View Single Post
Old 2009-02-08, 08:36   Link #49
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
But why would a change of medium help this? People are mean in forums too. I don't think the nature of IRC makes moderators any more evil than normal.
As I said
Quote:
Things like that somedays make me think IRC's pretty useless, (may as well send an email) but it's more the behaviour and personal choice of each group and their members than the media itself.
Didn't mention a change of medium.
There are many ways of using IRC, as are there many ways IRC is used. The example I gave is a valid one, it happens as a case where not everyone uses it for instantaneous communication at least on the fansubbing front. I dunno much about regular chats for TV shows and other channels on the hundreds of servers that exist for this media, just that as you mentioned earlier, it isn't necessarily a 'right or wrong' way of using it, there are good and bad points to it, but some of the difficulties or 'getting used' to how things are run sometimes intimidate a few.
In relation to the topic question, perhaps it feels 'safer' to simply leech of bots and be on your merry way than to chat and hang out on IRC rooms with all the jazz involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Mystique: In short what it comes down to is that IRC is not for you, end of topic, move on, drop it FFS already.
Or simply as someone told me earlier in reference to IRC channels tho,
'Don't like what you see, simply leave.'
No one's got a gun to your head to read the stuff written here either.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote