Thread: G Gundam
View Single Post
Old 2007-02-08, 18:41   Link #36
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima
Hmm...if the devil gundam has cells...it's an organic robot that can regenerate and self resurect. Can it be also classified as a humanoid robot similar to Eva and others? But a Gundam is a Gundam it's still a semi realistic robot no classified as RR.
As brightman said, the DG cells are mechanical, so Devil Gundam wouldn't count as an organic machine. However, I don't even think that the classification is really all that important at all. After all, the abilities and functions of a machine are rather more important than its nomenclature.

As for the Real Robot bit, based on the Super Robot Wars classification, most Gundams count as Real Robots. However, there often isn't a whole lot of difference in terms of realism between Gundams and some Super Robots. For example, There's nothing even vaguely realistic about forcefields powered by the souls of dead people. That's why I don't think that such a dichotomy is all that meaningful outside of being used in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derringer
You have got to be kidding me. Encyclopedias and articles covering anime have always pointed out Mobile Suit Gundam as one of the titles that ushered in the "real robot" genre. There's a VERY obvious difference between the Getter Robo and the Mobile Suit Gundam.
It's true that Mobile Suit Gundam was the first of the more realistic mecha shows. However, the gist of my argument is quite different: the distinction between Super Robots and Real Robots (and I believe the etymology of "Real Robot" to begin with) was first posited by Super Robot Wars as a game mechanic. While there's a big difference between Getter Robo and the RX-78, there's also a big difference between Zeta Gundam and a Patlabor, and there's not a whole lot of difference between ZZ and some of the Godannar machines.