View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 03:43   Link #82
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Dallas was a VERY popular American TV show back in the 80s.

However, Season 8 was very, very disliked by the fans. Really disliked.

So in order to save their butts, the writers decided to pull the biggest Deus ex machina in the history of American TV... In the last minute of the last episode of the season, one of the main characters wakes up in bed and it turns out all of Season 8 was a dream.

People just dropped their jaws. It totally reversed everything that happened during the season. Dead people came back... It was quite comical. The worst thing was that it left a huge gap in the story. Dallas seasons took place over the course of one year. So the 1981-1982 season took place from 1981-1982. Dates, places, fads, etc. were all featured as if the show was really happening then. Then when Season 8 was just nullified by the deus ex machina it left a one-year gap in the story when season 9 began. No one knew what was going on because, of course, everything that happened in season 8 was just a dream.
I've also heard that Knots Landing, a spinoff of Dallas, decided not to reset their show as a dream so S8 of Dallas did happen from them and managed to stick that show into alternate reality .

Anyway, saying GSD is the worst thing that has ever happened in all of history is hyperbole in the extreme as far as I'm concerned. As it was, Clusters Edge, another show airing that the time, had four times the clips of GSD, worse animation (or lack of - most episodes had two to three still scenes), an even sillier plot, and made GSD look like a classic that should have won awards . However, since no one seemed to be following CS, no one ended up caring in the online forums or noticing Sunrise was putting out worse "cr*p" with that show, in my opinion.

I liked GSD - not a classic IMO and it had serious problems but the reality is there is worse out there. Claiming there isn't makes posters sound like they have no life outside of Gundam in my eyes. There are plenty of posters who have expressed their dislike for GSD in much better ways without making over the top statements.
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote