View Single Post
Old 2022-04-23, 21:42   Link #10
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I rather enjoyed Magia Record: it shows that the possibility of overcoming fate exists, and it makes sense the animated adaptation would take the route it did (I've got my own, lengthier set of thoughts here). Games are meant to put the power in the players' hands, after all; by reintroducing the despair and struggle, Magia Record ends up staying true to the aesthetic of the original, while at the same time, suggesting that by the events of the movie, Homura and Madoka might actually be able to get a definitive ending.
What makes the anime different from the game has nothing to do with the players being at control or whatnot. It's mostly a difference of themes and tone. The game never tried to be Madoka 2.0. It wanted to do its own thing, exploring different things. Unlike Madoka, MagiReco embraced its maho shoujo roots. Things like the power of friendship actually made a difference. That was the whole point.

The adaptation betrayed MagiReco's core themes in order to make it feel more like Madoka. I get that some people could be fine with that. But it robed MagiReco from being its own thing.

And BTW, one thing that anime-only viewers will never know is that MagiReco wasn't supposed to be one of Homura's failed loops. In the game, the origin of the MagiReco world is more interesting than that.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2022-04-23 at 21:53.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote