Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-17, 10:55   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The future of OP the Anime

I was over in the announcements thread and happened to read this post:
Quote:
More good than bad news OP Fan. eps 195 end Skypiea arc. It seem we will have a 3-5 ep of filler. Bad but good since the anime is catching up to the manga. Only 21ch difference. Lets hope the filler will be a good one.
Ok, now this leads us into our first question. What is going to happen to the anime and/or the manga now that the anime has closed in so much on the manga. I have 3 theories that could possibly explain what may or will happen.

1. There will be a filler arc (not the 3-5ep one we already know about.) that either goes into Luffy's history more, is a recap arc, or is an entirely separate side story. (maybe they'll cover Coby for a while and how he's growing) This will last for 35-50 episodes.
2. The manga will get several "mega releases" where the OP artists go bonkers and release 1 volumn a week (I think that's 12 chapters each, correct me if I'm wrong) for the next 3 months putting the OP manga safely ahead of the anime by well over 100 chapters. (prefered method)
3. The anime will break away from the manga and go its own way. (let's hope this doesn't happen.)
4. The show will stop for 2 years to allow the manga to get worked ahead again. (doubtful, but possible. Only problem is, this would kill or damage the chances of the anime in the future)

What do you guys think? What do you think the guy who runs the OP manga will do?
Old 2004-06-17, 11:37   Link #2
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
I was over in the announcements thread and happened to read this post:

Ok, now this leads us into our first question. What is going to happen to the anime and/or the manga now that the anime has closed in so much on the manga. I have 3 theories that could possibly explain what may or will happen.

1. There will be a filler arc (not the 3-5ep one we already know about.) that either goes into Luffy's history more, is a recap arc, or is an entirely separate side story. (maybe they'll cover Coby for a while and how he's growing) This will last for 35-50 episodes.
I think Toei has already announced that there will be a third filler arc, now, after Skypiea. Try downloading episode 196 raw when it's out to see if it's indeed true. About the 3-5 episode filler episodes, I don't know if it's true - but it's a high possibility that they'll finally animate another "mini-story" (those short stories that Oda presents in every first page of a chapter), maybe Hatchi's or Wapol's; since they animated only Buggy's and Coby and Helmeppo's (as far as I know).
A side story filler arc is more likely to be produced, after all; if they don't decide to animate another "mini-story". And a recap arc would simply suck; although it's possible, I despise this idea.

Quote:
2. The manga will get several "mega releases" where the OP artists go bonkers and release 1 volumn a week (I think that's 12 chapters each, correct me if I'm wrong) for the next 3 months putting the OP manga safely ahead of the anime by well over 100 chapters. (prefered method)
That's impossible. Oda makes even the impossible to get one chapter ready per week, one volume per week is impossible. And a volume differs from title to title. For instance, one Naruto volume is roughly 9 chapters. An One Piece volume is roughly 10-11 chapters.

Quote:
3. The anime will break away from the manga and go its own way. (let's hope this doesn't happen.)
Very unlikely. One Piece anime follows the manga very closely, and I don't think the anime production team would handle a totally new story that's appart of the manga. By the simple reason that it may contradict the final and the future events Oda may present in the original story.

Quote:
4. The show will stop for 2 years to allow the manga to get worked ahead again. (doubtful, but possible. Only problem is, this would kill or damage the chances of the anime in the future)
Again, very unlikely. One Piece is still one of the most famous anime/manga in Japan. There's no reason to stop the anime if it has reached the manga when it's still immenselly popular - that's why they'll make another filler arc.

Quote:
What do you guys think? What do you think the guy who runs the OP manga will do?
Oda and his assistants will do the manga as they ever do - one chapter per week; since they're not involved in the anime production.

