Thread: Crunchyroll Shumatsu train doko he iku?
View Single Post
Old 2024-05-07, 22:01   Link #76
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Holy crap...Shizuru sucks! I legitimately don't care if there was some subconscious motive in a fear of Yoko and Shizuru going in separate directions if Yoko chased her dreams. That was one of the biggest jerk friend moments I've seen in a while. She didn't just put down Yoko's dreams she; spat on them, lit them on fire, and threw a grenade on them to make sure they were dead!
All true. But not remarkable. Anyone who has had any kind of big dream, be it artistic, musical, scientific, literary... whatever... has been on the receiving end of that kind of talk. If you think it's bad coming from a trusted friend, imagine what it's like coming from a parent or some other family member. In my case, I got it from my mom. It wasn't mean or hostile or anything, just a mom worrying that her oldest child is going to be okay... but it didn't really get 100% resolved until just a couple of years before she passed.

And I'm speaking as an American. I can only imagine how much more common it is in a society where one of the proverbs is "The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down."
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote