AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 21:48   Link #1
NaweG
Just some guy

iPhone or Android directing Home Computer DL?

Part of the reason I've been thinking of trading in my iPhone is so I could write an Android app that would look at an RSS feed of shows from sites (preferably ones with MegaUpload or RapidShare links), and then DL that episode to my home computer so it's already there in the evening. Anything like that already out there (so I can enjoy this now rather than have to code it myself)? Or maybe something I could just leave running on the home computer and it will DL by itself and then I can sort through the day's results?

TIA!
Old 2010-05-14, 13:23   Link #2
Discipline

Send a message via AIM to Discipline Send a message via MSN to Discipline
I don't know of anything that would do that automatically, but there are a number of apps for the Android OS that will allow you to remotely control your PC from your phone. As far as automating a download on your PC, you'd probably have to make a macro to do that, as I don't believe any applications can automate past the security text.
Old 2010-05-14, 14:19   Link #3
NaweG
Just some guy

Actually, I'm a premium user of both services, so the security text isn't an issue. I have the LogMeIn app for the iPhone which is similar to what you're describing, but mapping a PC screen to a handheld doesn't work very well - so wouldn't want to have to use it on a daily basis :-)

Sounds like it's time for me to get coding...
Old 2010-05-14, 15:19   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think the easiest solution would probably be to use uTorrent's RSS feed monitor & web interface feature. You configure uTorrent to download certain files from RSS automatically, then manage & monitor the downloads using the web interface through your phone's web browser.

Other than that, you'd probably have to write something yourself (if you have the skills) that does the RSS feed checking. I'd then recommend again using a web interface (possibly one optimized for iPhone or Android) to simply click those downloads that need to be queued... in whatever download management app you like and can be controlled externally using some kind of external interface or API. Actually that last bit would be initially the trickiest bit for me
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 07:47   Link #5
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I think the easiest solution would probably be to use uTorrent's RSS feed monitor & web interface feature. You configure uTorrent to download certain files from RSS automatically, then manage & monitor the downloads using the web interface through your phone's web browser.
I've done my best to avoid using torrents for anything. Or other P2P tools in general. Overly paranoid I suspect, but still... Just figure RS and MU are less likely to be an issue, particularly since you are only downloading in that case.

Quote:
Other than that, you'd probably have to write something yourself (if you have the skills) that does the RSS feed checking. I'd then recommend again using a web interface (possibly one optimized for iPhone or Android) to simply click those downloads that need to be queued... in whatever download management app you like and can be controlled externally using some kind of external interface or API. Actually that last bit would be initially the trickiest bit for me
AM thinking of building something LAMPish for the desktop side. Sounds like we're thinking similarly about the approach