AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-02-20, 02:06   Link #1
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
shenmue

i played the first to parts of this game and it was simply one of the best games i have ever played it has a great story great graphics nice gameplay i hope i could get opinions on this game

also i wish to know whatever happened to part 3 i heard rumors about it coming out on xbox 1-2 years ago but yestyerday i checked both ign and gamespot and i found nothing about it. this game just has one of the worst luck ever i mean just when it made a big hit on dreamcast, dreamcast died and when part 2 made a great hit on xbox the developers decided to not make another part of the series i mean wtf we havent reached half of the story yet it was originaly supposed to be 20 chapter and the only one released were the first 4-6 chapter so what will happen next?
Old 2004-02-20, 03:01   Link #2
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

I'm a huge fan of Shenmue as well, but I doubt we'll get a part three until 2006 or later, if we even get it at all. The main problem was the fall of the Dreamcast. The first game did reasonably well on the system, both in the U.S. and Japan, but the second, however, didn't have enough of a foothold, as the system was dying in the U.S. at it's time of release. Though the Japanese version had done semi-decent, the only hope for a North American release was to port it to another platform. Unfortunately, Yu Suzuki chose the wrong system, and the X-box version of Shenmue II reached a very limited audience and wasn't able to get the recognition it deserved, or the sales figures, which puts us where we are now... waiting for episode 3 of what was supposed to be a 6 episode series. I've heard that Suzuki still intends to continue with things though, but the next game might also end up being an X-box exclusive again... I want it on PS2...

For those who don't know, Shenmue is basically a real-life simulator, with a pretty meaty story behind it. You can do practically anything you want in the game, from buying coffee from vending machines, raising a small kitten, go shopping, and even go to the arcade. The amount of depth in these games is simply unreal, and I suggest that anyone that hasn't done so, go out and pick up the first game if you have a Dreamcast. I got the Japanese version of the game for about $3.00, so I can't imagine money would be much of an obstacle. Also, if you enjoyed the first one and didn't want to buy an X-box just for the second one, never fear, for the European version can be played in Japanese with English subtitles on your Dreamcast provided you get a boot disc. This can be a bit expensive, though. The nice thing about the X-box version, though, is that it includes the Shenmue movie DVD. This is basically a digest of everything that happened in the first Shenmue game. It was actually shown (in ENGLISH!!!) in Japanese theaters.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-20, 04:16   Link #3
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
and just to add a bit to what Seifer_us description, the story revolves mosly about martial arts and it has a fighting system very similar to that of virtual fighter.

and to tell u the trueth the only reason i bought my xbox is to play this game this game and man was it worth it
Old 2004-02-20, 04:37   Link #4
MrMonkey
Meeeeeeee!!

^ Too right

I was one of the lucky european people who got to play the second game on DC with the japanese voice acting, instead of the decidedly dodgy english one, and I really hope that when we do finally see Shenmue 3, they give the option to use the japanese voices.

For those who don't know, the english voice acting for the first game was down right comical at times, VERY wooden with lots of unnatural pauses in the middle of sentences (presumably) in order to fit the lip sync. The second game (xbox version, with english voice acting) was a little better, but still bad. For an example, check out this page. It has a few soundbites of the dodgy voices you can listen too.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the game, adore it in fact. But after playing Shenmue 2 on DC, I realised how much I hate the english voice acting. Lucky Seifer_us being able to play the japanese Shenmue 1 *envy*
MrMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote