View Single Post
Old 2009-02-08, 06:31   Link #46
TGEN
Far out, man!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
I don't think there is a set right or wrong way to use it, rather an 'ideal' way perhaps?
It was as npcomplete was saying, sometimes he feels the need to reply fast (so do I, tbh) because it is a form of instant messaging, but there are plenty of fansubbers who are more than happy to have email/forum like slow replies and communication over IRC.
To each their own, I guess.
What I do find difficult somedays is to pop into a fansub channel where you want to contact an OP about some issue on the website. (Or ask a question that the FAQ doesn't answer)
Can't PM an OP, most will ban you.
Drop a message in the channel, chances are that no one answers at all and if they do hours later, it's usually lost within a sea of server messages and other random chat, and an OP won't pm you either.
Things like that somedays make me think IRC's pretty useless, (may as well send an email) but it's more the behaviour and personal choice of each group and their members than the media itself.
People who ban you for PMing them aren't worth your time anyway. It doesn't make sense, much like awaynicks and other forms of public away, colourful spam messages, /amsg, /ame or /foreach, and all the other things people new to IRC tend to waste their time on. But I'd be surprised if indeed the majority of ops in fansub channels banned on PM. As for the sea of server messages, joins, parts and quits, you can perfectly ignore those. I know I do. IRC might be useless in the eyes of people new to it, but having been using it since '95, I still haven't seen an alternative beating it at its game.
TGEN is offline   Reply With Quote