View Single Post
Old 2006-08-26, 16:43   Link #71
4Tran

I don't know how much of a role the order one watches shows in has to do with how much one likes that show. For example, Turn A is the very last Gundam show I have seen so far, but it's still my second favorite (if it hadn't messed up the ending, it would have been my favorite). I think that this criteria is more dependent on temperament. Some people put a lot of stock on originality, and may feel as if a later work is intruding upon their memory of a treasured favorite. Others may not give a damn, and only care about how well a show is executed. It's probably easier to simply put the difference of opinion on Zeta on a case of personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Tomino does have some strange issues regarding the role of women and children and death in conflict, which is really the only issue I have with his works, he's definetly not altogether there and it shows sometimes in his work. For the most part though Zeta was a great sci-fi epic, but I can't even see a Gundam fanatic like myself calling Gundam an accurate portrayal of war, its a show thats there to entertain and make us think a little bit about some of the issues regarding war, some do a bit better than others.
I heartily agree here. There were certainly a few interesting female characters in Zeta, but it didn't seem as if the creators had any idea what to do with them. Instead of using interesting dialogue to develop them as characters, it seems as if they decided to create "roles", and simply have the characters fill them. There were a lot of missed opportunities, particularly for Haman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
The quote is simply there to illustrate how numb I was while watching Zeta Gundam and Tomino's killing spree. I didn't care, therefore, its not a 'tragedy'. It was a mere 'statistic', with people getting bombed left n' right. They were mere numbers, nothing for me to be sympathetic or sorry for. Unless Tomino wanted to show us some 'creativity' in the art of mass destruction, though I doubt that was the goal he tried to attain.
I agree with this. To this date, I have no idea why most of those deaths were there at all, or what they were supposed to accomplish. It didn't help that most of them occurred at the very end, where the storytelling was at its most befuddled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
CCA is dumb for what it did to Char after everything he learned in Zeta. I hate that aspect of the film immensely as Char, Amuro and Bright are the only reasons worth watching UC for besides interesting battle choreography. I will blast Zeta till the cows come home because it was an infinite let down, but I do respect the development of Quattro. CCA version of Char, code named "Hey! I'm a bad guy again!" pissed me off so much. Besides that I think it was a decent film and I like the ending to the Federation vs Zeon story line.
Quattro's maturity, when it came to Amuro, was one of the highlights of Zeta. I was rather amazed that Tomino decided to throw away all that character development (without any explanation!) in Char's Counterattack. Luckily, I watched CCA before finishing Zeta, or I would have been far more disappointed. As it was, at the time, I thought that despite it's well-animated action, it was still a extremely poor story. Now, my opinion of it is a little lower.

By the way, Obi-Wan, my favorite Gundam show is Victory, and it seems as if it's your least favorite – why haven't we ever had any issues over that?