View Single Post
Old 2006-09-27, 04:28   Link #35
wao
OK.

Geass has been the topic of many conversations about anime broadcasting among some otaku, I think. I mean, to repeat myself, why the hell is a show like this airing at 1 am?...

But well, I guess there are a few factors:

-The relative failure of Blood+
-The very strong competitor it has at 6pm on NHK - Major
-The pressure to do certain things at 6pm versus broadcasting at 1pm

Even then, it seems as if a 1pm timeslot would benefit a more mature-sounding anime like Ayakashi Ayashi. And if they're worried about holding up against Major, then wouldn't Geass be the logical choice since it's even got CLAMP?

Perhaps they're relying heavily on otaku - after all, it's a nationwide broadcast if I'm not wrong so they've got everyone's potential eyeballs - rather than kids and otaku (if it was at 6pm), which is risky because there's the competition of MAJOR. Plus, there aren't any shows with comparable clout airing at 1am on other stations (I'm not very sure of this, I'm just guessing + repeating what I saw somewhere)

But then why go through so much towards getting FLOW and CLAMP and all? Well maybe they figure that the returns would be worth it - and perhaps they want to bring over the "somewhat anime fan" kind of audience... And I guess to make up for the lack of the kid's audience they're going to put more elements in the show that will appeal to otaku, which wouldn't be airable at 6pm.

It could go one way - have a lot of gratituous fanservice or stupid things or tons of obviously and purposely moe characters; or it could provide a more chilling and brutal picture of what's going on in the Geass world, and touch better on issues that are sensitive among the nation such as nationalism.

No point second-guessing the producers, but hey, it's fun...

And I think generally shows that are showed later would have less of the producer's influence - because they're not as pressured as prime-time producers to deal with so many tie-ups and what not - but there are probably exceptions: for example, perhaps popular properties like Kanon and Shuffle... because they probably must make sure that it panders well to otaku/serves as a good advertisement...
And also things like Noitanima (the producer influence is very strong here, but not always a bad thing)