View Single Post
Old 2006-12-03, 20:27   Link #33
Godaiger
Crossover Yuusha Godaiger

My views on the ZZ Gundam Issue

ZZ Gundam has for years been a target of critism by serious Gundam fans, true its not as good as MSG, Zeta or V, however I kinda like it for trying to be different than the other MSG shows.

Contrast to what many Gundam fans believe, Tomino wasn't put in charge the storyline midway of ZZ, he was working since it started, as part of Tomino's tendencies to follow up a tragedy with a comedy, this nominal sequel to Zeta Gundam struck a much lighter, often comical, tone, in contrast to its predecessor's brooding melodrama, which is why they used Anime Ja Nai (It's Not Anime) as the first opening for it reflected the campiness of the first half of the series. The second half of the series does return to a more serious tone while sporting a more somber opening theme song.

A lot of serious Gundam fans hate the main character Jaudu Ashta (mostly in the first half), not only because he was sort of a goofball in the begining but because he wasn't the "Typical" Gundam hero like Amuro Ray or Camile Bidan, come on just because he didn't start out as a tragic character doesn't make him a lousy Gundam character, and a lot of fans agree with me, Jaudu was ranked 20 of the MSG Males Rank in The monthly Gundam power rankings in Gundam Ace in like 2003 or 2004. True he's not as popular as characters like Char, Amuro or Camile but he's still popular and Tomino himself once said he considered Jaudu as the strongest Newtype. I prefer Jaudu over Kira (sorry SEED fans, I kinda like SEED).

Now about the whole Zeta movies rectoning ZZ out of continuity, I don't consider it canon not just because it recton ZZ but because I heard it also retconned Char's Counterattack out of continuity.
Godaiger is offline   Reply With Quote