View Single Post
Old 2017-01-26, 22:08   Link #81
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Not a problem at all. In fact, I was just listening to ASN again, and I'm also picking up vibes of 80s Metallica in the intro as well. The moment I stumbled upon the song in an event when I first started playing LLSIF was the moment I knew I was hooked.

The fact that the songwriters are willing to incorporate plenty of musical influences into the songs is one of the reasons why I love the Love Live franchise in general.
The incorporation of a wide range of musical influence, I feel is something that can keep the Love Live Franchise going, and making each iteration of the franchise and each new group feel distinct from one another. A willingness to play in a wider range of genre and musical material provides much more opportunity for each group to distinctively develop their own identity

I'm hoping that Thrilling One Way is not the furthest into heavy music they take Aqours into. It is hard to pinpoint exactly why, but I feel that the differences between Aqours and Muse come out most strongly in those genres outside of the traditional idol fare. To me, Daydream Warriors and Thrilling One Way is uniquely Aqours (even when compared to Daring! or After School Navigators, the closest comparable Muse song I can think of out of the top of my head), while more "normal" pieces like "Is your Heart Shining?" feels as if it could easily be sung by Muse without much of a difference.

Then again, Aqours started feeling like a distinct group to me, with Mijuku Dreamers. It might actually have been a deliberate strategy, to start Aqours out to resemble Muse and gradually have them perform songs that distinguish them from Muse.

I actually wouldn't be surprised, if it turns out that the next Guilty Kiss song due to come out with the BDs might be even heavier than Thrilling One Way.

Ultimately, I think the idea of each group having to find their own identity distinct from Love Live, is both going to be a theme within the "narrative" of Love Live (so the next group will take a season to realize the need to distinguish themselves from Aqours, just as Aqours took a season to distinguish themselves in Muse), and in actual musical output.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote