AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-18, 10:25   Link #21
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, if 4kids only has EP1-50 they're still going to get uber anal retentive on any site hosting ANY torrents to One Piece, regardless if it's for episodes above or below 50. Of course we should be thankful that it's not ADV who got one piece. Sure, they'd do TONS better than 4kids in the R1 version, but good gauds, their legal department is scary. They'd probubly sacrifice your children and family to some digital deity or something right in front of you just for THINKING about hosting torrents to a show they have the licence to.
Old 2004-06-18, 12:12   Link #22
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Well, if 4kids only has EP1-50 they're still going to get uber anal retentive on any site hosting ANY torrents to One Piece, regardless if it's for episodes above or below 50. Of course we should be thankful that it's not ADV who got one piece. Sure, they'd do TONS better than 4kids in the R1 version, but good gauds, their legal department is scary. They'd probubly sacrifice your children and family to some digital deity or something right in front of you just for THINKING about hosting torrents to a show they have the licence to.
Well actually ADV are pretty nice. They don't sue anyone. They don't sic the police on anyone. They don't even demand that the entire site of a place that hosts their anime be taken down. They only ask that their properties be removed. You want pure evil, that's the RIAA who pratically gun down filesharers.

If they wanted to, ADV could do a lot more. But they don't. What they ask for is perfectly reasonable and I can't see why other companies don't do the same.
Old 2004-06-18, 12:58   Link #23
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. Interesting. I've always heard stories of it being much worse than that. Well, that's good if that's true. I've seen the RIAA and what it can do, so if ADV is a nice guy compared to them, I'm very happy.
Old 2004-06-18, 17:11   Link #24
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
hehe. Interesting. I've always heard stories of it being much worse than that. Well, that's good if that's true. I've seen the RIAA and what it can do, so if ADV is a nice guy compared to them, I'm very happy.
Yep, that's my worst nightmare. Anime companies going RIAA. *shudder*
Old 2004-06-18, 18:33   Link #25
[^_^x]

The RIAA catches only b00ns
Old 2004-06-19, 00:46   Link #26
LVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
*Puts on his 3 years of law-school (starting 4th year next year), face*

That's what makes it more illogical.

You guys (who maintain this forum) do not work for those who lisence these animes (well, to my knowledge you don't), nor are you legally obligated to de-enforce such common enquires as the mentioning or dicussing of lisenced fansubs with out direct links. Thusly, it is illogical and more importantly, legally unnessasary for you do any thing beyond that of the legal restraints comendeered by those who have put copyrights and lisences on said criteria. But in doing so, you have taken away an important freedom for your many members of this forum, and that is disallowing your members the unrestricted bounds that lisences and copyrights can not hold agianst you.

*turns back to his cool face*

In other words chill out. You guys won't be sued any time soon for discussing fansubs or fansubbed episodes of lisenced anime because that does not violate any law put on table by lisences.
"Rather safe than sorry" is the old adage I would use here. Regardless of whether or not anyone is breaking any rules, I dont think any of the admins here want to make it a grey area. Either its not liscensed, and we talk all about it or it is liscensed and we don't. Plain and simple and easy to enforce. If you wish to discuss about a liscensed anime in more detail, there are (literally) thousands of other forums that would gladly take you.

Please note that I dont speak for any admin, I just thought I would chime in.
Old 2004-06-19, 19:35   Link #27
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Personally I respect ADV for their work and I don't despise them for licensing something as I would most likely end up buying their DVDs.

On the issue of admin moderation:

Freedom of speech is protected by the 1st Amendment right to free speech. However, that right is not unlimited and if the speech causes significant discord and harm, then it can be limited. In this situation, the discussion of One Piece itself will not cause any disturbance. However, the potential destruction of harmony that will rise from people seeking the episodes will cause "mayhem" inside these forums. Thus I believe that the admins have the right to limit the discussion of licensed anime.

On a side note people can always PM other users for additional information as the admins can niether get penalized or enforce what goes on through the PM function.
Old 2004-06-21, 03:01   Link #28
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm not sure that the 1st amendment of the US Constitution is relevant to discussions that take place on a server which isn't located in the United States. One hint: Are those banner ads in English?

What if there isn't a protected right of free speech (or freedom of the press) in the country that hosts these forums?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-06-21 at 03:23.
Old 2004-06-22, 15:17   Link #29
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'm not sure that the 1st amendment of the US Constitution is relevant to discussions that take place on a server which isn't located in the United States. One hint: Are those banner ads in English?

What if there isn't a protected right of free speech (or freedom of the press) in the country that hosts these forums?

UMMM.... I think Denmark has even better laws than the U.S in protecting freedom of speech.
Old 2004-06-22, 17:18   Link #30
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

wow...you guys are good at English....had me fooled there. I thought those ads were because of that server problem you had a long time ago and had to get different hosts....
Old 2004-06-23, 14:08   Link #31
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
UMMM.... I think Denmark has even better laws than the U.S in protecting freedom of speech.
.de is german though, not from denmark.
Old 2004-06-23, 14:12   Link #32
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:

Then you contradict your sleves by obeying lisences and legal copyrights from other countries because those laws do not apply to this forum/website if it is hosted in another country.
Old 2004-06-23, 16:21   Link #33
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I think you are way over analyzing this. But even if you weren't the simple fact is that the Berne Convention allows all signees to prosecute for copyright violations in any other country that signed it. Since we aren't in China or Hong Kong...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-23, 16:36   Link #34
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
I think you are way over analyzing this. But even if you weren't the simple fact is that the Berne Convention allows all signees to prosecute for copyright violations in any other country that signed it. Since we aren't in China or Hong Kong...

There are many other countries that didn't sign that copyright violation thing, but besides that point I can see how you guys are legally in a bind here.
Closed Thread