AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 02:17   Link #1
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

Windows Media Player 11 error

I've been trying to watch the new subbed animes on WMP and for most of them it crashes. The files start fine but the screen is grayed out, yet the sound still plays. It runs for a minute or two and then crashes with the error;

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. Assertion Failed!"... ect.. ect.. with the options to Retry, Abort, or Cancel (all of which do nothing).

I can't find any similar problems on the net and most searches direct me to registry cleaner sites (of which I'm nearly positive those are all scams). I'd normally just bite the bullet and deal with youtube subs but I can't find any for this seasons anime. So I'm hoping someone here has encountered this problem and knows how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
SilentGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 02:45   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Try to reinstall, such an error I believe happens when something important in your windows files is broken.
It can be due to malware, a wrong installation of either WMP or whatever you just tried to install before it that associates with WMP, or a file in your registry that WMP uses that is clashing with it.

More info would be handy, such as your OS. Did you always use WMP or did you just installed it.
You might need to use the windows file checker to see what file is broken and replace it:

simple google:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...3-6d9594eb718c

for if you use Win7 and prob Vista too
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 03:46   Link #3
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my OS is Windows XP. I've pretty much always used WMP and I've never had problems with it before.

I removed WMP 11 and it rolled itself back to WMP 9, which is still showing the same problem. I've also scanned my PC several times and it hasn't turned up with any malware.

I haven't installed anything new on my PC in awhile but I'll poke around and see if anything strange is in my program lists.
Old 2010-05-24, 05:09   Link #4
TCman

Hi,

Maybe some codecs have become broken or corrupted. Try to uninstall codecs or codec pack (CCCP or K-lite e.g.) and reinstall (preferably update to the newest).
See if it helps.

Hope this works for you,

Good luck!
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 13:05   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Solution: Don't use WMP. It's a big bloated bag of suck.

Use MPC-HC.
Old 2010-05-24, 20:25   Link #6
SilentGhost
Lord of Darkness

I just installed MPC-HC and it runs everything just fine, thanks synaesthetic! ^_^ I was rather surprised it worked because the MPC that came with my CCC pack refused to play anything either.

It may be like TCman suggested and my CCC pack broke somehow or is refusing to communicate properly with WMP. I'll un/re install it and see if it fixes the problem, but for now I'm just glad I had a working program again. I can get back to watching anime when I'm not playing Fallout 3 myself lol. Thanks for the support everyone.
Old 2010-05-25, 01:12   Link #7
JEEB
Bishoujo fanatic
*Fansubber

I would bet on something broken in your DirectShow playback system.
  1. Open the CCCP settings app and reset settings and re-register filters (it's on the second page)
  2. Grab the CCCP Insurgent and do a full log + test render of a file that doesn't work. Post them either here in [ code ] tags or on the CCCP pastebin if you're not sure how to paste bucketloads of text in code tags.
Worst option would be that your DirectShow system has somehow went fubar. That would mean a re-install. Otherwise there might be a bad filter somewhere that might get loaded with those files, running it -- and every other app trying to use DS into oblivion, in which case removing the given filter could actually help (or the app that got the thing there in the first place).

Whichever the actual reason is, until it gets fixed there's always Kovensky's Mplayer for ordered chapters etc. MPC-HC has very basic support for various stuff, but it surely lacks multithreaded decoding and ordered chapters support. The reason you're getting stuff played back with the MPC-HC you got from their site (?) is because the default MPC-HC's settings use internal filters, which often are somewhat worse than what the DirectShow filters provided with CCCP are. Which is the reason why CCCP's MPC-HC "didn't work". You could set it up in the exact same way, but I would say that you might like to try and fix your DirectShow system before that, as it's a system-wise problem that might lead to random crashes of random apps that try to use it.

TL;DR Do make logs available, that'll make it all much easier to evaluate. At least partially.