View Single Post
Old 2024-04-26, 14:04   Link #85
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I mean, Megumin is essentially just a one note character that is only popular because of her explosion magic, it doesn't help that her entire race is also just as one note with their chunnibyou syndrome, she works only because she is around the others and her people only worked for the one movie, focusing on them and expecting variety was always doomed to fail.

Meanwhile, you have Kazuma over here who is enough of a character by himself that if any of the others weren't around he would just be equally as entertaining no matter who the cast surrounding his was, this show could have easily been about him joining the Demon Lords army as one of its soldiers or generals and it would have been equally as hilarious, heck, this entire show could have taken place back on Earth and been set in his school and it would still be hilarious to follow him around.
I'd have to disagree. I think the big thing that makes Megumin so popular isn't "she make things go BOOM", but rather how she plays off of other characters, especially Kazuma. She's skilled at turning things around, sensitive enough to react strongly to his antics but independent and strong-willed enough to stand up and fight rather than just get upset or back down. When she sees a way to manipulate things to her favor, she takes it (seen right at the beginning when Kazuma tries to dump her and she, hearing women suggest he'd done something obscene, immediately starts shouting offers to play into that until Kazuma accepts just to avoid further wrecking his reputation). Yeah, she is over-the-top with her Chuunibyou and her obsession with that one spell, but she has more to her than that and complements Kazuma very well. She's frankly the only one that can properly fight with him on equal terms.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote