View Single Post
Old 2024-01-24, 21:25   Link #11
Kakkou
Tch.

While I won't deny that there are probably a few good omegaverse stories in the genre, it's also a lazy excuse for authors to bring back the old BL trope of semes being unable to resist assaulting the uke or the latter being utterly helpless to resist his advance, now with a fresh coat of "pheromones" to justify it. They have the chance to gloss over writing feelings and pass a lot of it off to biology. The mpreg aspect is often never the main focus, if at all, usually reduced to flavouring for the setting or the pregnancies happening off page before or after the story, the process itself largely unexplored. Personally, omegaverse is at its least head scratching and most fitting when applied to beastmen BL. That setup is perfect for those.

Again, there are bound to be exceptions and good stories out there, and I would normally just ignore anything omegaverse and continue looking for BL that I like, but BL TV anime are not only rare these days, they're near extinction as BL drama adaptations are now the preferred choice and what's left of BL anime shift towards movie/OVA format. So the thought of omegaverse taking up this already niche format is infuriating. There is so much more that could have taken precedence, so many more two men and a child BL.

But, eh, at least it's not domsubverse, which is all the bad/lazy things about omegaverse made worse. Not yet, anyway. Also, Ishihira has no reason to ever be directing BL anime despite repeatedly being given the chance to but again, at least he's not actually touching something I'd be mortified to see his name on this time.