes. I still suggest you watch it, at least the first arc, so only 5 episodes. I'm sure you'll like it.)
Akane iro ni somaru saka (normal school setting, no fighting or other weird stuff, the kind of boy meets girl. Contains kisses and much romance. Enjoyable show. The girl got white/gray hairs. The protagonist is the boy. Normal school romance, you should enjoy it if what you are looking for is romance.
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na (I don't know if to suggest you this title. The thing of going beyond holding hands only comes very late in the anime, but it's 100% romance. Fantasy background: boy falls in love with the moon princes. Earth and moon have been at war for the past few years, now in a state of indifference. Some dick wants to bring back war, but the princess wants to unify earth and moon. Once again, if you are looking for real romance, you can't be mistaken here: 100% romance with exponentially growing drama near the end. You should still give it a try, or keep it as a last resource. Still remember, it's 100% romance.)

If you have watched all of them, i'll move to second choice titles then.

Thank you for all your suggestions, sadly I have to leave till this Friday. I will return with feedback on all your lovely replies once I get back. c:
Old 2012-01-03, 16:01   Link #26
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Since nowadays I only read manga, all my suggestions are for manga. I try to suggest manga that I feel are unusual, or at least not cliche.

Holyland - story about a boy who starts street fighting to find a place for himself. He has no fighting experience and has to learn gradually to improve. The author likes to explain the methodology and psychology of the fights, which is something you may like. This is my only recommendation that fits your preference (the one for martial art).

Silver Spoon - latest manga by author of FMA; a slice-of-life story about a student who, although smart, has no goal in life, and ends up enrolling in a farm school. If you like FMA's humor, you will certainly like this. In addition, it's unusual, interesting, and meaningful.

Cage of Eden - a plane crashes onto an island that shouldn't exist and is inhabited by extinct species. The story follows a group of students as they try to survive. It has a lot of cliffhanger and is exciting to read.

Deadman Wonderland - look up summary in mangaupdates. It starts off a bit weak (imo), but the plot transitions more smoothly later on. My hunch is that you will like this one the most (except for weak-willed main lead, but it doesn't last too long).

Heads - This manga doesn't have many chapters translated so far. The story follows a man who has received a transplant to part of his brain, and how he copes with his sudden personality change as he clears up the mysteries behind it.

Homunuculus - look up summary of this manga on mangaupdates, as I don't know how to summarize it. Read this with an open mind since it gets really weird at times.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2012-01-03, 21:40   Link #27
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
You sound a lot like me in the "do not like" department. If I may suggest a title with a female lead that is very interesting to me is the webtoon called Cheese in the Trap. If your tastes are similar to mine, even with your dislike of female leads, you will LOVE the main protagonist's personality, guaranteed. The first 4 chapters should be enough for you to see.

Last edited by frubam; 2012-01-03 at 21:51.
Old 2012-01-03, 23:57   Link #28
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm...

I would suggest

Bunny Drop (watch at least the first episode, I think you'll like this one)
Cross Game (reason for the romance, good male lead)
Crest of the Stars
Fullmetal Alchemist
Katanagatari (Martial Arts, white hair, romance)
Tiger & Bunny (Think of a cross between the Justice League and Lethal Weapon)
Chrome Shelled Regios (Martial Arts and white hair, some episodes have slapstick humor, but not most of them- you might prefer one of the manga versions- there are three, one version is a shoujo the other two are shounen or seinen I think)

Also, I know it's all female leads, but you really ought to take a chance on Madoka Magica if you haven't yet. Give it three episodes and see if you are still interested or not.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2012-01-08, 23:12   Link #29
YuKanda

You should try Ubel Blatt the main character is rather androgynous as well as one of the best swordsmen in the manga. He is out for revenge against his ex comrades that killed him and he meets friends along the way.
Old 2012-01-10, 04:16   Link #30
dametsuna

Infinite Stratos (IS)
Old 2012-01-11, 23:38   Link #31
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
... although I myself am way behind on it, I'm surprised no one has suggested the manga Until Death Do Us Part. While the main guy is blind, and the girl is only twelve, the guy is one of the most badass swordsmen I've ever seen (in the league of Rurouni Kenshin)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2012-01-12, 10:33   Link #32
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think Until Death Do Us Part, Wolf Guy and Zetman may be a bit too much, as they include a good lot of violence and gore (amputations, various forms of maiming, rape, etc.) but they certainly have...romance. IF that's your cup of tea, Jesus and Part-time Hitman are two lighter, more fun versions of the kind (i.e. no raping and maiming but enough gunshots and humour).
Quote:
While the main guy is blind, and the girl is only twelve, the guy is one of the most badass swordsmen I've ever seen (in the league of Rurouni Kenshin)
For a blind guy he sure got some nice shades He's the one on my sig btw.
Old 2012-01-22, 07:00   Link #33
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Qwaser of Stigmata : The protagonist is a white-haired androgynous male who fights foes and protects lot of girls. It has some romance and lot of action, but beware of overused fanservice and ridiculous concept (about warriors who breastmiks girls to gain energy before fighting ennemies, but don't worry, it's a sacred/semi-religious concept).

Yosuga no Sora : Another anime with androgynous/white-haired boy. He currently lives with his twin sister, but both escaped to the rural village after their parents died in a car accident. The series contains real, heavy-paced romance with lot of drama, but there's also incest and overused ecchi.

Dragon Crisis! : It's about a boy who makes things himself while protecting a dragon girl. It has lot of action, romance and drama.

Angel Beats! : It's about a boy who was ressurected in a afterlife. One day he met plenty of highschoolers who undergo the same issue than him. Lot of action and drama, but beware of some comedic scenes.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-01-22 at 07:40.
Closed Thread