View Single Post
Old 2023-10-26, 11:57   Link #51
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
You mean that knight (Eclair) who is a direct subordinate to Naofumi (and his friend) and the squad which is made up by soldiers who directly venerate Naofumi as the Shield Hero? I kinda doubt that the execution of the noble would have made the news under those circumstances. But whatever, plot convenience.
Have you never heard of Lawful Good? Eclair is Naofumi's subordinate, but she's also a soldier of the kingdom under the Queen. I for one find it hard to buy that she'd feel right covering things up.

Quote:
The point is that he isn't even trying to abolish slavery, something he has the standing to at least try to do, but instead feeds further into the system. It's not the same situation as with Rudy in Mushoku Tensei, who does not have the social standing (and doesn't want it) to change how things get done in his fantasy world. Naofumi is an integral part of this worlds entire survival, is well recognized by multiple heads of state and is about the only person among the four heroes who gets shit done. If he'd put his foot down, he'd get somewhere. But that is the edgelordy part of Naofumi's personality I never really jive with, he is at times a selfish bastard, who goes "got mine, fuck the rest".
For starters, if I understand right, slavery HAS been abolished. There are still illegal slavers out there, but they've been forced to work underground or in more lawless locations. The trader himself has to pick and choose where he works as a result. And I'd say you're seriously overstating Naofumi's political power. The Queen isn't able to fully eradicate slavery, so what makes you think a Hero that many in their nation still revile as the devil incarnate can? Not to mention that the reason he has as much standing as he does is because they're in a time of CRISIS. It's not going to be very long at all before they face a new enemy that by all accounts will be at least if not far more powerful than the one that nearly crushed him and all his allies, killing countless people in the process. He's got bigger things on his mind than the remnants of a corrupt institution, things like gathering as many allies as his standing and finances currently DO allow him to gather, keeping them safe, and training as many of them as he can to be able to fight at his side. And if achieving his more pressing goals means he has to work with unsavory people in vile trades, then he'll do so.

This's my problem. People keep saying nonsense like "He's not even TRYING to stop this thing", completely ignoring the size of what they want him to stop, the amount of time and effort it'd take to even make an attempt, and the fact that he has MUCH bigger concerns. If he's still around after the four beasts have been annihilated and whatever is causing the Waves has been neutralized, then you can preach about how he needs to do something about the continued presence of slavery, but for now he has to focus on what will get other, more urgent jobs done as soon as possible. And for that, what matters here is making it clear to anyone that would try to harm or kidnap the citizens of his territory that such actions would be a very bad idea. To that end, making it clear that the punishment will match the crime is a simple yet effective message to his enemies.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote