AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-05-14, 09:13   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Japanese Rainwater Drainage System (with pics)

I've heard of the Japanese liking things big, but this thing is huge!! Look at the picture with the city bus in it or the construction worker used to give you a general idea of the scale of this rainwater drainage system.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 14:56   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

It's not loading. Post it here.
Old 2006-05-14, 19:58   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

It'll load. It's just being beaten to death by Digg and Slashdot. Give it time and it'll load.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 00:43   Link #4
Cruzz
Europeon

So where did the rainwater drainage thing come? Straight from the introduction on the page, it's for funneling flood water from minor rivers into Edogawa.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:19   Link #5
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

LoL, i must be quite sad but i find that cool, always loved structures whatever their reason.
Must be for draining vast amounts of water into the rivers quickly, not much rainfall over the year but lots in a short time like in LA.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:45   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

A secondary purpose for this underground drainage system is an underground bunker to evacuate mass amounts of people out of the Metro Tokyo area in an event of a disaster. It also serves as a means for SDF forces to bring in much needed manpower and supplies into the city when all the freeways up above have been changed to go in one direction (no inbound, all have been changed for outbound traffic only).

Hey, if you are going to spend billions of taxpayers' money, might as well build it with secondary and tertiary purposes in mind as well.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:57   Link #7
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
A secondary purpose for this underground drainage system is an underground bunker to evacuate mass amounts of people out of the Metro Tokyo area in an event of a disaster. It also serves as a means for SDF forces to bring in much needed manpower and supplies into the city when all the freeways up above have been changed to go in one direction (no inbound, all have been changed for outbound traffic only).

Hey, if you are going to spend billions of taxpayers' money, might as well build it with secondary and tertiary purposes in mind as well.

Pretty smart idea, actually.

To bad americans were not so far thinking.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 12:07   Link #8
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Japan = smart people. America = ... ... ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 12:17   Link #9
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Japan = smart people. America = ... ... ...
Very brilliant. The foundations of modern Japan was America.
Old 2006-05-17, 12:56   Link #10
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

does any1 else have any pics of great feats of engineering, be it cool, massive or just very different.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 15:58   Link #11
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri

I'm pretty sure that americans have those somewhere...I mean in the movie Die Hard 3 a part of the movie did take place in something very similar to that (although not as big from what i remember). I know it's just a movie...but i doubt that the entire area in the movie was created from scratch.
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 01:12   Link #12
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri

Actually, Americans do pretty well with their planning, especially in modern times. See how "dark fiber" works for laying down wires, and such.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 13:21   Link #13
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Actually, Americans do pretty well with their planning, especially in modern times. See how "dark fiber" works for laying down wires, and such.

I was refering to a large underwater stormwater system that has the double use of facilitating emergency entry or exit from the area.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 13:41   Link #14
Ending

Just TRY clogging down those pipes. Would require more than a hanful of sheit, but I guess Tokyo (IIRC) has more than a hanful of people too.

They look pretty kewl, though.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 14:21   Link #15
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Looking at this I have flashbacks of Patlabor 2 the movie and also that large shaft that goes from the top-side world to the underground world of Technolyze....

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 01:24   Link #16
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It sorta reminds me of those horror shows that are always on Sci Fi. ^_^ Killer Cobras, Killer Lizards, Killer Bugs, Killer anything.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 04:39   Link #17
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

what is all this america bashing? most of the technology that made japan a hitech country was licensed to japan from america after WWII in the first place.

anyway, what makes you think NY city doesnt have that stuff? of course it does. it may not be as big or circular, but why would u want a giant circular shaft in the middle of the city anyway unless it doubles as a Mazinger landing pad? pretty neat pics though.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 09:14   Link #18
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai
It sorta reminds me of those horror shows that are always on Sci Fi. ^_^ Killer Cobras, Killer Lizards, Killer Bugs, Killer anything.
It looks like a good place to stage a movie, like one where "a kid flushes small pet alligator down toilet and many years later it has grown to become a huge mutant monster". It came from below...but it didn't last long...weeks later Ko Gals are shown walking around with new alligator purses, belts, and shoes.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote