View Single Post
Old 2024-03-12, 06:34   Link #1350
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
After 40+ hours, I have to say the game has completely exceeded my absurdly high expectations. I still don't like the fact World Intels are the same in every Region (only protorelic mini-games change), variety would have been nice. That said, this is offset by the sheer scale of the game, the art direction, and the level design. Each region feels good to explore and has its own gimmicks. And there is a real sense of wonder seeing all those legendary areas from the original remade with modern graphics. No other remake has made me feel as strongly about that, and I'm not even an old FFVII fan (I first played it after Advent Children was released, had only played VIII onward until then). There is just such a massive gap. This is the first time a Final Fantasy title has managed to successfully create an open world since the PSX era. XII got close but still didn't have stuff like vehicles.

The gap doesn't only apply to graphics either. The narrative has also been improved a lot. Characters like Tifa are also fleshed out a lot more. I'm also liking the deviations from the original timeline

Spoiler for chapter 9:

Made me even more curious to see how the rest of the game will play out. But I'm still taking my time.

I'm impressed they managed to complete this game in only 4 years. I know they had assets from Remake, but they only account for a relatively small percentage of Rebirth. Makes me pretty hopeful we won't have to wait too long for the final game, since there's a ton of assets there'll be able to re-use. I doubt they're going to do something risky like changing engines.
I heard this is why they made it PS5 exclusive. Guess the hardware is pretty good or something. Then again, I can see steam port coming. Still, yeah it's surprising how they developed the world. Like a Dragon tends to recycle stuff from previous games like Kamurocho or nearby areas.