View Single Post
Old 2006-12-03, 12:56   Link #90
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Set an example for what ? For the fact that an 11 can serve well for the empire army even if it means pointing the gun to his people ? Or that they can live together peacefully like the cowboys and their cattle, where the cattle are still loyalty even he is about to be executed (and seeing many of his fellows - innocent or not - executed) ? I dunno that he went back is really right or wrong decision, but I do agree with that choice, which doesn't mean that I agree with his whole "choice"

Yes, the only reason that makes him join the army is because we need an action hero here. Technically speaking (borrowing from the one in previous posts ^_^), it is like impossible for a solder not to make any calsualty, especially fighting in a city then those may include both enemy and innocents. (@ Bahamut89: Besides, according to your post then the "enemy" is the enemy of Britanian -> his enemy is the enemy of the Britanian empire ?)

And it seems I need to repeat that the reason why he only killed a few "enemy" people is just because of the producer's will. It's micracle (=producer's will) that he can keep this till the end. I think he is even more "godlike" than Kira as even the type of "defending" Kira still has to kill a lot, while this "attacking" Suzaku doesn't ^_^
Well said. Possibly the most common excuse for people serving totalitarian regimes who are in somewhat important positions is "I am trying to change things from within the system" which in 99% of the cases means "I want to live a comfortable life and the ends justify the means, so I am happy to serve this tyrant". Suzaku's strategy would never work in the real world, he would end up hated by both sides and faced with impossible choices every other day. Whatever he does, only a miracle (in other words a badly written script) would make his "example" meaningful for anyone other than himself.

Quote:
I dont know, but there must have been some other avenues of choice to take other than just choosing the army. I mean, what about becoming a politician, an influential talk show host, a famous scientist? All these occupations carry some weight, so it's ridiculous to think that a person would try and carry out 'peaceful' change by joining the army. Especially when you know that the army has been used to kill civilians and enemy countries. Of course, it's even worse when if you think about it enough, you'll end up realising that to get anywhere in the army, you'll have to actually condone the current actions of the army and perhaps even perform some of those said actions. So in reality, not only would one be selling away their moralistic principles in doing so, but also end up becoming one of those they hated.

But then again, I forget that this is an anime and that Suzaku is a Kira so it'll probably work out (miraculously) for him in the end through the power of lancelots plot-twisting mechanism.
Exactly. Things almost always work out in the end for characters like Suzaku, never mind the number of mistakes they make or the fact that they are usually completely out of touch with reality.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote