View Single Post
Old 2004-06-21, 23:40   Link #96
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Actually that is a real dillemma for Japanese salarymen. I can't count how many times I have had to go out drinking with my boss as part of "social duty" after work when I want to come home.

Like I said before, Japan is a crappy society when it comes down to what restrictions that your boss can place on you even after work - and if you refuse, you can be reprimanded and you have little say what to do. Mandatory overtime, mandatory "after hour" service and socialization with your co-workers, etc etc. And the same shit happens day after day. All I want to do is clock out at 5:00PM, return home, take a nice shower and relax. But no...my boss expects me to work well into 6-7PM, expects me and my co-workers to go out with him to drink and eat at the local izakaya, etc. etc. Why the fuck should I have to pay for beer (which I abhor since I hate barley) and food when I didn't want to come here in the first place? It's because I don't want to get fired nor reprimanded on my job.

Such things are one of the main reasons (other than I don't have any special someone) that I don't see myself being married anytime soon... I've seen my father come home drunk from work because he was forced to by his superiors while my mother was waiting past 11PM countless of times and it isn't a good sight to see.

Why do I keep on living this life? Perhaps, as I said before, is because I have an escape from reality - anime and ero-games.

Wow, I guess thats the one thing thats the same no matter where you go. At least I never had to socialize with my boss after work. While you can get stuck working the crappy hours (exempt employee status SUCKS) your boss cant force you to hang out with him after hours. Hell my last boss would have liked it if we had, since we couldnt stand him.

But I'm in the same boat as you on the lifestyle thing. After getting laid off just before 9/11, I am working a job for 1/3rd of what I used to make, in a dying town in the middle of nowhere. So I to go for the anime/games route and contemplate where to find a woman that doesnt weigh 300 pounds or have 4 kids. (Note to you kids reading, 30ish and single sucks, you were warned!)

After finally trying some of the ero-games, I have liked most of the one I have tried, but its pretty obvious that to really get into the market, you must know Japanese, and where I am, thats not going to happen except by self-study.

I do find its interesting that the ero-games I have seen have so much tied up into the story and characters, which is NOT like most conventional games. Not that I dont think there have been good games here, but it is interesting to compare the focus on story vs flash that these two genres have.

As alienating and lonely as modern society is, it is surprising that these types of games havent been more popular here yet. I guess time will tell.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote