View Single Post
Old 2023-10-28, 00:39   Link #73
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
The author himself apparently described Naofumi as a "mirror", returning treatments as they're given.
You know, this actually is an interesting way of looking at Naofumi, including his character flaws. With this in mind, it can answer why he isn't willing to take a firm "stance" on certain problematic issues and doesn't want to be a leader of societal change -- because, at a symbolic level, he's just a "shield" and not a sword. That said, if that's really the intention, it's difficult to have that come across properly and not have the protagonist seem morally questionable -- I guess the argument, as you said, is that this just reflects the ugliness of the world around them. The final turning point, then, would be when he finally realizes that (with the help of his friends) he's not "just" a metaphorical shield anymore and can do more than just reflect (hence "The Rising of the Shield Hero," I suppose). At least it's certainly an interesting way of framing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Another day, another repeat of the same old discussion. People apparently never get tired of saying the same things over and over. Like we're three seasons in, is there a reason people just haven't dropped this show yet?
I mean, things can be overall worth watching but still have weaknesses, and its bound to come up again when those issues recur in the story itself. And, like, it's not like the discussion in this thread was so fast-paced that it's bogging anything down between episodes. If you find it tedious, you may just ignore it without comment.