Summing up, only theory#1 is likely to happen, and I'm 80% sure that it will happen. It happened before they reached Grand Line, it happened after Arabasta, it'll happen again after Skypiea.
Old 2004-06-17, 12:13   Link #3
Jn183

I was just predicting that the next 3-5 eps was going to be a filler since 195 end with
Spoiler:
Like I stated, it's more of a good than bad news to have filler now since I don't want the anime to be caught up with the manga. Bring on the filler. A 20 eps filler is possible, look at Epis Arc.
Old 2004-06-17, 12:37   Link #4
LeafNinja

They'll definately need some filler, not sure how long this Marine compound arc will go. Thankfully so far the next few manga arcs after Skipiea aren't too long, so the animators could insert another filler arc after the Foxy pirates one if they wanted as well.
Old 2004-06-17, 14:48   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
That's impossible. Oda makes even the impossible to get one chapter ready per week, one volume per week is impossible. And a volume differs from title to title. For instance, one Naruto volume is roughly 9 chapters. An One Piece volume is roughly 10-11 chapters.
Why is it so hard to get one chapter a week out? I wouldn't think it would be all THAT hard. At least not that I'm aware of. Besides, if they were working ahead (like any smart artist or author doing a serial novel, manga, etc. does) like they should, doing a dump like that shouldn't be all that hard. Or is this pace being dictated by Oda himself?
Old 2004-06-17, 20:55   Link #6
Jn183

Omg... Ideas just don't drop from the sky you know. Beside Oda also had to draw the scene and stuff. It got to come out perfect or the way he thought it should be. So there will be load of revision here and there. Look at Kentaro Muira(berserk), sometime he take a month or longer to get 1 ch out. You need to think things through before you present or else you won't hear the end of all these bashing. Why did Oda did this? That scene had load of errors. How come the drawing is so sloppy compare to previous. SEEEEEE 1 ch a week is hard. Beside, Oda got a life like most of us.

Oh yeah, going ahead...well...that is when you just start out your story...you had thought of 2-3 vol ahead. But when you on Vol 31 or so...idea start to be limited. You can't use old material but you have to think of new refreshing stuff. Or else the manga gets boring. BTW, desiging 4-5 characters is hard but when you had to think up of how 15 characters had to look like in 1 ch. That is crazy shit. Each characters had to stand at a certain position and have to had a certain face expression...etc......
Old 2004-06-17, 21:39   Link #7
Randy1031

Send a message via AIM to Randy1031
I think they're going to try and work Ace's mini-story arc into this. They'll run into him at the base and then he'll tell them the story of Moda...Or not.

Anywho this Filler Arc is going to last more than 3-5 eps, Foxy Arc isn't slated until 8/25 if I remember correctly. So let the filler commence.
Old 2004-06-17, 23:13   Link #8
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

1. Thats the most likely thing to happen, the people who make the filler arcs can't really mess up the story, so it'll be a completly other side story.

2. It's impossible to do 1 volume a week.

3. No, this could cause future story problems, and will take away from One Piece's ratings most likely. Also I don't think the studio is brave enough to do this, they haven't strayed from the story so far, why start now.

4. Just...no. One Piece (like Vicious-san said) is too popular in Japan to do this. And I don't care how close the anime is to the manga, you don't take 2 years off just to get "worked ahead again".
Old 2004-06-17, 23:33   Link #9
eLstar
(^_^)v

Filler arc most likely, maybe something of around 10 episodes like the Apis arc with maybe being a little more COOLER.
Old 2004-06-17, 23:45   Link #10
Phaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1031
I think they're going to try and work Ace's mini-story arc into this. They'll run into him at the base and then he'll tell them the story of Moda...Or not.

Anywho this Filler Arc is going to last more than 3-5 eps, Foxy Arc isn't slated until 8/25 if I remember correctly. So let the filler commence.
Well what they should do is animate the Hatchi, Ace, and Wapol mini stories. That is 3 episodes right there. Then add little filler episodes and a filler arc. They need to get at least 50 chapters away from latest release. Or they would have to stretch the fights out a bit more ala DBZ.
Old 2004-06-17, 23:56   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. Dark Nin, I figured #1 was the most likely of all the things that would happen, but just for fairness sake I had to include the other items too.
Closed Thread