View Single Post
Old 2007-03-17, 18:07   Link #182
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by harukamae View Post
After all the hype I heard about this series, I was very disappointed when I finished it the other day. The animation was BEAUTIFUL, the music was wonderful, the plot COULD HAVE BEEN awesome (I liked the concept), but the writing and the characters were awful, unrelatable, and FLAT FLAT FLAT!
I suppose this is just one of those things that depends on one's range of experience. I've known a few Misuzus over the years -- girls back in my school days, women now, who may not have been bearing the burden of a thousand-year-old curse, but who were nevertheless horribly broken inside as the result of events in their past. I see them in her every time I watch this series, and I see my own failure to understand and my complete inability to help them in Yukito. I can even see some of myself in her...my family moved around a lot when I was young, and I never went to the same school two years in a row until sixth grade, so I started out every year as the weird new kid who didn't know anybody or have any friends. As I said, it's a matter of personal experience, but I'd hardly call her a flat or unsympathetic character.

Likewise for the other characters...are they happy, normal, fully-rounded human beings? Of course not. But can they serve as archetypes expressing some of the different types of brokenness that can exist in people in the real world? Absolutely.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote