View Single Post
Old 2007-03-02, 15:09   Link #35
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
There is also a catch. ADV removes the extras from the thinpaks. If you do not mind this, then the thinpaks may be cheaper. Your math is right, but it depends on the series. For some series, this is NOT a sale. The price is the same or more expensive than the thinpaks. If you don't mind the lack of extras, the thinpaks might be the way to go. This is deal but not a great one. (Angelic layer comes to mind where the thinpak is going for ~$28.)
ADV only started doing this recently (Chrono Crusade was the first one, I believe) - so some of these series would actually have all the special features in the thinpack. Personally I generally don't care about the special features, I generally prefer thinpacks because I only have so much shelf space and thinpacks leave more of that space open for other stuff, but I'm not turning away a better deal to keep them, and your point is still very valid. A lot of those series have thinpacks where the special features have been removed.
And you're correct, some of them would be cheaper in thinpack (the one I was thinking of when i wrote the post was Rune Soldier, which has seven discs and the thinpack is approx $28). I didn't mention that on purpose though because I think it only works out that way for a small number of series. For reference, the more likely lack of a deal is when you're buying something like Elfen Lied - the thinpack is approximately $25 and the four discs add up to be $20. However, for some things (every volume of Gatchaman was up there last I saw) it's a great deal. So it really depends (which is, I think, what we're both saying).

I just meant for people not to automatically dismiss it because it was ADV. There are some pretty good deals in there.

EDIT: Also, thanks to whichever mod moved this. I knew this thread existed somewhere yesterday (when I made my order I wanted to put it up so other people would know about it), but I couldn't find it and didn't have time to do an in-depth search.